South Fortuna Mountain

South Fortuna Mountain is a 6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Get a map at the trail head. There are a lot of trails in the park and though they are marked, they can be confusing.

I actually really liked this hike. Doing the loop trail that this suggest isn't the best approach (in my opinion) I tried going off the path for a bit and the trail was too over grown and turned back and headed straight to the summit. After going though pretty dense greenery with a nice trail you could start the climb. Climb was moderate and not to difficult. Once getting closer you get to stairs more or less and closer to the top you kind of have to do some light rock climbing which was cool. Then after you summit the south mountain you keep going and you can summit the north to. I took the route between the two summits and headed to the dam and the way down was smooth. Great views and by the water the whole trail. I personally feel like I found the best route today.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've taken recently. Incredible wildflowers and a good vigorous hike.

Gorgeous landscape thanks to the rain - beautiful hills and views of downtown San Diego. The trail could be marked better: I went too far on the service road and had to back track. I also missed the trail that leads to the South Fortuna Mt Summit. I came down that way and it's very hard - lots and lots of stairs, but so well worth it! It'll be an ass lifter for sure. I think views from North Fortuna Mt Summit might be better - I plan to do that summit next time.

I brought my dog, which was great for both of us - I generally never hike without him. The only issue was that the trail is really rocky so his paws were really sore afterwards.

Also of note is that you have to cross a waterfall to get to the trail. It wasn't too deep for me to cross with my Salomons on nor was it slippery, but I could see how this would be an issue for people in running shoes or non-waterproof shoes. Bring a small towel so you can cross barefoot and put your shoes on on the other side. Bring a big towel if you bring your dog - my guy chose to submerge himself and wet dog + car don't go together.