Sostomo and Deer Valley Loop Trail

Sostomo and Deer Valley Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1994 feet

beach

We were on the trail by 0800 on the third weekend in September, parking lot had plenty Of spots but was full by the time we finished at 1000. We hiked up Solstice Canyon Trail passed the Keller House ruins and connected onto the Sostoma trail which ultimately connected to the Deer Valley Loop Trail. We added on the Rising Sun Trail on our way back down which peels off the Solstice Canyon Trail at the impressive Roberts Ranch Ruins and waterfall. The Roberts Ranch property was curiously designed by the same architect, Paul Revere Williams who designed the LAX theme building. In total 7 miles with 2000 ft of ascent. The lower trails were populated with families with the Deer Loop Trail uncrowded having seen just three trail runners. Beautiful views of the ocean higher up on the trail, and some scenic creek crossings and small waterfalls. Trails were well marked though trails higher up overgrown.

This loop is an extension to the main and populated trail of Solstice Canyon.

Parking is a private free lot which can accommodate up to about 30 cars, if it's full there are some open shoulders on the outside for overflow.

On a 7am Sunday morning traffic was relatively light. Come around 10am the main hike seemed pretty packed, especially around the points of interest.

Deer Valley Loop will add on about 2.5 miles. This segment of the hike doesn't receive many visitors, leaving the trail somewhat overgrown. If you choose to add miles onto your hike by going up, make sure you wear pants or be on the lookout for poison oak. I only saw them up here and sometimes they were on both sides of the trail.

After about two miles in along the main path is Robert's Ranch house and to its right is a small, serene waterfall. I must say I'm glad this area is monitored as the buildings are free of graffiti and trash. It is a bit of a bummer that you can't "technically" sit next to the waterfall but it's a lovely sight either way.

Keller cabin is located on the Deer Valley Loop. From older pictures I think it use to be a more touristy spot, but seems very overgrown now since not too many people make the trek anymore.

I did this hike counter clockwise on both loops. It is the harder way to go since the inclines for both is steeper and leads to a gradual descent. If you are looking for a workout make sure you go that way.

I loved how well maintained the hike was, the litter I collected all seem like they were discarded the same day. The views, the buildings, and the history makes this hike a necessary activity for anyone visiting the Santa Monica mountains.

The second loop was really overgrown and at times was hard to walk through. I was wearing shorts and a tank top and my arms and legs got cut up a bit from brushing past all the plants that were overgrown and in the trail path. Luckily we did this hike early in the morning and the marine layer kept us cool and protected from the sun.

Nice hike the upper deer trail loop is overgrown so we turned back but the rest was beautiful .. good challenging hike

The approach trail on the right side is moderately challenging and is pretty clear. Pretty good views. The sostomo trail was super overgrown and not worth the hike.