Skelton Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very beautiful lake. You do see a few people by the lake fishing and walking around. Took my dogs and they loved it. pretty short walk. Easy hike there.

Stopped here with a group of Boy Scouts on the last day of a 3 nighter into Purple and Pika Lakes. Found a great campsite on the peninsula at the northwest end of the lake and had the place to ourselves for the night even at the height of summer.. Spoke with a fellow fisherman early in the afternoon and we both were getting skunked until he headed back to Mammoth Lakes and I quickly hooked 4 Golden Trout (I released them all). It wasn't until I got back to my computer that I learned there aren't recorded to be Golden in that lake. Beautiful spot, surprisingly pristine and natural despite the proximity to the trailhead. Thanks to all for keeping it that way!!

Nice trail. Hiked up with my wife and two kids, little guys is youngest at 6 years old, both kids did great. We added some mileage taking the Emerald Lake trail then going up and around to Skelton lake then back down past Arrowhead Lake -- 3 lakes in one!! I would highly recommend going this route to Skelton Lake. We just went and camped at Coldwater Campground June 2018 and it was gorgeous! Plenty of shade on the trail. Super fun and easy hike for beginners like us

The trail was full of snow, and we were not prepared with the right pants and footwear (you will step through snow to your knees in places and your pants and shoes will become soaked). We had planned to hike to Barney Lake, but the patches of snow became increasingly deep as we got to Skeleton Lake. This slowed down our pace and we often could not see where the trail was (luckily we had gps and this app to keep an eye on the route which as you can see we didn’t do such a good job of following, lol). The afternoon we hiked it also started to be cold, windy and snow, so we stopped at Skeleton Lake which was absolutely beautiful, and worth the (at times frustrating) hike through snow. 4 and not 5 stars only because of how soggy and snowy and hard to follow the trail was this time of year, also the campground was closed until June 1st so we had to park down at the lake and walk up through the campground.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Moderate hike, nice hike because there are many trees and the shade keeps you cool! Also our dog is the best trail dog and he had a blast.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

It's actually Skelton Lake not Skeleton lake

Thursday, July 13, 2017

This was a great moderate hike for my wife and I today! Very scenic trail. There was still snow along the way and about 10-12 medium size snow patches to traverse on the trail. Snow is melting fast and the streams, rivers and waterfalls are in full flow. Check out Lake Arrowhead along the way as a side diversion - beautiful! Side note - we met three amazing ladies all in their 70s who traversed the trail with no excuses. They were very inspirational - Eileen, Margaret and Nancy. Happy Trekking.

Sunday, July 17, 2016