Skyline Trail

Skyline Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hammond, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

There are numerous trails for hikers and bikers. During the spring you will see many flowing waterfalls.

Very popular trail with a challenging climb up to Case Mountain!

beautiful hike! especially in the spring when everything is green. it can be tough if you are not used to traveling up hill, but it is doable. it can get hot here so I recommend going early in the morning. highly recommend for a day hike.

Really great hike for the first 3 miles. Large dirt path, all uphill, fairly easy. My husband and I went at the end of May 2018. It was about 82 degrees. Beautiful. However, we missed our “turn” to stay on path and ended up hiking 1 mile off course. Had to turn back and continue on the correct path, which was not paved and quite hard to follow. The grass had grown over the small walkways so it took us a while to finish the hike. Overall, we ended up walking 8.5 miles. Would do this hike again but only along the large dirt path (first 3 miles) and then turn back around.

Beautiful trail

This was a good bit of fun, steep grades, beautiful vistas, and even made friends a with some horses.

The trail head was difficult to find since Skyline Drive is posted as a dead end, but the dead end is the trail head. Lots to look at. Friendly fellow hikers and bike riders. It had rained the day before so there wasn't an issue with flies as described by other reviews. I'm just starting my hiking adventures and the Skyline Trail was a great way to start and test equipment and my capabilities. Although I pulled a calf muscle the trail was moderate enough for me to complete. I recommended gem of a hike.

Gorgeous this time of year! Green hills, waterfalls up the main trail about 3 miles up. Uphill the whole way—until you turn around. Still, a very nice hike. Small trails all over—used by mountain bikers.

Best trail yet. We went on March 25th it was a little rainy but amazing! Lots of waterfalls and different little trails. We will definitely be going back.

Awesome trails with spectacular sceneries!

Great hike! The waterfalls were surprisingly beautiful; didn’t think we’d see so many flowing falls and streams:). Dog-friendly. Wildflowers were plentiful. Didn’t come across cows or horses but came up on plenty of patties so beware. Gorgeous scenery even driving to the location. Can’t wait to do it again!

pleasant March 9 hike. Good directions to parking. 8-10 cars in the lot.
The prior reviews were helpful. We are seniors, my husband had to pause on the hike up. By taking our time we enjoyed our hike up the broad path to the foot bridge over The creak.
Enjoyed seeing the colt. Thought we might get lost, but not an issue.

It's always a beautiful hike! 3 weeks ago I hiked it counter clock-wise to make it more difficult and it was a workout!

Nice day hike, or an overnight. I would like to hike to case mountain one day. Alot of locals on the trail which makes for great conversations. There are alot of bike trails to follow if you want the off the trail feel, and they wind around the mountains and intersect to make it interesting.

It was gorgeous! One of my new favorite spots to hike for sure. Can’t wait to go back in the spring. So many different trails to take.

Went on this hike on Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. There were beautiful fall colors on the red buds and poison oak (1 plant). We saw many birds including a couple of hawks. There are many different routes to follow, which was a bit confusing but we managed to make a loop that passed by two waterfalls (one was dry). Parts of the trail between the two waterfalls were a bit difficult to find but I enjoyed using my trail finding skills to navigate. It was a beautiful day with beautiful views. At the end we saw a few horses in the distance enjoying the day with us.

Groups trail not too busy
As others have said it’s also a horse trail so expect lots of droppings
Overall a good hike

Awesome trail. It's a horse ranch that the horses free graze on, so manure is to be expected and makes finding the horses a little easier. Such a fun time watching them graze.
Normal amount of bugs and flies for the outdoors since, well, it IS the outdoors.....

Wife and I have hiked this three times in the last year. Today (October 13, 2017) might be our last. There was so much horse manure and zillions of flies. Batting the flies away zaps your energy. Before starting, we sprayed ourselves with 40% DEET and reapplied several times, to no avail. The folks that bring horses should clean up after themselves. Earlier hikes on the same trail were beautiful, plenty of wildflowers, senic hills, valleys and spring (only) waterfalls. There were a couple other cars at the trailhead when we started (11 am), but none at all when we finished (2:00+ pm). As others have mentioned, trail is not well marked. Lots of side trails, but they do seem to eventually join the main trail. A few dead end at scenic points. Using the alltrails app will get you back to the trailhead. If it were not for the flies, I'd be back tomorrow.

Had a blast with the dogs! We are always looking for dog friendly areas! We will definitely be back! I can't wait for the spring to see the waterfalls!!

This trail is quite close to HW 198 but far enough to not hear traffic and enjoy a country hill experience. The trail is fairly lengthy and has several uphills and downhills which can make it fun and challenging at times. The trail is mostly clean except for some parts of it being full of horse manure. It features a small waterfall, small ponds, and small bridges. It's great for a day hike, mountain biking, and hiking

Awesome little hike! This was the first hike i took the kids on and they loved it. But we only did a mile of it. It is so nice when it is green and there are so many little areas where you can see creeks and mini waterfalls. We've done it several times since. The last time we went was in april 2017 and everything was green and nice and the weather was great.

PS take bug spray.

Just finished this hike, it was hard to find the trail...no markers. No cover and it was really hot. We made the loop, just by pure determination and luck. Glad I finished, but would not do again or recommend.

Walked about one mile into the south side of the loop. Many unofficial side trails; if I wasn't using the GPS I would have gotten mixed up. Enjoyable scenery following the contour of the creek. However, it was dang hot even at nine in the morning.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Not a bad trail. This trail is not kept up very well. I tried to begin my loop on the south side, got about .5 miles in and the trail ended. I back tracked up to the north side and started to climb the elevation. I got to the top (3.5 miles in) above the waterfalls and there was a picnic bench. At this point, the trail split into 3 different directions. I took the southern trail, got about 1 mile down the hill and the trail ended again. I wondered around for 30 mins looking for the connection point but was unable to find it. Resorted to going back the way I went in. The other two directions went farther up the mountain and one of them was gated off. Total hike was almost 9 miles. Great views, awesome elevation changes, not a lot of foot traffic and it was nice to be in nature. I would do it again!

Friday, June 16, 2017

This is a good low elevation hike near Three Rivers (it might also be the Salt Creek BLM trail, that's how we found it). I have to agree that this trail is not very well marked, but it's in a canyon/valley with one obvious entrance so it would be hard to get lost. Use tracking on your phone to make sure you take the right junctions. Finally, this trail is only partly shaded so it will be very hot from late spring through early fall.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

This trail is NOT well-marked. We ended up going the wrong way several times and I finally had to download the All Trails app to keep us on course. There were lots of wildflowers, even though there were probably more earlier in the season.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Beautiful trail. Steady incline that wasnt too taxing to take the fun out of it. Lots of water along the way for our dog and even got to see our firemen in action.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Loved this trail the horses, meadows, views, waterfalls, views.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Great trail but wish the route was clearly marked. The views were beautiful and the waterfall was amazing.

Monday, May 01, 2017

i loved this hike! Not experienced hiker but everthing was beautiful. My only advice is go early, because it can get hot as the temperatures rise.