Skyline to the Sea Trail Short Loop [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(74)
West Waddell Creek State Wilderness

Skyline to the Sea Trail Short Loop [CLOSED] is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Davenport, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 298 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Note: No dogs allowed due to wildlife preservation.

It was just a tad bit overgrown during the steep narrower section in the beginning (fair amount of poison oak, beware!) but on the return the trail widened up and was very flat. Be sure to cross the stream using the down tree, see if you can cross the whole thing on your feet. The kids and I had to skooch across on our butts after halfway.

Hiked back on Skyline to the Sea to make it a loop trail. Had to cross river to do this though. We hiked with a 25 pound baby in a back pack and it worked well! Great views!

Loved this route.. involves lots of climbing, ocean vistas, river crossings. I went clockwise to start with the climb up to Chalk Mountain. I took off my shoes for the river crossing at about mile 11, but it was calm and shallow. I ran this on a Saturday holiday morning, and I only saw 3 other hikers the first 12 miles, and the end of the route is relatively flat and on the more heavily trafficked Skyline to Sea trail.

Lovely trail! I’m not a fit person and I thought this was a nice little adventure. Pretty quick trip with lots of things to look at. It’s a self guided loop that was well marked. I did cross through the creek because I missed the bridge (whoops) so I was glad to be wearing my hiking boots. The last part of the loop is the fire road which was a little boring.

Overgrown in some spots

Went with a group to backpack the trail. It’s heavily forested, so not many scenic views, but on the flip side, nice and cool in the shade. Lots of mosquitoes so bring some repellent. There are detours out of the park HQ area, but nothing major. The trail parallels a busy road for a portion so you get a lot of road noise. I am a sucker for views, so not my favorite kind of trail, but a nice hike nevertheless.

Sun Mar 17 2019

No Dogs allowed due to wildlife preservation —- I enjoyed the hike we started to the left - hardest part first . Which I had had my swimsuit