Sonoma Overlook Trail

Sonoma Overlook Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sonoma, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Close to home and town, gets a bit crowded for passing at times but very enjoyable. Great views and lots of gorgeous plants, rocks and critters.

I hike this along with Montini two to three times a week . I love it every time I do it and that's why I keep doing it. Also do not hike out of bounds at the very top. As tempting as it may be do not do it especially during the summer time. It is rattlesnakes central up there. Just a heads up in case someone wants to hike out of bounds.

Decent exercise... views are delivered either at the beginning (stunning cemetery near the base) or at the end (overview of the town of Sonoma). Easy enough for kids. Overall is a bit difficult to get lost in the moment of "communing with nature" because the high amount of hiker traffic and the numerous man-made artifacts in the path and on the views (water tanks, etc).

This was my first hike in 20 years. I'm pretty out of shape so this was pretty challenging for me but I loved it. I manged to make it to the Upper Loop in about 45 minutes. Can't wait to go again the next time I'm in the area.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Dope! Been a special place for years. Keep it under your hat because you know how it goes..

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Thursday, April 07, 2016

I rated this a 5 because 1) I'm local and think it's great since it is located nearly in the heart of town and is easily accessible from the Plaza 2) it's clean and the people who hike it regularly take care of it; there's also a journal at the top to jot down thoughts, impressions, etc. and 3) it's attached to the Montini trail that heads west so you can actually get a few good miles of hike/trail run in if you hike up Overlook, head down partway and then take the other trail at the fork where one of the stone benches is. If you head west into Montini, you can go all over those trails to get a good run since the pathways are less rocky than the Overlook side and less travelled as well.