Skyline Drive

Skyline Drive is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Corona, California that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

2 stars due to the poor parking situation. I went to the radar dome this morning, and when I got back I had a ticket. I parked in the designated parking area on Foothill, but the city has installed 4 fire hydrants amidst the parking spots. It's basically a kind of a speed-trap. The city has prominent signage saying "Park here! Skyline Drive!" at the same time as they have installed hydrants without any signage and they have deployed meter-maids to issue citations.

The irony? If I had parked in the restricted parking area (inside the housing development), I would have gotten a $30 ticket. Since I did the right thing and parked in the designated parking area, I received a $45 ticket.

I bet the city is really raking it in on this trail.

We went for a nice hike yesterday. Walked in about 3 miles along the creek.
The parking sucks along the new foothill corridor though

Parking: There's no parking in the neighborhood at the start of the trail unless you have a resident permit, but there is a good amount of designated trail parking along Foothill. I did this hike on a Tuesday at about 10 am, so I ended up parking fairly close to the trailhead. But I did Tin Mine Canyon (a trail that branches off Skyline) on Sunday and ended up much further away. Make sure you parked in designated areas, because you will get a ticket even trying to squeeze into the diagonal lined ends of spots.

The Trail: Skyline Drive is basically an access road to reach the Doppler at the peak. Traffic was light on a Tuesday, but I know it can get rather crowded on the weekend. The road is a gradual to moderate incline the entire way, never letting up. I only made it about 3.2 miles in (for 6.4 roundtrip) due to timing constraints for me. It's a workout for sure. While the views of Corona and the snow-capped mountains in the distance are beautiful, the trail itself is rather dull since it's just a road. Some wild flowers to check out, but not so impressive compared to what other trails offer this Spring after all the Winter rain.

Summary: Great to get the heart rate up and workout those legs, but if you want something interesting, divert to Tin Mine Canyon Trail at the end (an easy hike).

Son and I made it to this trail today. It was so cool to see the water running throughout the trails. Each time out we works towards getting further down the trail. It is so peaceful. Only complaint was some folks don't have their dogs on leashes:(

Great long trail with a nice steady incline.