South Fortuna Mountain Trail

South Fortuna Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,387 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Sorry I forgot to stop my recording at the end. But I honestly feel this is a heavy hike. AT says moderate, but the signs say heavy. Two hikes up and two down so on your way back you are tired and going up. Bring water and healthy snacks.

Minimal shade and I saw a snake. Drank 3 liters of water and still had a mile left. Very hot

Beautiful trail-lots if other trails to hike

This was a little tougher than I expected. No flat areas just up and downs. Start early and bring lots of water. After you get through the first mile it’s a really enjoyable climb. The climb to the peak is very steep with stairs cut into the trail. Challenging and very nice hike overall. Not crowded at all on an early Sunday.

beautiful hike, but it was harder than expected. Drank more than 2 liters of water. i think the heat made it harder too! bring plenty of extra water.

It’s still a little warm to do this one midday but good work out :-)

Some decent inclines which I would normally categorize as moderate, however I decided to hike this in September in the middle of the day, with temperature spiking over 100. If you’re going to do that, bring plenty of water and good water resistant sunscreen, and just realize the heat will make it harder than it looks.

The stair section near the summit is NO JOKE!! Other than that, I would rate the rest of this trail as moderate. Good views in all directions at/near the summit. Nice hike!

I love this trail because there are some really steep stairs on the west side of the mountain. I hate this trail because there are some really steep stairs on the west side of the mountain. Made the mistake of too little water, started too late and decided to throw in North Fortuna for the heck of it. My body wasn’t prepared.

Nice hike. Loved running up the stairs!

I like this loop very much because I can get all my climbing done in beginning, in the morning when it's cooler, then it's all downhill and moderate from there. A gallon of water was enough for me. Saw two snakes... keep your eyes peeled.

hard but rewarding trail.

This is a fun hike with a lot of hills. Make sure to bring lots of water.

Great trail we started at 5am and we’re back at the car by 9am. We finished the whole loop and it was pretty well marked. The stairs were definitely the toughest part but it was worth it!

The trail is gravel/dirt. Fun trail with great views. I recommend taking the loop counter-clockwise so you get the toughest parts put of the way up front.

Great trail, lots of flowers, perfect weather today. Expect to take off your shoes for the river crossing.

San Diego river too high to cross safely with dogs

Great hike, excellent views!