Smittle Creek Trail

Smittle Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Napa, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I loved this hike! I would rate it on the easier side of “moderate”, but overall really enjoyed myself and the group I came with. The dogs had a blast and there were tons of places to rest and enjoy the lakefront. Had I not been with a group, this would’ve been really fun to run as it had a good mix of hills and the path, although narrow, was easily traceable. I think the right way to do this one would be to wear a bathing suit, bring some snacks and towels, and make it into a private(ish) day in the water. We arrived late morning and got a good mix of sun and shade, I’d love to come back!

There isn't a trail here

Small hike out and back along the lake. Too touristy for my liking. Was very windy and dry the day we visited (the same day the Napa fires happened, which has been very unfortunate). It got boring and repetitive 1-2 miles into the trail so we turned back.

Additionally, after reading about the history of this lake, I do not think this is my kind of place. I doubt I will visit again.

Nice easy, short little hike. Part of the path was closed due to a broken bridge, but the detour signs were relatively clear.

Loved the hike! Beautiful views. Part of the trail was flooded so we had to take a detour. It was perfect for the dog too!

Monday, February 13, 2017

A nice walk if you're out in that part of Berryessa. It's nice at first but it all starts to look the same after a while. Plus it's not a loop so you have to come back the same way. Just got boring after a while.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Nice hike. Beautiful lake views, trail is along lake, not heavily trafficked today (January), dog friendly, saw deer, grebes and heard bald eagles (they were hiding).

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

No additional dogs or humans on this trail made for a quiet day. The views were great and there were geese in the water and various butterflies dancing around.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Lake is low but views are very pretty. Woodpeckers thrive! Trail is well maintained and I am looking forward to going back in the spring. Super friendly and knowledgeable ranger at the visitor center gave us good maps too. Found no bugs.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Great first hike with beautiful views.

Friday, March 04, 2016

Steady easy trail, many bugs!

Monday, June 22, 2015

A nice hike. Some decent swimming access :)

Sunday, January 15, 2017