Skunk Hallow South Fork American River Trail

Skunk Hallow South Fork American River Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Dorado Hills, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Skunk Hallow South Fork American River Trail

So i love this trail!!! i have just about done the whole thing but i must tell you as an advocate for Mountain Lion's, they are here! i have found it's den and 3 deer kills within a month in the same spot. I know we are all aware they are there but i can tell you first hand that they are. This trail can be very hot so come prepared if doing it in the summer. i think the views and change of scenery after each 2nd mile is really neat. I would rate it as moderate but not too strenuous. It's so worth it as the trail goes on forever! Good Luck

It was ok- there are a lot of rocks on this trail which are hard on the knees, and you only see the river view for a very small portion of it. The scenery is pretty boring otherwise. It’s a lot of up and down, which is a good workout, but I don’t think I would do this trail again. Also, the directions from this app took me to a different trail (Sweetwater). I found this trail by chance when I was heading up to Auburn and remembered the name. If going here, I wouldn’t rely on the app’s directions for it.

I love hiking this trail! we always see lots of mountain bikers who are the most polite trail companions. I think this trail has lots of hills and it's Rocky, but I like it, never boring.

It was an okay hike. I wouldn't consider it moderate. Probably wouldn't do it again.

Didn’t make it the whole 13.3 miles but made it 5.5 miles to the creek crossing the trail. It just rained so it was moving pretty good and I didn’t want to get my feet wet so turned around there for a total round trip of 11 miles. Lots of different terrain and views along the way. It was well worth it.

Beautiful out today, like Spring in Febuary! & only a few people out. Climb up was a butt kicker like always. Fun Downhills make it worth the effort.

Great trail! The first part of the trail is uphill and kind of rocky so hiking boots would be recommended although you could do it with tennis shoes. At first I was a little disappointed because I saw houses along the way but just keep going and eventually you will be in the wilderness with nothing but the sound of the river and the wind in the trees. The trail is well set and super easy to follow. Beautiful views. It’s not a difficult trail and a lot of it is pretty flat. I took my dog on leash. I only pulled one tic off her but she is on tic prevention. I only saw a couple other people the entire day Although I bet it gets much busier in the warmer season. I would definitely recommend! Beautiful hike on a sunny winter day!

What a great trail. Well engineered for hiking. Beautiful views.

went in mid December and it was unseasonably warm. surprisingly good views of the river and salmon falls bridge. There’s a free parking area but then you have to cross the bridge to get to the trail. Dogs area allowed and bikers are respectful while using the trail