South Fork Trail to San Gorgonio Mountain via Mine Shaft Saddle

South Fork Trail to San Gorgonio Mountain via Mine Shaft Saddle is a 20.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is the long distance high altitude hike which is legendary. Best done in two days with overnight primitive camping at Dry Lake, Lodgepole, or Trail Flat. Water is found (seasonal creeks, check w/ Ranger) about four miles in at the junction of three creeks, then at Lodgepole Spring by Dry Lake. Not for the faint of heart, altitude and pack weight are serious factors. Done right, sea level hikers will have a day to acclimatize to the altitude before making the ascent to Mt. San Gorgonio from Dry Lake or Lodgepole camp sites. Overachievers can push to Fish Creek Saddle or Trail Flat camps.

Wildflowers are amazing!

Serene landscape. I hiked cross country and then to the trail so I did not see the closed sign at the entrance: the trail was unfortunately closed due to a recent fire. A ranger stopped me half way and send me back. The landscape is fascinating offering now a partially burnt forest with rich new vegetation and flowers starting to build a new forest. The ranger informed me that is was closed for 2 years due to a fire but will maybe reopen later this year (status June 2017).
Ranger's office closed at 4 or 4:30 pm- so better to arrive early to get a permit.

awesome trail.even got lost in it. done it a few times.

Monday, September 14, 2015

I have done this trail six times and keep conibg back for more!

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

A wonderful but very long hike. Just an amazing experience. Did it in two days, one night. Spent the night at dry lake, made it to the summit the next morning at about noon. The hike from Dry Lake to the summit is pretty gnarly. But if I can offer any advice, it's this: BRING PLENTY OF WATER!!! There was only one spot (about 3 miles from the trailhead) where you could fill up. Other than that, nada!!! And make sure you have your permit. I saw zero hikers, but five backcountry volunteers who were nice but eager to check to my credentials, which is cool. I am glad someone is keeping on eye our wildernesses.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

This is a great hike for late spring. Be prepared for the elevation change, take your time, and have plenty of water. Some of the best views you'll ever see of the area. Awesome camping! We had the whole mountain to ourselves with only a few hikers passing by from time to time.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This is by far my favorite of all of the hikes I've done in SoCal. We went in early May and there was still plenty of snow on top. The mountain actually got a storm the day before we went so the snow went all the way down to the South Fork trailhead parking lot at 6200'. We summoned the first day after going up on the dry lake side, then went down on the Dollar lake side and camped at High Meadow. If you've never done this hike before, don't try to do it in a day. There is so much to take in and look at that all gets wasted when you're In a hurry. Other than melting snow, our only source of water was at the trail split down at south Fork Meadows.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Did this is a Whitney trainer and it is a beast when done in a day. On a par with Half Dome in a day from the Valley, if you ask me. I encircled the whole mountain by heading up via Dollar Lake saddle, and down via Dry Lake. Cool idea and glad I can say I did it, but surviving it as a day hike is not the way to go. Backpack it to avoid the agony in your legs and feet and really enjoy this area which is quite special. The highlight is obviously the highest point in Southern California. Bring a map because although some areas are very nicely marked/signed, some critical ones are completely devoid of marking, the Dry Lake Trail when heading down from the camp at Dry Lake being a fine example. Only coming up is there a sign. As for my times, up in almost exactly 5 hours, down in a tad less and I was moving. Sky View trail is how you access the summit after Dry Lake, and it's a cool trail, but be prepared for a somewhat tedious, repetitive experience. It's just a lot of traversing of scree fields and then switchbacks. Monotonous for sure. The Dollar Lake route is prettier. The summit offers spectacular views and bragging rights.

geocaching
Sunday, May 17, 2015

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Did it in one day last year. Training for Whitney. Beautiful hike

Friday, September 05, 2014

We went from the South Fork trailhead (not the campground), stayed at Lodgepole first night, summited the next afternoon. We were supposed to stay at High Meadow the second night, but got insanely lost and ended up leaving.

We went beginning of August, and there was no water. Anywhere. The creek at South Meadows had barely enough to filter. The springs we were told (by the rangers!) we could use were bone dry. We ended up out of water and almost passing out from dehydration after summitting.

If you're not an experienced hiker, don't do this as a day hike. Stay a night halfway. Your body and sanity will thank you.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

by far my favorite trail, great for training and a must do for any socal backpacker. There are multiple peaks/ views with drop boxes and sign in logs. I suggest starting at the lower parking lot along Jenks road, hike to jackstraw for night 1, then uppermeadow night2, drop your packs at the saddle and day hike San g. then return via dry lake to Jenks road. If you're tired after San g, spend the night at dry lake, the hike from dry lake to Jenks is cake, but it seems to take forever