Learn more

Slide Mountain Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Castaic, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.8 mi Elevation gain 2,559 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Getting There

An Adventure Pass is required for this trail. The map here has been changed to reflect the closed gate. The trail now starts at the closed gate, so the mileage listed is accurate for the whole out-and-back hike. Clicking the Directions button should lead you to the correct location. A gentle climb on fire road and trail to the sometimes manned fire lookout at the top of Slide Mountain. The trail starts 1.9 miles after the locked gate on the old Golden State Highway and climbs in a gentle but steady grade up along a fire road for 1.5 miles to a turnout where the volunteer fire lookouts park. It continues 2.5 miles at about the same grade to the top of the mountain and the lookout gaining views of deep canyons to the south and west and Pyramid Lake to the north. While the trail is accessible year round, snow can be found in the winter months and scorching temperatures can be found in the summer months.

Parking stalls line both sides of the old highway at the road block at Fisherman's Flat. Picnic tables are provided in the flat and a pit toilet is provided about 0.1 mile along the road from the parking.

From I-5 north of Castaic and south of Gorman, exit at Templin Highway and turn west. Turn right at Golden State Highway and park at the end of the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (143)
Photos (200)
Recordings (128)
Completed (174)
Jackie P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingRocky

This trail was challenging for me, it’s not that it was HARD HARD but it’s a steady way uphill and it was also super hot! It kicked my butt but when I saw the stairs of the little lookout in the distance I almost cried it was such a relief! Came on a Saturday and I only saw 2 other hikers. It was pretty lonely for a weekend. I liked this trail and I would come again in the future. I recommend it if you want a workout! I think I would come on a cloudy day next time. The first 1.6 miles are just a paved road and then the trail starts at your left. We also spotted a snake sunbathing but I read somewhere that if you make noise it scares them away so that’s what we did and it worked. Happy hiking!

View Jackie's Recording
Tina Reilly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 14 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grown

Great trail! Beautiful views at the top. Little to no shade. For the first 1.7 miles you are hiking a paved road to get to trailhead. The couple ahead of us brought bikes and chained them up at trailhead. Such a great idea!

Richard Passmore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed May 06 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grown

Holy 20+ MPH sustained winds Batman! I started out early at the gate of Old Hwy 99, and was blasted by the wind until Kermet's Corner. However, once the wind stopped, the trail became overgrown with 4ft. tall brush. Closer to the summit, the trail cleared up, but the winds returned. This trail is an out and back type trail, with very little shade. Lots of beautiful wild flowers. Did not see/hear a mountain lion as previously mentioned, but did see lots of lizards, bees, and a rabbit. Luckily, the strong winds kept the heat at bay. Once at the summit, you're rewarded with spectacular views of Pyramid Lake, the surrounding mountain ranges, and a USFS Fire Lookout Tower. Highly recommended this hike.

View Richard's Recording
Sabra Stratton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri May 01 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike! However about a half mile after turning off the paved road onto trail we heard a mountain lion growl about five feet from us in a Bush. We didn’t have proper equipment to fend off lion so we turned back. I’m sure once this trail has heavier traffic this won’t be as big of a problem. Otherwise truly lovely and remote!

Albert Wong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 26 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grown

Gorgeous view on top. It is fun that you can climb on to the roof of the watch tower. Very exploded with no shade, will not do this trail on a hot summer day, but If you do, bring no less than 1 liter of water. Some session of the trial is over grown, but you can still find the trail easily. I finished in a little bit more than 4 hrs.

Meg Milbank
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 25 2020
HikingBugsOver grown
View Meg's Recording
Christy “CC” Cheung
Hiking

Fully exposed. Start early. Passed an angry snake hissing along side the trail. If you're going up soon, bring an extra writing pen to leave at the register because the back up is almost out of ink.

View Christy “CC”'s Recording
Lily Dinkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 16 2020
HikingNo shade

Great trail but definitely wouldn’t want to do it in the summer. A bit more strenuous than expected! Was out last Saturday and only saw a few other groups.

Adrian Guerrero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 22 2020
Hiking

Breath taking views! I surprisingly so lots of people on the trail. I went early, so I missed the rush (I saw them on my way down). Things to note: -It has a steady incline, but not insane. -It’s exposed. -Some water available at top (for emergencies, if needed, as it can get hot during the summer). -THE VIEWS!!

Mari Montes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 16 2020
HikingBugs

Logged 11.7 miles. Weather was a high of 74, exposure was tolerable I would not want to come on a day hotter than that. After the road, once you begin the hike, it’s a steady incline to the top. Love the views!

View Mari's Recording
Jeremy Phillips
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 19 2020
Hiking

What a difference. Hiked this trail 5 months ago and it was about 100 degrees. Today it is in the 60s and it was a totally different experience. This is still a challenging hike but much easier in the cooler weather. I carried 1.5 L of water and barely drank anything.

View Jeremy's Recording
David Diaz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Dec 18 2019
Rocky

its not hard nor easy, it's just a long hike.

Jeremy Phillips
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 28 2019
Hiking

Begins with a 1.5 mile walk up an asphalt road past Frenchman's flats. At that point you take a left and cross a low gate. from that point you hike up a narrow road for about a mile. Then the trail turns into a single lane with tons of switchbacks. the grade is gradual but long enough to make this very challenging. Don't even think about trying this during mid day. We started at about 6:30 in July and that was too late. should have started at 5:00.

View Jeremy's Recording
Juan Carlos Ducca
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 27 2019
Mountain bikingBugsNo shade

Rode today up to the fire tower lookout on Slide Mountain, escaping the Ventura June gloom. Once you park at the end of the road on the old Golden State highway (adventure pass required because there are bathrooms and picnic tables), it is about 1.6 miles to the trail head. Notice that there is no sign, just a white and black steel gate with the name of the fire road. After a mile the single track trail beguins, it gets a bit narrow at some points but it's pretty much ridable if you have the stamina. I had to hike my bike on some sections, not that it's too steep it is just a continuous grind.掠. At the tower the views are amazing, the is a box filled with water bottles ❤️. I still had enough water on my camelback so I passed. The downhill ride was awesome, very smooth dirt road. It was 91 degrees by the time I got back to the car.

emily u
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 01 2019
HikingBugsNo shade
View emily's Recording
Michelle Van Hoek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Mar 26 2019

Beautiful hike. Take a yummy sandwich... the tower has a beautiful view...great for a picnic.

Haydee Lopez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 24 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeRockyScramble
View Haydee's Recording
JOANN JUE
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Mar 11 2019

Overall good challenge.

Regina G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Oct 29 2018

Road ends at the closed gate and theres a 1.8 mile walk to the trailhead. Very buggy, but the view at the summit is well worth the steepness. Theres a lovely fire lookout with a box of bottled waters waiting for you at the top. Lightly trafficked but the rangers are super nice.

Kim Gautho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 09 2018
Hiking

Parking requires a "Discovery pass". I did not have one but Thomas the Ranger was nice and let me through 'just this once'. To get to the trail head I had to walk a mile and a half down a hot unshaded asphalt road (3 mi round trip). Once you reach the trail head it's all uphill. I started in the middle of the day in hot September. It was 89° when I started and climbed to over 100 during my hike. I abandoned the uphill climb after the 1st mile and got into the creek to cool off on my way back to my car. There were some pretty views of the reservoir as I climbed. This would probably be more fun if you did it in the cooler months and or started much earlier in the day.