Snyder Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Barbara, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A mix of road and trail that descends the back side of the Santa Ynez Mountains.

Great trail, well maintained and easy to follow, with amazing views of the mountains. Muddy right now because of all the recent rain so wear your boots. No shade most of the way but it didn’t matter since it’s not hot right now. I started at the bottom on Paradise Road, where there’s a well marked parking area at the trail head, instead of up by Knapp’s castle on E Camino Cielo. You can’t go to the castle now, as someone purchased the property and is building a home around it. There were a couple other people on the trail in the afternoon, but nothing like the crowds on the Santa Barbara front country hikes lately. There’s not really an actual creek, just runoff down sides of the trail in places, so take water if you hike with your dogs like me. It’s also rated as “hard”, but I’d say it’s “moderate”, the elevation climb is gradual most of the way.

This trail is well marked & it is maintained so it is very easy to stay on course. This trail is rated hard because you gain quite a bit of elevation & it’s a steady incline up to the castle, great cardio. The views of the mountains & chaparrals are beautiful. The castle is on private property. As the reviewer previously mentioned Knapps Castle is being renovated & you can only admire the castle from a safe distance now. Overall this trail is great!

I just got done with the snyder trail, and it was fairly hard. Me and my wife have done a fair share of hikes but definitely not professionals. We were struggling, had to stop a few times along the way to catch our breath. Took us a little less than 2 hours to get to Knapps Castle including all the stops. I would not discourage bigger sized dogs, but not small dogs like mine since it is a bit hard. There was some that looked like poison ivy but im not sure so keep an eye out. Also, i would say its 50/50 shady and out in the open, and it is almost all uphill getting to the top. Overall a great hike and well worth getting to the top to see the castle. As of 3/3/2020 it is being renovated so there might be construction workers on the job once you get there. Very friendly though, told us it was being renovated and will be open to the public when done. 5 stars.

Alltrails app started us from the top near Knapps castle. Hiked down steep trail to the bottom to the ranger station at the campground then back up. Came out to about 8.5 miles. Watch out for mountain bikers. They come up on you fast. Would do this trip again. In January it was 50% shadded 50% sunny but I could see this being hot in the summer. Fairly well maintained trail. Beautiful views. If I were going to do this hike again I would start from the bottom near sage hill campground off paradise road then hike up and back. Regardless, it was a great day and I recommend this hike to all.

Great trail. Rigorous at some points, nice and shady in others.

Up and back to Knapp Castle. Some on road, some on trail. Great views.

We saw two horny toads, lots of beautiful blue birds and many different types of butterflies. Gorgeous vistas of mountains, valleys and lake Cachuma. Unfortunately we got a late start and by noon it was way too hot out and we decided to turn around about half way on the trail. Still was well worth it!

Pretty good definitely go in the morning before it gets too hot. Their are some surprises along the way and the views from the top are fantastic.

Wed May 22 2019

Nice clear trail with good views. Knapp castle was cool

Sun May 12 2019

good views and pretty well maintained trail, but exposed most of the way up. I recommend starting earlier in the morning. I hiked it starting from paradise rd.

Sun Mar 17 2019

It's a nice trail. I would not say its hard. Correct will - moderate. Is clean. 7 miles. Mostly sunny. Need to know - all the way up the hill and the way back down the hill. It depends on where you will start. / id you will start from the road 5N18 - will go uphill and on the way back downhill /. All ruins..... They are under construction, nothing to see. The trial has a nice view of the lake and mountains.

Tue Feb 26 2019

Beautiful views!

Sat Dec 22 2018

Pretty views, but there is broken glass everywhere. I would not recommend bringing your dog on this hike.

Wed Apr 25 2018

Good moderate hike. Some sun exposure so depending on your comfort pick an early time!

Mon Feb 26 2018

I would not rate this hike as “hard” was more like a moderate. Distance was a bit longer than AllTrails stated..Great hike to do in moderate temps as there would not be x lot of shade in the summer months. A fire break line has been cleared up most of the trail which I would assume would have been used during the Thomas fire if needed. Kind of unattractive right now but the plus side is that you don’t have to worry about poison oak and ticks and the views are still fabulous.

Sat Feb 17 2018

Great hike! Started at the top near Knapp’s Castle! Good workout!

Tue May 17 2016

Nice challenging trail, 7 miles. Starts at the top and goes downhill, the way back is uphill.

Tue Dec 02 2014

The trail runs from Camino Cielo above to Paradise Road below. It starts and ends on roads, but is single track in the middle. Knapps Castle is off a side road near the top and Wellhouse Falls is off an old spur road near the middle. I hiked down it and down toward the waterfall, then finished the route down and tried to get back to Camino Cielo via Fremont Trail. The waterfall spur is somewhat maintained for a while, but the road has become a creek and I stopped where it dropped over its own waterfall. I'll return when it is more likely that the waterfall is running and the trail isn't about to run. The main trail is easy to follow and well maintained. The same could not be said for Fremont, so I was back up along Snyder. There is a trail sign to show where the trail is at the bottom, but you need to know where you are going to find the top.