South Fork Trail to San Gorgonio Mountain via Mine Shaft Saddle

South Fork Trail to San Gorgonio Mountain via Mine Shaft Saddle is a 20.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is the long distance high altitude hike which is legendary. Best done in two days with overnight primitive camping at Dry Lake, Lodgepole, or Trail Flat. Water is found (seasonal creeks, check w/ Ranger) about four miles in at the junction of three creeks, then at Lodgepole Spring by Dry Lake. Not for the faint of heart, altitude and pack weight are serious factors. Done right, sea level hikers will have a day to acclimatize to the altitude before making the ascent to Mt. San Gorgonio from Dry Lake or Lodgepole camp sites. Overachievers can push to Fish Creek Saddle or Trail Flat camps.

Hiked this trail on Sunday, Oct 1st. This was my third summit this year of San Gorgonio. My first was from the Momyer Creek Trail. It was the longest of the three (about 24 miles), but well worth hiking the distance. I got caught in thunder showers once I hit Dollar Lake Saddle on that day.

My second summit was from the South Fork Trail via Dollar Lake. This was the shortest, but definitely the hardest (about 20 miles). Once you hit the split which either takes you to Dry Lake (to the southeast) or Dollar Lake Saddle (to the southwest), take the southwest route. It becomes very steep. You'll climb 1770' in 2.4 miles.

My third summit was also from the South Fork Trail. Instead of heading up the Dollar Lake trail, we head up the Dry Lake trail to do the loop. This one was about 22 miles and definitely the easiest of the three. In fact, although it is 4 miles longer than Vivian Creek, I would say it is easier than Vivian Creek too. Just long. If you have a filter I recommend topping off water at the Dry Lake/Dollar Lake split on the way up and down. All in all this was an awesome hike. I enjoyed seeing the C47 Monument.

Great and long hike. But well worth it. Crossed couple of streams. You have to start early as 6am to get back on time back to your car.

Just did the loop today - first time back since the fire. Such awesome/beautiful/terrifying landscape! I'm kind of fast so it was 7:15 total time....but bring water! The creek at the 5km+/- mark is the only water heading up and the only water coming down.

Awesome hike, but definitely an ass kicker!! Go well prepared and take lots of water. Took us 12 hours to complete hike.

Wildflowers are amazing!

Serene landscape. I hiked cross country and then to the trail so I did not see the closed sign at the entrance: the trail was unfortunately closed due to a recent fire. A ranger stopped me half way and send me back. The landscape is fascinating offering now a partially burnt forest with rich new vegetation and flowers starting to build a new forest. The ranger informed me that is was closed for 2 years due to a fire but will maybe reopen later this year (status June 2017).
Ranger's office closed at 4 or 4:30 pm- so better to arrive early to get a permit.

awesome trail.even got lost in it. done it a few times.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Monday, September 14, 2015

I have done this trail six times and keep conibg back for more!