South Fortuna and North Fortuna Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(126)
Mission Trails Regional Park

South Fortuna and North Fortuna Loop is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,650 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Note: This park is currently closed due to COVID-19.

Park closed.

Park closed.

closed

3/1/20 Sunday morning, started around 7. Cloudy with chance of rain. We wanted to squeeze it in before the rain. Fun trail! The stairs at S. Fortuna are NO JOKE! Once your at the top then head over to North Fortuna it’s pretty much all downhill from there. I’d definitely do it again.

Lot of rocks and very steep . But amazing trail

flooded

Ended up doing just South Fortuna. I got lost 3 times going up and coming back down. So many different trails to choose from. It was rocky, it was muddy....but of course it was raining. I enjoyed the hike, the weather was perfect!

closed

Some part of trail is along fence line that will take you behind houses. Last portion of trail is closed off. Had to take Rim trail for last stretch to finish.

Great loop for a long hike or trail run. There is some great single track for running and try counting the steps on the stairway to heaven.

ohv/off road driving

All over the area. Got north and south fortuna. Lots of gnats.

Just did this hike this morning. The weather in late September was perfect. It’s much rockier than the other Mission Trails peaks. I ended up needing walking sticks that I found on the side of the trail. I did like that the trail is a loop rather than an out and back. I feel like we covered more ground that way. What’s tough is trying to follow the signs back to where we started. The trail markers could be a little clearer. We had to refer to the All Trails map as well as Map My Hike a few times to make sure we were on the right trail back. This completes my five peak challenge! These were probably my least favorite of the five peaks.

Excelente trail, hay muchos caminos para escoger si decides alargarlo o acortarlo!

I did this hike a few years back when I was in excellent shape and remembered it as fairly easy. I went back last week with 3 friends (we started the 5 peak challenge) it was much harder than I remembered but very doable! A great way to spend a morning, definitely suggest going earlier in the day to avoid heat.

Thu May 23 2019

Loved these hikes

Tue Apr 16 2019

Awesome loop, about 20 mins from the convention center. we were able to extend it by a couple miles by exploring a but. Great mix of flat and hills, and the terrain keeps you guessing. Beautiful views. Check this one out, you won't regret!

Sun Mar 03 2019

awesome hike...with the rains, i was happy most of the path was a road....the ending was nothing but mud.

Mon Dec 17 2018

Loved most of it, but not a big fan of the SD Aqueduct Service Road/Trail - the last 1.9 miles of the trail. Prefer actual trails to service roads

Sun Nov 25 2018

Really good trail run. The only recommendation I have is when you are running clockwise at the intersection of Rim Trail and SD Aqueduct Service Road/Trail/Corte Playa Catalina stay left for the 0.2 mile segment, do not go straight. The straight trail is non-existent. Go on the 0.2 segment that is parallel,it is much much better. Overall great trail run, that took about 90 minutes for us to run.