Smith Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,906 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy trail until the last half mile, then a bit of a scramble with a lot of overgrown bushes. Not technically difficult but could use a little trail maintenance. I think the overgrowth makes the scrambling worse than it is. Gorgeous views from the summit though. Lots of flat space to rest at the top. Wear bug spray, I got a few mosquito bites as water runs through the lower part of the trail.

First ever hike was Peter's Canyon . 04/25/2020 was my second ever hike and it was this one. Got 4 other friends to go on it with me. Started around 1pm finished at around 4pm. Amazing hike , kinda hard cause of the sun but easily manageable if you're well hydrated and bring enough water. We are all about 215-230pounds around 5"10 , so its suitable for any begginer who wants to challenge themselves a bit. Only warning I can give is dont try and go off the trail , we did this and not even 2 minutes off the trail we had to run down the path a solid 100-150feet tripping over eachother cause a swarm of bees came after us. heart SANK. Fun thought , really gives the "wilderness" vibes.

Trail was definitely a work out, reminded me of strawberry peak because of the gradual incline. Trail is open and wide until the last less than a mile where you have to go uphill. Not so much of a rock scramble but you do need shoes with good grip. Most people turn back from the saddle, I didn't really see much of a view as it was fogy. Start early to avoid the heat and take water with you.

It’s been about 4 years since I last hiked this one, but it’s still a very enjoyable trail. Started out at 6:30, reached the summit at 8:00, and was finished at 10:00. The first 3 miles is a very nice moderate grade up to the saddle with approximately 1,200 feet of gain, the last 3/10 to the summit is 730 feet of gain. Saw one hiker coming off the summit just as I was arriving, and passed 14 others as I was coming down. It was fairly easy to step off the trail for social distancing but it was always a good spot in the trail when someone approached. This trail is tight in some places especially in the final push, but a large portion of the trail can be viewed at any one time allowing you to see who’s coming. If your going to hike this or any other trail during this time please don’t overcrowd the trail, I’m sure if your like me you won’t want to see all of the trails closed. Enjoy and most of all stay safe.

This is a moderate hike to the saddle of the mountain with great views and minor overgrowth along the way. However, once you arrive at the base of the mountain (marked by wooden posts) the intense incline begins. A doable portion will get you a little over halfway up to the summit, and only advanced hikers should attempt the final scramble to the top. Be safe.

Great trail, we hiked with our dogs and there are so many ticks. Just be prepared for ticks. We kept stopping to pull off the ticks

Phone read 7.13m in 2:38:36 with 2023ft of gain. First few miles gradual up then a very cool scramble to the top. Trail is a tad overgrown but nothing serious. The trail was considerably warmer than all trails predicted (15°ish). Day I was there the trail had 6” of snow from the shoulder to the peak. Awesome views of surrounding areas. My 2nd visit this year and a hidden gem for sure.

Honestly - not worth the effort. First two miles are gradual uphill. For most of that, you're passing chaparral, retaining walls and rocks tagged with graffiti while listening to motorcycles and cars with deliberately loud mufflers screaming at breakneck speed around corners on the highway (we actually had to wait 20+ minutes about a mile south of the trailhead while a helicopter medevaced a motorcylist from the middle of HWY 39). About 1.5 miles in you take a turn and the engine sounds die down. There's no trees, and almost no shade. It was 18º hotter than the weather report on the AllTrails app forecasted - mid-November and about 90º with no shade. It must be like a blast furnace during the summer months. After the saddle, you head straight up. It's about a mile to the top, and the non-existent trail weaves through dense brush, sand, rocks, sticker bushes and then tops out to a pretty mediocre view and - surprise - the shriek of motorcycles and suped up Honda Civics again. The grade is steep, the thorns are sharp, and the graffiti and Indy 500 engine screaming just didn't make for a very fun day out of the city for us.