Sly Park Jenkinson Lake Loop Trail

Sly Park Jenkinson Lake Loop Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pollock Pines, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

whitewater kayaking

Summer boating, fall colors, winter snowshoeing, and spring waterfalls make this El Dorado park enjoyable year round The trails around Jenkinson Lake can be visited on horseback, mountain bike and foot. This guide, however, is going to focus on hiking. The full route, if you go all the way around, is just over 8 miles. With the continuous ups and downs it can feel like a lot further though. The total elevation change is insignificant but the small "whoopdedoos" can amount to hundreds and even thousands of feet perceived elevation change. Good physical endurance is a must if you're going to make it all the way. Jenkinson Lake at Sly Park has outdoor activities all times of the year. Snowshoes, cross-country skiing, boating and swimming are enjoyed by many. It's a huge park with more features than most people can visit in one day. There are events in the park that include everything from community mixers to the yearly "Run on the Sly". This park has been voted "Best Recreation Facility by the Mountain Democrat newspaper year after year.

We hiked the south side of Lake to falls. Well maintained trail that's almost all shade. The falls were really nice. Plenty of spots to stop and enjoy the lake.

we loved it. we went clockwise which means you go through all the campgrounds first and then after the waterfalls you have the private area the private part of the hike the second half is a lot more up and down Hills so if I did it again I would go counter-clockwise and it is longer than 7.7 we clocked in around 8.8.

I feel like I am pretty picky when it comes to trails, but I really enjoyed this one. I am even willing to go back and would like to go ahead and do the stroll around the lake.
I brought my out of shape dog and my friend who isn't used to hiking. We started at the Bumpy Meadows Trailhead (vaulted toilets and $5). The realistic goal for my dog and friend was to get to the waterfall and go back (6 miles).
We got a late start, so I started off pretty peeved. Then, just a short jaunt down to the water and some disrespectful humans left a man made fire ring AND a pack of uneaten burritos, which my dog managed to get a bite out of before I got them away.
Even though we started late, there really wasn't many people. There was shade the majority of the trail. There was a lot of mosquitos, so bring bug spray, I only got bitten 11 times (that is a pretty low count for me).
The water was a beautiful green blue and so deliciously cool. The rocks weren't slippery, so off the shoes went and I was able to get in there and set up my tripod. :)
It was a really peaceful hike. I was happily surprised how many people had their dogs on leashes, most trails require this, but I rarely see people follow it.
Really the only disappointment was all the trash that I saw.

Great Hike! My friend and I took our kids (7 children-all under 10 years old) and they did great! The trail was easy enough to follow, with minimal hills. We passed a few mountain bikers and horseback riders along the way, all of which were very kind and patient with our little hiking group! The waterfall was beautiful and refreshing and the kids loved exploring the entire area.