Skyline to the Sea, Berry Creek Falls, Hammond Road Loop

Skyline to the Sea, Berry Creek Falls, Hammond Road Loop is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Riverside Grove, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Beautiful hike. Mainly under the shade of redwoods, but with occasional treks at higher elevations in the sun. Definitely wear layers!!! You can go from chilly to sweating in a heartbeat. Wear good hiking shoes or sneakers with traction; parts of the trail near the waterfalls are VERY slippery (it is quite damp down there, and you have to traverse up, down and across some very wet and muddy rocks). If you do the full loop, prepare for a long hike -- bring snacks and water, and start no later than 11am (especially in the winter when the days are shorter). NOTE: There were several detours along the way due to weather-damaged areas, and I'm pretty certain I did at least an extra mile or two because of them. Just be prepared!

Very nice trail with lots of vegetation. Waterfall is nothing special as you can see better ones on the Cataract Trail by Mt Tam. Parking is expensive, but staff is extremely friendly. I would recommend doing this at least once just to say you did it.

Beautiful well maintained trail. Part of it was detoured which made it longer. Bring at least 2 Liters of water per person. We packed a light lunch which was nice to have near one of the falls. I have done Waddell Beach to the falls once and had no idea there's so many more falls going the top route!

My husband took me as a surprise, I had wished I had worn my neoprene socks because I ended up with blisters.

No dogs are allowed. However someone had a horse on the trail so at some parts where the trail was very skinny we had to dodge giant horse poo piles

beautiful trail, minus the gunshots from the range, and minus the mountain lion!! other than that great trail. Lol.

We did the Skyline to Sea trail to Berry Creek Falls, but there were a couple of detours due to trail closures (massive trees down early in the hike!)

Trail was gorgeous, waterfall was beautiful & much prettier than Sempervirens. Went on Friday morning, was not heavily trafficked & definitely had a "lost in nature" feeling.

We did an out & back from the falls, and on the way back to the HQ took Sunset Loop instead of the road detour back to Skyline to Sea! definitely recommend that.

Nice hike! Great views, redwoods, awesome scenery!

Such a beautiful place

Awesome trail with great rewards in terms of redwood trees and waterfall views.

start early and bring loads of water!

Not bad, nice hike. Waterfalls are about 2-3' tall. There's better trails in the area. Still with checking out.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Quite a nice trail with good variety in environment. There was a bridge out on the Timm Creek Trail which resulted in a slightly different route from what is shown here - make sure to stop by the office to check on the conditions of the trails. I don't think our modification (stayed on the Sunset trail to the falls) added any significant mileage. I do think that the distance listed here is a bit of an underestimate, I measured closer to 14 miles on the entire loop.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Great hike with several waterfalls through the stunning Great Basin redwoods. Going counterclockwise leads to a massive elevation increase near the end. Starts out low elevation near creeks in the redwood forest before going up on a ridge to descend down to the various waterfalls. After the waterfalls, a huge climb to the Mt. McAbee overlook with gorgeous views out to the Pacific. Redwoods, waterfalls, and banana slugs make for plenty of photo ops.

Going at a brisk pace with relatively frequent photo stops and a lunch break at Berry Creek Falls took us ~5 hours.