South Fortuna Mountain Out and Back [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(491)
Mission Trails Regional Park

South Fortuna Mountain Out and Back is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,102 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

Love Mission Trails. You can do 3-12+ miles by looping and connecting all the different ones out there. I like hitting South Fortuna for the stairs and then heading up to North Fortuna. Then I drop down by the dam so my dog can jump in the water. That way we hit the big hill back up to the peaks once as well. I get a good little work out here once a week.

Only went half way due to it ending up being 85 and this is an 8 mi total hike. Medium traffic on trail, some of it is over grown a bit once you hit Fortuna trail to the summit. Overall good hike can’t wait to come back when it’s cooler and complete it

Awesome trail. Due to covid, neighborhoods are packed for parking. Took about 2 hours.

Love these stairs

Some fire road but overall the trail was single track and had lots of ups and downs. I went at sunset so the temp was cooler :) dog friendly.

This recordings miledge should be 6.38 because i forgot to stop my recording

The stairs got me but overall a great hike!

Good trail, lots of rattlesnake sightings today. Stairs are a pain in the butt, but not too bad in general.

I really loved hiking this trail. I went early in the morning to avoid the heat and I only passed a few people on my way to the top. Saw lots of bunnies and birds and the views are amazing. It did get a little difficult more towards the top of the mountain but as long as you take your time you can make it to the top just fine.

The last mile is steep and rocky, plenty of stair steps along the way to help with footing. It was a good challenge!

Saw a 4+ foot long rattlesnake! Picture uploaded to recording

This is the second time we've done this hike and both times we got lost. There are a ton of trails that all intersect, so make sure you have a good navigator, as the trails are not very well marked. The stairs are killer and the rocks are loose so wear good hiking shoes. We did this on a 67 degree day with 7 people and 2 dogs of various athletic stamina and everyone was able to finish. Make sure you take plenty of water as a few of us ran out, even with Camelbacks. We saw friendly people and dogs all along the way. You can access the trailhead from Tierrasanta Entrance parking lot at the end of Clairmont Mesa Blvd. There are no bathrooms or water fountains at this entrance though. All in all it was a really good hike, but because we got lost we hiked 8.1 miles, climbed 1754 feet in elevation and finished in 2 hours 47 minutes.

Ended up doing the loop rather than going down the face of south. Fun and scenic. The face of south is real steep and fun.

Not crowded. Stairs! If afraid of heights it’s def scary. Very pretty hike though

Great quick hike at mission trails. About 2 hours out and back. The stairs to the summit get a little sketchy. Make sure you have good hiking shoes or boots.

Careful on rainy days! Can get really muddy. Better to wait when it dries for trail safety and maintaining trails. Great but challenging course. Love the Stairway to Heaven portion of this route

Beautiful views. A bit rocky. Steep towards the end