Sostomo and Deer Valley Loop Trail

Sostomo and Deer Valley Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.7 miles 1994 feet Loop

beach

Nice trail with great views. When you reach the top of Deer Valley Loop be sure to take the utility road to the top for a great view of the coast.

Lots of ups and downs. Had a great time doing this hike.

One of my favorites in the area. 6 good climbs and I recommend doing the top loop counter clockwise because you get a long stretch facing the ocean at the end.

I really liked this trail, the beginning and end are mainly in the sun but once you get up the mountain on the back loop it's much cooler and you get the ocean breeze. I'm a beginner trail runner so it had great inclines that I could run up some then walk. I would definitely do this trail again, once you get to the top the views are amazing

There's a couple different options to take on this trail - both will offer great views of the canyon, and both will include some pretty steady inclines. I did the trail that is shown on the map clockwise (both loops). The 2nd loop towards the north will take you to the peak and will offer an awesome view of the canyon and ocean beyond. The trail clocked in at a bit over 7 miles and took 3 hours. Overall a good length. I give this hike 3 stars due to the exposure on the trail (you're in the sun most of the time), so be sure to bring plenty of water if you're going to do this in the summer months. Enter the parking lot at the Solstice Canyon sign - parking is free - that will take you directly to the trailhead.

This trail was great! They were easily marked and some cool things to see along the way. I had the AllTrails app on me and had no problem seeing my position on the map along the way with or without service. I didn't the trail was very difficult, but some of the inclines were pretty steep at times. Perfect distance for a day hike. Also there are a few tables and benches around to eat on by the parking lot

Really don't understand how anyone could get lost on this hike. It's one of the most well sign-posted trails in the hood and there's a free paper map that the Park provides right at the start. Plus, it seems a lot of the confused reviews seem to be for the Solstice Canyon trail, not be Sostomo & Deer Valley loop trails which is what this should be about. regardless, it was still an enjoyable scenic hike with plenty of different terrain and as someone else's review aptly described in, has a lot of up-down-up-down trajectory rather than just your traditional up-up-up then down-down-down path. I really didn't think it was that difficult to navigate even without a map and I wouldn't rate it as hard either. More of a moderate, not unlike some other parts of the backcountry trails in the SM mountains. Lug soles/hiking shoes would definitely help you here though.

Excellent day hike for folks who want to commit to going the distance. The combined loops along with all the other scrambling we did here made our total distance about 7.6 miles, and it took us about 6 hours. I stopped to take a lot of pictures along the way.
Check out the old hunting cabins, the streams, the ocean views, etc. for a total experience. The elevation climb was very intense at times. Dog-friendly but make sure your pooch is young and in good shape.
The bad: trails are not marked well and I got pretty turned around (lost) in there. Also, encountered several bee hives.
I recommend bringing a lot of water, bug spray, sunscreen. Have fun.