Slick Rock Road

Slick Rock Road is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kit Carson, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 603 feet Route Type: Out & Back

off road driving

Hwy 4 to Lake Alpine, just past Bear Valley Ski Resort. Trailhead is along the west side of Lake Alpine. Cleary marked signage points the way.

off road driving

Several Technical challenges and requires other drivers and a spotter. Went with the Madhatters 4x4 off road group and had a great first time out! We started from the south and turned around at Wench Hill which was backed up and was significantly challenging for new rock crawlers like myself. Bring a camera and friends... tons of fun.

This is a pretty awesome trail. The new sections puts this trail into Hard territory. I have a rock buggy on 1 tons and 43’s and I have run this trail many times, it is always fun. Last run there was a group of broke Jeeps on one of the obstacles and I took a bypass line around them and proceeded to beat on my rig harder than I have in a long time, but I was able to get around. The group of Jeepers were on 33-35’s and they didn’t look like they’d return.

off road driving

Just did slick rock 3.5 hrs sweet run 35”tires rock sliders is a must.

off road driving

A group of us drove this trail yesterday and it was pretty awesome. The new reroute had one really tough hill that takes some work to get down. Rock rails are a must have item and I would suggest having a minimum of 33" tires. If you're in a JKU then you will be dragging on your skid plates.

off road driving

I got a stock JL Rubicon with 35s no lift , was able to go trough the new section ( rubbed on the skid plates and pulled the winch ones ) , used the bypass on the stairs till next time when I’ll be back with a 2.5 inch lift , will be enough.. great trail - don’t go alone !

First time, made it through no problem in my Rubicon with 35’s. Great trail, plan to spend time at the lake and bring your suit! Definitely will go again

I prefer to go from lake alpine to Utica reservoir. it's not harder but I like it better. fun trail takes 2-3 hours to go straight through. baby Rubicon. would not recommend stock vehicles

off road driving

I was in the area and didn't think my stock K1500 with 32" tires would handle it but figured I'd just see and turn around if it didn't look doable. I didn't have to go further than the first rock obstacle to figure out there was absolutely no way unless I wanted to thrash the truck. About this same time a newer Tacoma with 34" tires was coming up the bypass after coming to the same conclusion about his truck. The Jeep Rubicon in front of me made it through the first obstacle fine but I ended up seeing him later and he turned around because he didn't want to chance it solo. As the review below stated, if you don't have 35" tires, expect damage.

off road driving

Went with a group of vehicles back in the first of July. this is a fun trail and if your rig has 35" tires or smaller you will be scraping your undercarriage. A few one rig got some body damage, one broke a ball joint. I would suggest taking at least one person with experience on this trail. Plan spending more time because there is a nice stream to hangout at and Lake Alpine, plus some of the obstacles can be tough.

Solo run yesterday. Fantastic trail. Clear of fallen trees. Bring your swimsuit

New reroute is open

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Great trail but definitely go with others. My stock two door rubicon did well, tho I did scrape the skid plates underneath a bit. It’s better suited for vehicles with more ground clearance and bigger tires.

Friday, May 11, 2018

does anyone know if slick rock is open yet? I would like to go up this weekend

Friday, February 02, 2018

Are there trails that I’d be able to take my stock 2017 tundra on? I’m not expecting to do rock crawling, I just want to get on some dirt roads and climb up the mountain to see some beautiful sites!

Saturday, August 26, 2017

It's a down out and up back trail. The start was a little tricky because it passes through a posted private property area. Stay on the "road" and you're good.

Monday, August 14, 2017

We rode Mt Bikes down from Lake Alpine. There were plenty of spots where we had to get off and walk but what a beautiful trail. There were a lot of Jeeps and rock crawlers and it was fun to watch them climb the the big obstacle on the Utica side. There's a spot about 1/3 of the way from Lake Alpine where it opens up to a sea of granite and a stream running through there were people camping there. It's an amazing spot

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Fantastic location for hitting the trail, great camping. People on the trail were fantastic except for this one Dick with a full size Chevy that had no business being on the trail Be responsible, pack your trash out and know your limitations

Thursday, September 10, 2015

This was not an easy trail. With new boulders and trail difficulty, it was more like a moderate to low hard trail. I spoke with the Jeep group I went with an he said it wasn't easy either. The trail its self was amazing. Had a great time and will do it again any day.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

I do not think I actually found the trail. There was a large tree down at the beginning of Cn45 and I walked in from there. The road forks early on; one way flat with power lines along it, one way up hill. I chose uphill and had a nice hike. I turned around after an hour. I believe another 20-30 minutes and I would have reached the ridge and had a nice view of the Sierras to the north.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I just posted a photo here. I am looking to find the trail for this view, somewhere near Arnold, CA. If you have any suggestions or know where it is please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Friday, July 26, 2013

We hiked from Utica to lake Alpine! AMAZING hard and so rewarding! I can't wait to do it again! There were a few jeeps Crawling but it didn't matter we got out of their way an watched them do their thing!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Drove this in my 07 xterra with 3 inch lift and 33s. Awesome trail not too difficult just right, the last feature was a good challenge without a locker but winched right up.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

I traveled Slick Rock trail in my 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser which is modified, lifted with oversized tires. This trail is quite scenic and very fun.

Sunday, October 15, 2017