Smith Mountain Trail

Smith Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,906 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I've done rattlesnake peak, Mt Wilson. but today felt horrible my legs kept wanting to cramp up so had to go slow,sucked. Gotta say it was a great one everything aside. A little sketchy but awesome..

once you reach the fork to head up smith mountain there is A LOT of loose gravel and rocks so you have to be very careful with every step!!! kicked my butt

it was muddy because it was raining.

Hiked this trail on 5.11.19 at around 7am. it was raining a bit and cloudy which was perfect because the trail is all exposed, no shade. It’s a beautiful trail with amazing view of the canyon, all green with flowers. The first 3 miles are a warm up, then the fun beginnings scrambling up .5 to the peak. Not super hard, just take your time! Definitely a trail I would do again but of course not in the summer with crazy heat temperatures.

I feel bad giving it three stars. I just don’t think I’ll do it again and that corresponds with the 3-star description. Not nearly any shade. Wouldn’t recommend during hot months. Watch for snakes. We encountered 6 of them, including rattlesnakes. Tons of poodle dog brush, and some poison oak. The path up to the saddle before Smith Mountain is a breeze - slight incline most of the way up. The part after the saddle, ascending Smith Mountain itself, is quite steep, involves a lot of scrambling, and many encounters with pokey brush (Manzanitas mostly). Overall it was decent. You can hear motorcycles on the highway the whole time. Not my favorite, but some people may really enjoy it.

It’s a nice trail. The only annoying part is that you can hear motorcycles speeding down the highway.

It was a fun and challenging solo hike.

We hiked Smith Mountain 3/16/19, beautiful trail, relatively easy for us. We started at about 7 am and no one was in the trail, except us 3 :-) I would do it again, but this time, I want to hike the trail to my right

Great trail, but unfortunately today the weather was quite moody. There was some sun, rain, sleet and snow. I made it to the saddle as the clouds were rolling in again but I was too determined to turn back. Continuing on, the last mile to the peak was covered in sticky wet snow, 100% needed waterproof boots or micro spikes. With the clouds visibility was poor so I got to the peak as fast as I could and the turned right back around. This is where all the sliding and slipping happened but eventually I made my way back down and was glad I still went through with everything. The snow and all the bushes at the last mile and half to the peak make it a little tricky to stay on the path but with the map on this app, I was fine. Needles to say if you go on a non-sunny day make sure you have rain gear or a change of clothes. :)

Gorgeous views for most of the hike, and once you get to the top you can see all the way to other mountain ranges. No shade at the top, but the views are incredible. We were glad of our hiking poles and long pants for the scramble near the top. The bushes are spiny and were really close to the trail.

This trail is tough but worth it! There is a parking area at the trailhead but it does require an adventure pass. The first mile has a good amount of incline with the next two being pretty easy. The final ascent is only about .4 mile but the incline is pretty intense and there are a few rock scrambling sections. I would definitely recommend proper hiking boots and poles for the descent. The view at the top is completely worth it! Gorgeous 360. Its a tough one but you should go for it!

One of my favorite hikes, did it roundtrip from the first West Fork parking, went up Bear Creek, past the turnoff aways, then back down to continue the trail up to the saddle, climbed Smith Mt., then on to Hwy. 39 and ran that back to my vehicle. Almost 20 miles total.

Friday, October 12, 2018

A steep, sweaty initial climb, followed by a gradual incline to the saddle. Definitely a fitness challenge to scale the summit, with a half-mile scramble full of rocks and loose gravel. Definitely doable if one takes their time, and worth the view!

Saturday, September 08, 2018

Great trail, very secluded and very intense ! First mile up is the worst, the incline is insane! the rest is still challenging but a breeze compared to the start .

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Fun day hike! Be sure to buy a parking pass for $5 at the “Staging Area” before driving up to the trail head. Last third of the hike was pretty steep and had to scramble. The trail wasn’t busy at all. Very minimal shade so definitely bring a hat and lots of water and start early!

Saturday, July 21, 2018

excellent quiet hike

Sunday, June 17, 2018

This was an amazing hike. Not crowded. Had the Trail head all to myself. Climbing shoes not needed. Take lots of water

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Awesome little trail for a day hike. The trail starts with a decent amount of incline to about a mile of flat cruising before a challenging half mile of intensive incline. The views are hidden from you because of the steepness, so you only get to see the views at the top. Nifty little peak with nice views

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

We started on this trail and proceeded to hike down to Upper Bear Creek campground. great views the entire way.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Beautiful views all the way up

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

only did part of the trail. scorching sun and no shade

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Couldn't find the trail head. Ended up doing pigeon ridge. Any one have any advice on finding the trail head. Trying to do in two days.