South Fortuna Mountain

South Fortuna Mountain is a 6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Get a map at the trail head. There are a lot of trails in the park and though they are marked, they can be confusing.

When I got to the park I decided to do the San Diego River trail. It was pretty mellow. The sign said it was a moderate trail, but I'd consider this one easy in compare to other hikes I've done. The trail doesn't have an end of the trail sign so I kept on hiking until I found myself in a residential area where cars were driving a few feet away from me. So be careful if you do decide to do this trail. I bumped into other hikers who told me were a little lost bc the signs were a lil misleading.

A fun hike and the stairway to heaven definitely gives you a workout. From the summit, the North Fortuna summit is about a mile away so it's worth doing both peaks in a day since the views on North Fortuna are better.