Skyline to the Sea, Berry Creek Falls, Hammond Road Loop

Skyline to the Sea, Berry Creek Falls, Hammond Road Loop is a 10.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Riverside Grove, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

It’s pretty fun with great waterfalls.

I'll admit I was unsure of the trails quality for the first half of the detoured loop, a detour because a good third of the stated loop is rendered unhike-able. Once we reached the waterfalls, though, wow. After the waterfall (moving counter-clock) you reach the trail's maximum elevation where the terrain shifts suddenly from the damp redwood covered valley floor to dry granite ridges.

Nature rocks.

Absolutely fun hike. A must for anyone with an itch for nature and to escape.

We did this on Saturday, 9/15 and was amazing. Love it. The parking lot does get crowded, but the trails aren’t. So, it was lovely and mostly shaded.

I hike often and am relatively fit (mid 20s, female, athletic) and this trail took 3 hours to complete with a bit of trail running and a light pack. Paid $10 for parking at the trailhead. It’s a pretty waterfall and hiking through the redwoods was gorgeous. Recommend arriving early so you have the trail to yourself. Slightly difficult to navigate with trail closures so grab a free map at the visitor center!

Despite the throngs of people at the trailhead car park (Saturday 9 am) this was actually a reasonably quiet loop. I’m quite a fast hiker and completed it in just under 4 hours. If you are used to hiking or are otherwise fit,, you will probably agree that it is pretty easy terrain (though there are warning signs about its difficulty, so it’s important, as always, to really know your ability). Pretty views out to the sea (probably shrouded in fog in winter). The falls are not all that big, but are pretty. Diverse views and ecosystems. Definitely talk to one of the excellent staff rangers when you go in as they can give very clear instructions about how to start (I suggest counter-clockwise) in a way that is not obvious on the all trails or the paper map. I will definitely return and do this as a trail run! A warning: by 1 pm the car park was packed and rows of cars were waiting. Strongly encourage weekday or v early starts!

I do this hike every year and it’s amazing! If you park a car at the beach you can go all the way thru instead of a loop.

Great hike among the beautiful redwoods. There are a couple of trail closures so check with the park ranger first. Trail is mostly shaded. The last hill was challenging, so we rewarded ourselves with ice cream at the park store.

Great work out! Terrain was beautiful. Make sure to bring plenty of water.

Nice loop trail for a day of hiking.

This is a 6 hour, strenuous hike , with a good deal of elevation change. Need to call B.S. on several of these reviewers. No way they did it in 3-3.5 hours. Unless they happen to be an Ironman contestant and forgot to mention that.
The redwoods are amazing, but there are plenty of those without nearly the effort required on this trail. At the end of July the waterfall was not significant & there was no view at all of the ocean. It still is beautiful, and if you have all day to dedicate then you can definitely loose yourself & enjoy.

Great hike! Beautiful trails, changing terrain. Completed in 3.5 hours at moderate pace.

Amazing hike. One of my all time favorites.

Fantastic hike. I did this in about 3 hours with some running involved. Great trees, water, well established trail.

I had to crush it so I didn’t have time to really enjoy it, but a great hike!!

Beautiful hike, changing scenery throughout. Make sure to bring lots of water and snacks.

Hiked the full trail with friends on Mother’s Day weekend. Well exceeded expectations. Despite the number of people out and about, much of the trail did not seem crowded except at the falls and at the beginning of the trail. The Falls were an excellent respite and the right intervals for a little rest stop. So many other trails to do next time.

There are a few trail closures right now so the route is a little different, but the ranger at the headquarters gave us a map and indicated the route to take to see all the falls. The altered route is just over 11 miles.

It was a very nice hike and especially pleasant for a real hot day since the vast majority of the trail is shaded by the trees. Really nice views of a few different waterfalls, wildlife (we saw a lizard, snake, and banana slugs)! Parts of the trail can be pretty busy (but that could have been due to the holiday), but if you do the whole loop most of the time you have the trail to yourself. Not particularly difficult as far as elevation climbs go which made the 11 miles feel much shorter. I would recommend if you're looking for something for an entire day but not something that is too strenuous.

It was my first ever backcountry camping hike and boy did I pick a winner. Sat by the falls and made myself some coffee while listening to the rush of water and watching the trees. This is your classic redwood hike among the trees, it will not disappoint!

Also watch out for ticks!

Fun hike. I love hiking in the redwoods and seeing the waterfalls and full creek beds. Banana slugs and salamanders were in abundance. We checked in with the ranger before the hike, and she gave us a hi-lighted map showing detours due to trail closures. Current hike is smidgen over 11. Go early (we were in the trail by 8:45), have a nice lunch at the waterfalls and enjoy the beautiful California redwoods.

The longest hike I have done till now and the most beautiful one too. Beautiful waterfalls. Gigantic redwoods. Silent nature.
Carry enough fluids and food. Sit near each waterfall, on the fallen redwoods and refuel yourself. Enjoyed this hike to the fullest. I will be going once again for this same hike soon.

Probably the second hardest hike I have done. Not in terms of difficult and steepness, but rather in terms of mere length. Bring lots of water and start early. The view of the waterfalls (multiple water falls :)) is worth the hike! enjoy guys! :)

Will absolutely do this trail again, beautiful views and rewarding for the effort you put into it. Invigorating!

Beautiful hike. Mainly under the shade of redwoods, but with occasional treks at higher elevations in the sun. Definitely wear layers!!! You can go from chilly to sweating in a heartbeat. Wear good hiking shoes or sneakers with traction; parts of the trail near the waterfalls are VERY slippery (it is quite damp down there, and you have to traverse up, down and across some very wet and muddy rocks). If you do the full loop, prepare for a long hike -- bring snacks and water, and start no later than 11am (especially in the winter when the days are shorter). NOTE: There were several detours along the way due to weather-damaged areas, and I'm pretty certain I did at least an extra mile or two because of them. Just be prepared!

Very nice trail with lots of vegetation. Waterfall is nothing special as you can see better ones on the Cataract Trail by Mt Tam. Parking is expensive, but staff is extremely friendly. I would recommend doing this at least once just to say you did it.

Beautiful well maintained trail. Part of it was detoured which made it longer. Bring at least 2 Liters of water per person. We packed a light lunch which was nice to have near one of the falls. I have done Waddell Beach to the falls once and had no idea there's so many more falls going the top route!

My husband took me as a surprise, I had wished I had worn my neoprene socks because I ended up with blisters.

No dogs are allowed. However someone had a horse on the trail so at some parts where the trail was very skinny we had to dodge giant horse poo piles

Monday, January 08, 2018

beautiful trail, minus the gunshots from the range, and minus the mountain lion!! other than that great trail. Lol.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

We did the Skyline to Sea trail to Berry Creek Falls, but there were a couple of detours due to trail closures (massive trees down early in the hike!)

Trail was gorgeous, waterfall was beautiful & much prettier than Sempervirens. Went on Friday morning, was not heavily trafficked & definitely had a "lost in nature" feeling.

We did an out & back from the falls, and on the way back to the HQ took Sunset Loop instead of the road detour back to Skyline to Sea! definitely recommend that.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Nice hike! Great views, redwoods, awesome scenery!

Sunday, July 23, 2017