Learn more

Slick Rock Road is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kit Carson, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 3.8 mi Elevation gain 173 ft Route type Out & Back

Muddy

Rocky

Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Hwy 4 to Lake Alpine, just past Bear Valley Ski Resort. Trailhead is along the west side of Lake Alpine. Cleary marked signage points the way.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (47)
Photos (36)
Recordings (16)
Completed (71)
JosHua Villarreal Flores
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
OHV/Off Road Driving

Just did this trail !!! From Utica to alpine lake !!! All I can say ... epic !!! I have a 3rd gen Tacoma 4x4 .... Must have at least 33s And some rocksliders if your not lifted 3in or more !! Lockers is a must !!! 3rd last obstacle is the worst !!! Make sure to have a winch or have a buddy with a winch ! Don’t attempt alone It’s easier if your attempting coming out on Utica If you attempt coming out thru alpine lake that’s where it gets interesting!!!

James Figueroa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2020
OHV/Off Road Driving

Trail gets pretty difficult in a few places. Had a stock rubicon in our group that did fine but took a beating along the way. Didn’t have to winch but it’s a good idea to have one here. Great trail overall!

View James's Recording
Nick Lantz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020
OHV/Off Road Driving

Currently closed. Posted signs at the trailhead say the trail will open June 30, 2020.

Alex Mousavi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingRocky
View Alex's Recording
Alex Klim
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2019

nice trail with very difficult spots. not really passable without a great spotter or a winch. went both directions, very fun! great spots by mountain Creek.

Mike Norman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingRocky

This trail is extremely scenic and challenging especially with the new reroute on the North end of the trail near Alpine Lake.

Alex Mousavi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2019
HikingRocky

warning that the lake Alpine side has a reroute that has a steep climb with loose rocks followed by a sharp turn with stacks of medium rocks with not much of a line. I would recommend 35s for the new section, and lockers since it's a steep climb coming from Utica towards Alpine.

Matthew Neff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

Completed the trail with my jeep group, we did the trail from North to South, did it on 33s and one locker and I would say that is the minimum if you know your rig and have sliders and skid plates.

Anthony Estonilo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

Great trail it reminds me of a short Rubicon Trail. Views are very scenic. There are bypass for the harder section but there is no bypass for the new section of this trail about quarter mile from the trail head. Other than that you can make this trail either easy by taking the bypass or challenging by taking on the harder section.

View Anthony's Recording
Anthony Estonilo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

South Utica Reservoir to North Alpine lake. Challenging towards the end (north) as you come up a hill on the new trail!

View Anthony's Recording
mick welch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 6, 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

Several Technical challenges and requires other drivers and a spotter. Went with the Madhatters 4x4 off road group and had a great first time out! We started from the south and turned around at Wench Hill which was backed up and was significantly challenging for new rock crawlers like myself. Bring a camera and friends... tons of fun.

Max Haueter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2018

This is a pretty awesome trail. The new sections puts this trail into Hard territory. I have a rock buggy on 1 tons and 43’s and I have run this trail many times, it is always fun. Last run there was a group of broke Jeeps on one of the obstacles and I took a bypass line around them and proceeded to beat on my rig harder than I have in a long time, but I was able to get around. The group of Jeepers were on 33-35’s and they didn’t look like they’d return.

Mike Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 11, 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

Just did slick rock 3.5 hrs sweet run 35”tires rock sliders is a must.

Matthew Gilbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

A group of us drove this trail yesterday and it was pretty awesome. The new reroute had one really tough hill that takes some work to get down. Rock rails are a must have item and I would suggest having a minimum of 33" tires. If you're in a JKU then you will be dragging on your skid plates.

Alex Berger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

I got a stock JL Rubicon with 35s no lift , was able to go trough the new section ( rubbed on the skid plates and pulled the winch ones ) , used the bypass on the stairs till next time when I’ll be back with a 2.5 inch lift , will be enough.. great trail - don’t go alone !

Shannon Baier

First time, made it through no problem in my Rubicon with 35’s. Great trail, plan to spend time at the lake and bring your suit! Definitely will go again

David Godman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2018

I prefer to go from lake alpine to Utica reservoir. it's not harder but I like it better. fun trail takes 2-3 hours to go straight through. baby Rubicon. would not recommend stock vehicles

Todd L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

I was in the area and didn't think my stock K1500 with 32" tires would handle it but figured I'd just see and turn around if it didn't look doable. I didn't have to go further than the first rock obstacle to figure out there was absolutely no way unless I wanted to thrash the truck. About this same time a newer Tacoma with 34" tires was coming up the bypass after coming to the same conclusion about his truck. The Jeep Rubicon in front of me made it through the first obstacle fine but I ended up seeing him later and he turned around because he didn't want to chance it solo. As the review below stated, if you don't have 35" tires, expect damage.

Joel Dias
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

Went with a group of vehicles back in the first of July. this is a fun trail and if your rig has 35" tires or smaller you will be scraping your undercarriage. A few one rig got some body damage, one broke a ball joint. I would suggest taking at least one person with experience on this trail. Plan spending more time because there is a nice stream to hangout at and Lake Alpine, plus some of the obstacles can be tough.

daniel guillory
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2018

Solo run yesterday. Fantastic trail. Clear of fallen trees. Bring your swimsuit

Laura Applegate
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2018

New reroute is open

Mike Montero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 22, 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

Great trail but definitely go with others. My stock two door rubicon did well, tho I did scrape the skid plates underneath a bit. It’s better suited for vehicles with more ground clearance and bigger tires.

AJ Venegas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2018

does anyone know if slick rock is open yet? I would like to go up this weekend

Carlos Robles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 2, 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

Are there trails that I’d be able to take my stock 2017 tundra on? I’m not expecting to do rock crawling, I just want to get on some dirt roads and climb up the mountain to see some beautiful sites!

Katherine T B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 26, 2017
Hiking

It's a down out and up back trail. The start was a little tricky because it passes through a posted private property area. Stay on the "road" and you're good.

Sombrasfam P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 14, 2017
Mountain biking

We rode Mt Bikes down from Lake Alpine. There were plenty of spots where we had to get off and walk but what a beautiful trail. There were a lot of Jeeps and rock crawlers and it was fun to watch them climb the the big obstacle on the Utica side. There's a spot about 1/3 of the way from Lake Alpine where it opens up to a sea of granite and a stream running through there were people camping there. It's an amazing spot

Chris V.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2016
OHV/Off Road Driving

Fantastic location for hitting the trail, great camping. People on the trail were fantastic except for this one Dick with a full size Chevy that had no business being on the trail Be responsible, pack your trash out and know your limitations

Shawn Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2015
OHV/Off Road Driving

This was not an easy trail. With new boulders and trail difficulty, it was more like a moderate to low hard trail. I spoke with the Jeep group I went with an he said it wasn't easy either. The trail its self was amazing. Had a great time and will do it again any day.

Rachel Womack Maricich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 12, 2014
Hiking

I do not think I actually found the trail. There was a large tree down at the beginning of Cn45 and I walked in from there. The road forks early on; one way flat with power lines along it, one way up hill. I chose uphill and had a nice hike. I turned around after an hour. I believe another 20-30 minutes and I would have reached the ridge and had a nice view of the Sierras to the north.

Rachel DeLuna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2013

I just posted a photo here. I am looking to find the trail for this view, somewhere near Arnold, CA. If you have any suggestions or know where it is please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.