South Fortuna Mountain Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(621)
Mission Trails Regional Park

South Fortuna Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,387 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

Awesome hike! Saw a rattler, watch out!

Was a perfect morning :) weather was great

flooded

very challenging hike to get to south fortuna from the south. most challenging hike in the park in my opinion. good work out and great views

Great trail! Busy on the weekends. Easy most of the way with challenges in some areas especially nearing the peak. Will do again!

Amazing trail; I enjoyed it so much.

flooded

This hike really surprised myself and my husband. There is a lot of different terrain- gravel, paved road, dirt, stairs. Also, some really steep inclines and declines throughout. It was tougher than I expected but overall a fun hike! Make sure to bring plenty of water as I was surprised with how much we drank.

Really enjoyed this hike. I’m from New England and this was my first hike out west. Great views and easy to follow trails. Shoes get a little wet crossing the river. The stairs to the peak are a good workout. I started at the visitor center which added about a mile and extra warm up time before the inclines.

bridge out

flooded

Hiked this trail today. Such beautiful views. The stairs at the end kicked my butt! I don't know if there's another way around it, but crossing the river at the beginning definitely gets your shoes/socks wet. wasn't prepared for that.

I didn’t know what I was in for, went for it. Suggest good hiking shoes! Except inclines. Great hike. Beautiful. For the families that hike the stairs with small children on their back impressive to say the least. Highly recommend.

flooded

Good trail walking with my parents. Steep uphill but the river pass at the beginning is flooded over right now. Easy enough to walk across the top of the mini waterfall.

Sorry I forgot to stop my recording at the end. But I honestly feel this is a heavy hike. AT says moderate, but the signs say heavy. Two hikes up and two down so on your way back you are tired and going up. Bring water and healthy snacks.

Minimal shade and I saw a snake. Drank 3 liters of water and still had a mile left. Very hot

Beautiful trail-lots if other trails to hike

This was a little tougher than I expected. No flat areas just up and downs. Start early and bring lots of water. After you get through the first mile it’s a really enjoyable climb. The climb to the peak is very steep with stairs cut into the trail. Challenging and very nice hike overall. Not crowded at all on an early Sunday.