Lake Marie Trail

Lake Marie Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Napa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

A great half-day hike, rivalling Mt. St. Helena for enjoyment and views. Experience oak forest and open grasslands. There is a $5 parking fee.

Lots of signage to find the trails, many of which branch off this one. It's a well-shaded trail—road, actually—so it's great on a hot day. Pretty much up, up, up on the way to Lake Marie (which is not real impressive, but ok). If you have time, take another trail down instead of the road, just for interest's sake. Going up is not a difficult climb, just relentlessly uphill.

lots of elevation change but beautiful in winter! some trails still recovering from fire

Beautiful day in February (dry times) for this old guy to trapse around the hills. Good workout and nice views.

A bit hard to find the trail head from the parking lot but it's a great sunny day hike with deer and turkeys right up to the trail edges. Beautiful views of wineries, downtown Napa and Silverado Trail.

Park closes at 6:15pm in the summer!!!!

Beautiful trail! A bit exposed to the sun at first, but shaded most of the way thereafter. Lots of lovely wild flowers, and a nice picnic area by the lake where you can relax and eat lunch. Definitely one of those trails that clears your mind of the clutter of every day.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

The trail is a little wet so slick in a few places. The wildflowers are just starting to poke their heads out. Give this park 2 or 3 weeks and it will be perfect! #napapony

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Buddy and I hiked for the first time, we took the lesser road traveled and glad we did, definitely will be hiking up this one again.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

lots of elevation gain, but the view is definitely worth it. worth doing again.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Totally worth there is an awesome little lake at the end!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

hiked a handful of different trails. the valley views from skyline trail are amazing, and the serenity and beauty at lower marie creek is almost too much to handle. will be back to do again and tackle the rim rock trail.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Great view of Napa valley from skyline trail.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

This hike became a long day as we hiked several deferent trails that day

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

well worth the hike. plenty of deer sightings

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Nice view of the vineyards below, saw a few deer and birds.

Friday, May 29, 2015

$5 was worth it... they have a great garden area, some camp sites, activity/gathering area, archery and horse areas. Lots of inclines but the views are worth it!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Stopped by Skyline today to stretch my legs. If one does the complete out and back using the Skyline & Ridgeway trails, the hike will be a little over 9 miles (9.3 actually ). Even though I got soaked by a nasty rain cloud the first 2-3 miles, I had a wonderful time on the rest of the trail. I was able.to do the whole 9.3 miles in 3.5 hours (slowed down considerably by tain/mud). The views are awesome and there is a considerable amount od wildlife out and about. I ran across several deer, squirrels, and lizards. Admission was $5., which is kind of pricey for a day pass for a park, IMO.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Several good trails. Great inclines to get a good workout. Can get pretty crowded, so better if you like to see lots of people on the trail with you. Lots of great geocaches

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Awesome, leg-busting cardio trail run...and great views too! The park entrance is right off of Imola Ave in Napa...very easy to find. There is a $5 entrance fee and the parking lot is small. I suspect on the weekends this place is packed. I visited on a Wednesday morning at 10:30 and the lot was almost empty. During my 2.5 hour run I encountered on horseback rider, three or four hikers, one snake, deer and countless lizards. No mountain bikers, although I did see tire tracks on the Thatcher Rim Rock Trail...are you folks INSANE?? I ran from the parking lot, up the Lake Marie Road and then left onto the Thatcher Rim Rock Trail. Be sure and grab a trail map from the attendant before you set out. Although the trails are well-signed, there are many criss-crossing trails and it helps to have a map. It is three miles of switchbacks and uphill slogging to reach the summit of Sugarloaf Peak from the parking lot, but the view is worth it. The trail evens out a bit at the summit, but beware the section marked 'very steep narrow trail" on the map. They mean it. If your center of gravity gets too far forward, you are going ass over teakettle all the way to the valley floor. The Rim Rock trail intersects the Skyline Trail, which runs next to the creek that feeds Lake Marie. Very nice running along here. I followed Skyline all the way back to the parking lot. All told, about 7.5 miles. Excellent hill and cardio workout. I definitely recommend this to experienced trail runners. If you are new to trail running, or want a less arduous workout, run the Lake Marie Road to the lake and take the small spur on the right to Skyline. Run Skyline back to the parking lot. Have fun out there!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

decent vistas, mid level hiking traffic

Friday, November 29, 2013

Amazing park. I hike here often. If you are a birder, the Martha Walker Garden (near the park entrance) is busy with birds every morning. While the park is maintained, it has a feeling of being somewhat untamed that is very relaxing.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

I had a great hike out here with my brother. We hiked all the way back to the end of the trail and back. We ended up with 11 miles and 2500 feet of vertical. It was a hot day but we had a great time and found a bunch of geocaches. I would recommend this area to anyone who likes the outdoors, just make sure you get an early start and bring plenty of water in the summer!

Friday, June 28, 2013

This is a great day hike! The reward at the end is a nice view of Lake Marie. I love the weird stone fixtures on the way up to the lake. My brother and I use to hike this and he told me they use to burn mental patients in them. Nice. I really wonder what they were used for? Quite strange.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Awesome trails and views. I took my 10 year old and my friend brought along her 8 year old and they did great. The views were stunning. There was a lot of lizards, ants, dragon flies and other bugs and animals out there. There was a bee hive.... Be very careful around those. Overall the park an trail was worth the $5 dollars for parking. We would definitely go again.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Soo first off, don't follow the directions given from this website. LOL. We drove to Napa from Sacramento, and followed the directions only to be stuck in a neighborhood on a very narrow and winding road. When you turn onto Imola, the park is on the right with a big park sign that says "Skyline Park." You don't need to continue any farther than that. When we drove in, the very nice man at the parking gate gave us a map and told us a little bit about the trails. We took our 5 year old up the Lake Marie Trail and we had to stop a few times up the hill, but he did just fine. This is the trail where you will see the Hobbit hole, and some old cabin ruins that you can walk through. There are also GORGEOUS views of the city going up this side. There are lots and lots of mountain bikers. When we got to Lake Marie, we continued on the loop and took Marie Creek Trail back down. When it split we took the lower trail because it brings you down to walk right next to the creek. This trail is pretty steep, rocky, and narrow but no other trail will bring you back that close to the creek. The whole loop plus lunch took about 3 hours. Fun family day!

Friday, January 04, 2013

We hiked twice. First was the skyline trail. Pretty views, great foliage and pretty good cardio workout. Up and down, not too steep but good walk. It had just rained so pretty muddy too. Second time was along the paved lake Marie road., because it was steady rain. Very muddy elsewhere. Path nice, good views of creek. Goes about 2.5 miles until you hit the lake. Nice steady upclimb. I bet more traffic on this path when sunny then the other trails. Very close to downtown nice escape if you are in napa for some r and r.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wonderful trail! Boo on fees. But worth it! Sorry no dogs allowed.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Great disc golf course here, worth the effort and the $5 entry (applies to everyone, not just those playing the course). Beware of the poison oak.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

More for the "wilderness" oriented hikers. Sites includes Martha Walker Native Habitat Garden, deer, cave along with many trees.

Sunday, June 27, 2010