Slick Rock Road

Slick Rock Road is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kit Carson, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 173 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Hwy 4 to Lake Alpine, just past Bear Valley Ski Resort. Trailhead is along the west side of Lake Alpine. Cleary marked signage points the way.

ohv/off road driving

nice trail with very difficult spots. not really passable without a great spotter or a winch. went both directions, very fun! great spots by mountain Creek.

ohv/off road driving

This trail is extremely scenic and challenging especially with the new reroute on the North end of the trail near Alpine Lake.

warning that the lake Alpine side has a reroute that has a steep climb with loose rocks followed by a sharp turn with stacks of medium rocks with not much of a line. I would recommend 35s for the new section, and lockers since it's a steep climb coming from Utica towards Alpine.

ohv/off road driving

Completed the trail with my jeep group, we did the trail from North to South, did it on 33s and one locker and I would say that is the minimum if you know your rig and have sliders and skid plates.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail it reminds me of a short Rubicon Trail. Views are very scenic. There are bypass for the harder section but there is no bypass for the new section of this trail about quarter mile from the trail head. Other than that you can make this trail either easy by taking the bypass or challenging by taking on the harder section.

ohv/off road driving

South Utica Reservoir to North Alpine lake. Challenging towards the end (north) as you come up a hill on the new trail!

Sun Jan 06 2019

Several Technical challenges and requires other drivers and a spotter. Went with the Madhatters 4x4 off road group and had a great first time out! We started from the south and turned around at Wench Hill which was backed up and was significantly challenging for new rock crawlers like myself. Bring a camera and friends... tons of fun.

Tue Nov 27 2018

This is a pretty awesome trail. The new sections puts this trail into Hard territory. I have a rock buggy on 1 tons and 43’s and I have run this trail many times, it is always fun. Last run there was a group of broke Jeeps on one of the obstacles and I took a bypass line around them and proceeded to beat on my rig harder than I have in a long time, but I was able to get around. The group of Jeepers were on 33-35’s and they didn’t look like they’d return.

Sun Nov 11 2018

Just did slick rock 3.5 hrs sweet run 35”tires rock sliders is a must.

Tue Sep 18 2018

A group of us drove this trail yesterday and it was pretty awesome. The new reroute had one really tough hill that takes some work to get down. Rock rails are a must have item and I would suggest having a minimum of 33" tires. If you're in a JKU then you will be dragging on your skid plates.

Mon Sep 03 2018

I got a stock JL Rubicon with 35s no lift , was able to go trough the new section ( rubbed on the skid plates and pulled the winch ones ) , used the bypass on the stairs till next time when I’ll be back with a 2.5 inch lift , will be enough.. great trail - don’t go alone !

Mon Sep 03 2018

First time, made it through no problem in my Rubicon with 35’s. Great trail, plan to spend time at the lake and bring your suit! Definitely will go again

Thu Aug 30 2018

I prefer to go from lake alpine to Utica reservoir. it's not harder but I like it better. fun trail takes 2-3 hours to go straight through. baby Rubicon. would not recommend stock vehicles

Sun Aug 26 2018

I was in the area and didn't think my stock K1500 with 32" tires would handle it but figured I'd just see and turn around if it didn't look doable. I didn't have to go further than the first rock obstacle to figure out there was absolutely no way unless I wanted to thrash the truck. About this same time a newer Tacoma with 34" tires was coming up the bypass after coming to the same conclusion about his truck. The Jeep Rubicon in front of me made it through the first obstacle fine but I ended up seeing him later and he turned around because he didn't want to chance it solo. As the review below stated, if you don't have 35" tires, expect damage.

Wed Aug 08 2018

Went with a group of vehicles back in the first of July. this is a fun trail and if your rig has 35" tires or smaller you will be scraping your undercarriage. A few one rig got some body damage, one broke a ball joint. I would suggest taking at least one person with experience on this trail. Plan spending more time because there is a nice stream to hangout at and Lake Alpine, plus some of the obstacles can be tough.

Tue Aug 07 2018

Solo run yesterday. Fantastic trail. Clear of fallen trees. Bring your swimsuit

Mon Aug 06 2018

New reroute is open

Tue May 22 2018

Great trail but definitely go with others. My stock two door rubicon did well, tho I did scrape the skid plates underneath a bit. It’s better suited for vehicles with more ground clearance and bigger tires.

Fri May 11 2018

does anyone know if slick rock is open yet? I would like to go up this weekend

Fri Feb 02 2018

Are there trails that I’d be able to take my stock 2017 tundra on? I’m not expecting to do rock crawling, I just want to get on some dirt roads and climb up the mountain to see some beautiful sites!

Sat Aug 26 2017

It's a down out and up back trail. The start was a little tricky because it passes through a posted private property area. Stay on the "road" and you're good.

Mon Aug 14 2017

We rode Mt Bikes down from Lake Alpine. There were plenty of spots where we had to get off and walk but what a beautiful trail. There were a lot of Jeeps and rock crawlers and it was fun to watch them climb the the big obstacle on the Utica side. There's a spot about 1/3 of the way from Lake Alpine where it opens up to a sea of granite and a stream running through there were people camping there. It's an amazing spot

Wed Jun 29 2016

Fantastic location for hitting the trail, great camping. People on the trail were fantastic except for this one Dick with a full size Chevy that had no business being on the trail Be responsible, pack your trash out and know your limitations

Thu Sep 10 2015

This was not an easy trail. With new boulders and trail difficulty, it was more like a moderate to low hard trail. I spoke with the Jeep group I went with an he said it wasn't easy either. The trail its self was amazing. Had a great time and will do it again any day.

Sun Jan 12 2014

I do not think I actually found the trail. There was a large tree down at the beginning of Cn45 and I walked in from there. The road forks early on; one way flat with power lines along it, one way up hill. I chose uphill and had a nice hike. I turned around after an hour. I believe another 20-30 minutes and I would have reached the ridge and had a nice view of the Sierras to the north.

Tue Sep 17 2013

I just posted a photo here. I am looking to find the trail for this view, somewhere near Arnold, CA. If you have any suggestions or know where it is please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.