Lake Marie Trail

Lake Marie Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Napa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

A great half-day hike, rivalling Mt. St. Helena for enjoyment and views. Experience oak forest and open grasslands. There is a $5 parking fee.

A bit hard to find the trail head from the parking lot but it's a great sunny day hike with deer and turkeys right up to the trail edges. Beautiful views of wineries, downtown Napa and Silverado Trail.

Park closes at 6:15pm in the summer!!!!

Beautiful trail! A bit exposed to the sun at first, but shaded most of the way thereafter. Lots of lovely wild flowers, and a nice picnic area by the lake where you can relax and eat lunch. Definitely one of those trails that clears your mind of the clutter of every day.

The trail is a little wet so slick in a few places. The wildflowers are just starting to poke their heads out. Give this park 2 or 3 weeks and it will be perfect! #napapony

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Buddy and I hiked for the first time, we took the lesser road traveled and glad we did, definitely will be hiking up this one again.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

lots of elevation gain, but the view is definitely worth it. worth doing again.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Totally worth there is an awesome little lake at the end!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

hiked a handful of different trails. the valley views from skyline trail are amazing, and the serenity and beauty at lower marie creek is almost too much to handle. will be back to do again and tackle the rim rock trail.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Great view of Napa valley from skyline trail.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

This hike became a long day as we hiked several deferent trails that day

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

well worth the hike. plenty of deer sightings

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Nice view of the vineyards below, saw a few deer and birds.

Friday, May 29, 2015

$5 was worth it... they have a great garden area, some camp sites, activity/gathering area, archery and horse areas. Lots of inclines but the views are worth it!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Stopped by Skyline today to stretch my legs. If one does the complete out and back using the Skyline & Ridgeway trails, the hike will be a little over 9 miles (9.3 actually ). Even though I got soaked by a nasty rain cloud the first 2-3 miles, I had a wonderful time on the rest of the trail. I was able.to do the whole 9.3 miles in 3.5 hours (slowed down considerably by tain/mud). The views are awesome and there is a considerable amount od wildlife out and about. I ran across several deer, squirrels, and lizards. Admission was $5., which is kind of pricey for a day pass for a park, IMO.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Several good trails. Great inclines to get a good workout. Can get pretty crowded, so better if you like to see lots of people on the trail with you. Lots of great geocaches

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Awesome, leg-busting cardio trail run...and great views too! The park entrance is right off of Imola Ave in Napa...very easy to find. There is a $5 entrance fee and the parking lot is small. I suspect on the weekends this place is packed. I visited on a Wednesday morning at 10:30 and the lot was almost empty. During my 2.5 hour run I encountered on horseback rider, three or four hikers, one snake, deer and countless lizards. No mountain bikers, although I did see tire tracks on the Thatcher Rim Rock Trail...are you folks INSANE?? I ran from the parking lot, up the Lake Marie Road and then left onto the Thatcher Rim Rock Trail. Be sure and grab a trail map from the attendant before you set out. Although the trails are well-signed, there are many criss-crossing trails and it helps to have a map. It is three miles of switchbacks and uphill slogging to reach the summit of Sugarloaf Peak from the parking lot, but the view is worth it. The trail evens out a bit at the summit, but beware the section marked 'very steep narrow trail" on the map. They mean it. If your center of gravity gets too far forward, you are going ass over teakettle all the way to the valley floor. The Rim Rock trail intersects the Skyline Trail, which runs next to the creek that feeds Lake Marie. Very nice running along here. I followed Skyline all the way back to the parking lot. All told, about 7.5 miles. Excellent hill and cardio workout. I definitely recommend this to experienced trail runners. If you are new to trail running, or want a less arduous workout, run the Lake Marie Road to the lake and take the small spur on the right to Skyline. Run Skyline back to the parking lot. Have fun out there!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

decent vistas, mid level hiking traffic

Friday, November 29, 2013

Amazing park. I hike here often. If you are a birder, the Martha Walker Garden (near the park entrance) is busy with birds every morning. While the park is maintained, it has a feeling of being somewhat untamed that is very relaxing.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

I had a great hike out here with my brother. We hiked all the way back to the end of the trail and back. We ended up with 11 miles and 2500 feet of vertical. It was a hot day but we had a great time and found a bunch of geocaches. I would recommend this area to anyone who likes the outdoors, just make sure you get an early start and bring plenty of water in the summer!

Friday, June 28, 2013

This is a great day hike! The reward at the end is a nice view of Lake Marie. I love the weird stone fixtures on the way up to the lake. My brother and I use to hike this and he told me they use to burn mental patients in them. Nice. I really wonder what they were used for? Quite strange.