Skunk Hallow via South Fork American River Trail

Skunk Hallow via South Fork American River Trail is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Dorado Hills, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,034 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

Skunk Hallow South Fork American River Trail

It's a pretty steep climb through rock gardens for a good 30 minutes, then it gets better. It's just an average trail, nothing special, still a pretty good workout if you ride to the movie set and back, about 2 hours.

Honestly I was a little disappointed with this Trail. Skunk Hollow is essentially just the majority of the South Fork American River Trail & ends at a fork in the road (where West Ridge Trail meets South Fork ART). There was no signage that said skunk hollow except at the beginning of the trail in the parking lot. There were no mileage markers, showing how far you had come or how much further was left. We didn’t even realize we came to the end of the Skunk Hollow Trail and kept walking. When we checked the map we realized the end was simply a fork in the road. A little bummed that there was no finale, no site to see at the end, or even signage saying you finished that part of the trail. Overall the trail was enjoyable & had nice views of the lake. Rocky trail at times, also meanders through a nice grassy valley area. Trail is heavily trafficked by mountain bikes & runners. Watch out for mountain bikes!!! Many of the riders do not abide by the “fast speeds prohibited” rule & they will take you out!! We managed to do all of skunk hollow in a total of 4 hours & 45 minutes, including stopping for 45 mins for lunch at a picnic table (located about a mile or two before the Skunk Hollow trail end) & jogging all the downhill portions. Definitely would like to come back at attempt the entire trail.

The trail app will take you to the wrong parking lot! Drove across the bridge and park in the lot straight to the right. Great hike, beginning is unshaded and steep but it climbs down into a shaded forest for a few miles before back out for the remainder of the trail.

Nice trail. Some wet sections but not muddy, it rained hard earlier in the week so I was surprised how nice it was. Peaceful and quiet

Had a great hike in February, 47 degrees, day after rain. It was wet with puddles and mud in some places but overall good and dry. Rocky in places, so hiking boots best. Views of the river at the start then hills and trees and sky....so pretty and quiet. Mostly shaded but some open areas. Saw only 1 mountain biker. Part of it is a horse trail also so share the trail. The directions on the app took us to the trailhead for Sweetwater Trail but we looked at the map and crossed the highway and down a little to the parking lot and trailhead for this (so drive across the bridge and the lot is on your right clearly marked). $10 for parking day use and restrooms. We went 4 miles and turned around, so 8 miles and 3 hours total.

Nice trail, we hiked it in January when the temps were great. Mountain bikers were out and also other hikers. Nice views and decent little elevation gain. We did not hike the whole way, probably a little over half in total but still worth the drive from Sac.

Great views and incline on the way in, we only got a few hundred yards past the gate that marks the horse trail and turned back so ~2 hours total. The manzanita start to get more plentiful as you gain altitude and the trail smelled of sage! This is a good workout with your head down as you will need to step around the rocks. The mostly sun felt great in January, the chihuahua mix loved it and we saw a few other dogs on the trail.

Great trail, especially considering the proximity to the city. From the parking area out to the cabin at Cronan Ranch took us just under 3 hours at a quick pace - there's not a lot of elevation change along the bulk of it.

So i love this trail!!! i have just about done the whole thing but i must tell you as an advocate for Mountain Lion's, they are here! I have found it's den and numerous deer kills within a month in the same spot. I know we are all aware they are there , but i can tell you first hand that they are. This trail can be very hot so come prepared if doing it in the summer. i think the views and change of scenery after each 2nd mile is really neat. I would rate it as moderate but not too strenuous. It's so worth it as the trail goes on forever! Good Luck

Saturday, June 09, 2018

It was ok- there are a lot of rocks on this trail which are hard on the knees, and you only see the river view for a very small portion of it. The scenery is pretty boring otherwise. It’s a lot of up and down, which is a good workout, but I don’t think I would do this trail again. Also, the directions from this app took me to a different trail (Sweetwater). I found this trail by chance when I was heading up to Auburn and remembered the name. If going here, I wouldn’t rely on the app’s directions for it.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

I love hiking this trail! we always see lots of mountain bikers who are the most polite trail companions. I think this trail has lots of hills and it's Rocky, but I like it, never boring.

Monday, April 23, 2018

It was an okay hike. I wouldn't consider it moderate. Probably wouldn't do it again.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

Didn’t make it the whole 13.3 miles but made it 5.5 miles to the creek crossing the trail. It just rained so it was moving pretty good and I didn’t want to get my feet wet so turned around there for a total round trip of 11 miles. Lots of different terrain and views along the way. It was well worth it.

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Beautiful out today, like Spring in Febuary! & only a few people out. Climb up was a butt kicker like always. Fun Downhills make it worth the effort.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Great trail! The first part of the trail is uphill and kind of rocky so hiking boots would be recommended although you could do it with tennis shoes. At first I was a little disappointed because I saw houses along the way but just keep going and eventually you will be in the wilderness with nothing but the sound of the river and the wind in the trees. The trail is well set and super easy to follow. Beautiful views. It’s not a difficult trail and a lot of it is pretty flat. I took my dog on leash. I only pulled one tic off her but she is on tic prevention. I only saw a couple other people the entire day Although I bet it gets much busier in the warmer season. I would definitely recommend! Beautiful hike on a sunny winter day!

Monday, January 15, 2018

What a great trail. Well engineered for hiking. Beautiful views.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

went in mid December and it was unseasonably warm. surprisingly good views of the river and salmon falls bridge. There’s a free parking area but then you have to cross the bridge to get to the trail. Dogs area allowed and bikers are respectful while using the trail