Skull Rock Loop

Skull Rock Loop is a 4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This hike is a great extension to the Temescal Canyon Trail which adds minimal elevation gain and distance, but greatly improves the experience. Take some time to explore Skull Rock and do some scrambling to get the best ocean views!

Our group did this hike at night. Really beautiful overall, the workout was great. Nothing crazy at night.

Great hike

great workout, great views, close to the city

One of my favorite hikes to do in the Santa Monica mountains. The waterfall was trickling on April 1st but still a great loop for a casually long hike

The skull rock was awesome!!! I love this trail, city view and ocean view both were gorgeous! I would like to do it every week!

love this hike and always look forward to going back.

It’s about 2.2 miles of incline (don’t expect to be able to talk to your hiking buddy) and then a breezy 2.2 miles down. Gorgeous views of the beach and mountains and mansions. Mostly rock/dirt path. There’s also a pretty meadow on the way back. Parking is $10 and there are bathrooms at the bottom. Conveniently close to the Westwood area.

Great views at the top!
We went up the Temescal Canyon trail which I recommend then come down on the Temescal ridge trail once you reach the top.
Why?
The canyon trail is shaded for the most part (good cuz the SoCal sun can heat up real fast). There incline can be tough for slightly out of shape people (like me

Nice semi shaded trails. Beautiful views before reaching the Skull.

Great hike if you want a good workout and views close to the city!

Great hike. strenuous with a great payoff in views and small wind caves.

First time here, my new local favorite spot ❤️
Beautiful and great workout

Beautiful views, but the trail is pretty narrow and difficult to maneuver.

Went on this hike with my son and it was really fun! Narrow road so you just need to step aside every once and a while. We checked out the waterfall on the way back but it was non existent but still a beautiful hike back.

Hit the trail at 6am to avoid the foot traffic. Enjoyed the solitude. Terrain is not too difficult to navigate through and the view from Skull rock is definitely rewarding. Will be doing it again.

Beautiful hike if you get there early. We went on Sunday and arrived at 9AM. We barely missed the crowd that we saw walking up single file in a long line as we came down. (Looked awful since the hikers are all levels and there is not always space to pass). There are multiple lookout points with gorgeous views. The quick elevation change is awesome when you want to get a good workout in a short time.

bring water! I saw a lot of people hiking without water or with a small plastic bottle. on a hot summer day, my husband and I drank two liters each.

This hike is a great extension to the Temescal Canyon Trail. It can get busy on weekends, so i suggest getting there early to avoid the crowds. Can't beat the views!