Skyline Loop and Salt Creek Falls [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(306)
Three Rivers, California

Skyline Loop and Salt Creek Falls is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Three Rivers, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,696 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

NOTE: As of March 2020, this trail may experience closures or limited hours due to COVID-19 concerns. There are numerous trails for hikers and bikers. During the spring you will see many flowing waterfalls. Beware of ticks, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and poison oak.

5/23/20. Great trail. Horses at the ponds. Lots of wildflowers still I’m bloom. Both falls had water. Not much shade. Pretty hike overall. Signs were up that the trail was closed. Plenty of people still using the trail and distancing.

Love this spot...its a great early spring or winter hike!

Love this trail. Went a few weeks back before it closed. With that said. Has anyone been on this trail within the last few day? Is it open to public again?

Great trail. Great view of waterfall (no water when we went) half the trail is a wide road and the other half is narrow. Bring sunscreen and a hat. This was our longest trail by far. But we enjoyed the challenge.

hard incline if you start right you may see horses which is really nice, but also a lot of dookies & eventually tire tracks

4/06/2020 CLOSED I’ve been on this trail before, it’s a great hike.

03/24/20 Beautiful loop! Little harder than expected. On that note, I picked up a tick on this hike and didn’t find it until 2 days later and sent it off for testing at TickReport.com . I have a friend suffering from Lyme disease and pray I don’t contract this horrible disease!! Please dress and or keep spray with you.

closed

Closed due to Covid-19 concerns. Overrated anyways with all of the human, dog, and horse feces on the trails. Also, not the safest because of the abundance of ticks, rattlesnakes, and poison oak.

Don’t use the directions provided by Google Maps through the All Trails app. There are a few steep parts and when wet, can be kinda slick. But overall the trail was very nice! My 3 year old walked most of it and my 1 year old could walk some of it as well. Beautiful views and great for a family outing.

This is one of the most beautiful trails I have hiked (and I have been to a couple of NPs) Especially now in spring time when the mountains are bursting with lush green and wildflowers. Even cute cows and "wild" horses roaming freely in the hills. It looked like the Shire in the Lord of the Rings movies everywhere we looked! Two waterfalls and a few little creeks, old trees and meadows. We walked the trail so that we had the steep uphill (!) during our first miles (having the Salt Creek River on our left hand side) and then on the way back we enjoyed a nice proper road to walk downhill, with perfect views over the waterfalls. Take a shortcut down in the valley from the road and go between the lakes to say hello to the horses ;-) Note: there are very few trail signs along the way, so download the alltrails map to see where what path to follow!

Incredible amount of wildflowers. Two waterfalls at the halfway point with great canyon views.

Did the loop clockwise this time and it was lovely. Other than it opened up and poured rain on us at mile 2.7. So we turned back.

Awesome trail!

ohv/off road driving

Very nice trail, ascends from the beginning but not too steep . Ran into a band of wild horses grazing in a meadow . Very beautiful views

Wonderful trail! Went twice already about to go on my third time in a few minutes here! You can take ur kids 6+ and dogs I’d recommend

I really enjoyed the trail! I got turned around by a pack of horses so I took an alternate route and yet got to see some of the greatest views of northern Three Rivers & the lower Sierra Nevada.

beautiful trail! it was a little tough to find the trailhead as Google isn't quite sure where it is - very end of skyline road. I only did a part of the trail but will be coming back tomorrow to do some more. it's quiet, dog friendly and the trail is pretty clear cut.

Had to pull 6 ticks off of me and almost got ran over by a mountain biker. There were also many dogs off leash that were running wild as well. Not a very safe place. I recommend staying on the road and away from the tick filled grass if you go. Kaweah Lake is a much nicer place to hike.

We used All Trails in recording mode and it kept us on the trail despite no cellular service. Very steep grades and some treacherous rocky areas in the decline. Beautiful trail but steep grades made it challenging.

Great trail! Dog friendly trails are the best!

This is a beautiful trail. We attempted to go counter clockwise however alltrails told us we were off trail no matter which path we took (and there were a lot of paths to choose from) We finally backtracked to the begining and took the clockwise direction. We chose to come back down the same way. I will try this loop again in the spring. looking forward to the wildflowers. The horses on this trail were so beautiful and super friendly. Can't wait to give this loop another shot.

Great trail. Easy walking. Horses are friendly.

Loved this hike. I took the advice from another review to go counter-clockwise, and I am so happy we did! Some of the uphill was pretty steep, especially carrying our two babies, so I am glad we didn’t hit that going the opposite direction. It’s a good idea to have the trail map downloaded because it could be easy to take a wrong turn. It took us about 3 hours.