Smittle Creek Trail

Smittle Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Napa, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 419 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great easy hike on lake shore. Hardly any people, and gorgeous fall feel.

We strayed off the path and just walked along the shoreline where there was often a pretty flat but rocky pathway. Definitely got busier around lunch time. Overall, typical stroll around the lake.

It was a nice trail with lots of shade. The bathrooms and water were not available as they were under construction so bring water. The ups and downs for the first 2.5 miles, to and from, registered on my tracker as 30 flights of stairs. After the 2.5 you will run into the picnic area with additional bathrooms. Enjoy!

Nice hike along the lake. Did 8 miles. Saw no one on the trail and no one at the picnic area where you turn back around. Was a Tuesday evening

Muddy. Didn’t finish because of late start. Weaving in and out of coves made for many mini adventures with great scenic changes of moss growth, bridges and wildlife. Trail marker numbers were awesome.

Wed Oct 31 2018

It is good for relaxation. easy to walk . many resting areas near South Head. One hour walk from North to south head, BBQ there then came back . there is short cut if you don't want to walk back for an other hour can go through the paved road.

Thu May 31 2018

Nice trail. Watch out for poison oak and rattlesnakes.

Tue May 29 2018

Pretty boring trail, the lake is pretty though with lots of places to relax and cook out with family and friends. Very easy hike with little scenery

Sun May 27 2018

It’s a boring hike and then we had to pick a dozen ticks off the dog.

Mon May 21 2018

Easy little trail, we did see 3 rattle snakes on/near the trail so we probably won’t be back. If you keep your wits about you it’s a great beginners trail!

Sun Mar 18 2018

Very green. Would call it more of an easy hike, than moderate. Many bathrooms along the way. Dogs came back with ticks, so check your dogs in the spring. Narrow trail, but pretty views. No benches along the way. Bathrooms/picnic at the "turn around point". We got stuck in the rain and walked a quick mile back to our car at the trail head. Good choice as opposed to walking 2.5 miles back. Glad we went early spring. Would be very touristy in summer.

Mon Feb 05 2018

I loved this hike! I would rate it on the easier side of “moderate”, but overall really enjoyed myself and the group I came with. The dogs had a blast and there were tons of places to rest and enjoy the lakefront. Had I not been with a group, this would’ve been really fun to run as it had a good mix of hills and the path, although narrow, was easily traceable. I think the right way to do this one would be to wear a bathing suit, bring some snacks and towels, and make it into a private(ish) day in the water. We arrived late morning and got a good mix of sun and shade, I’d love to come back!

Sat Nov 18 2017

There isn't a trail here

Sun Oct 08 2017

Small hike out and back along the lake. Too touristy for my liking. Was very windy and dry the day we visited (the same day the Napa fires happened, which has been very unfortunate). It got boring and repetitive 1-2 miles into the trail so we turned back. Additionally, after reading about the history of this lake, I do not think this is my kind of place. I doubt I will visit again.

Wed Aug 09 2017

Tue May 30 2017

Nice easy, short little hike. Part of the path was closed due to a broken bridge, but the detour signs were relatively clear.

Sat Mar 25 2017

Loved the hike! Beautiful views. Part of the trail was flooded so we had to take a detour. It was perfect for the dog too!

Mon Feb 13 2017

A nice walk if you're out in that part of Berryessa. It's nice at first but it all starts to look the same after a while. Plus it's not a loop so you have to come back the same way. Just got boring after a while.

Wed Feb 01 2017

Nice hike. Beautiful lake views, trail is along lake, not heavily trafficked today (January), dog friendly, saw deer, grebes and heard bald eagles (they were hiding).

Tue Oct 11 2016

No additional dogs or humans on this trail made for a quiet day. The views were great and there were geese in the water and various butterflies dancing around.

Thu Sep 01 2016

Lake is low but views are very pretty. Woodpeckers thrive! Trail is well maintained and I am looking forward to going back in the spring. Super friendly and knowledgeable ranger at the visitor center gave us good maps too. Found no bugs.

Sat May 14 2016

Great first hike with beautiful views.

Fri Mar 04 2016

Steady easy trail, many bugs!

Mon Jun 22 2015

A nice hike. Some decent swimming access :)