Sitton Peak Truck Trail

Sitton Peak Truck Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The San Juan Loop Trailhead is located off Ortega Hwy (74) 3.6 miles south of the El Cariso Visitor Information Center and Fire Station or .5 miles north of Upper San Juan Campground. (from the Cleveland Natl Forest official website.)

great hike, very secluded.

Great hike. Beautiful views.

Good hike. It’s close to home so I do it often. Park at the Ortego Oaks Candy Store but make sure you have a Day Pass or America the Beautiful annual pass. And stop in the candy store. Homemade candy and treats after your hike.

Beautiful views.Decently challenging uphill and downhill slope at the end.

I love sitton peak it’s one of my favorite peaks I’ve done it 5 times the last times I did it I hiked it at night to watch the sunrise wow started at 3am peaked at 5.15

Definitely a fun hike. Not a hard hike until you get to the final part of the hike and it's a pretty decent up hill challenge. I loved the container at the peak that has a notebook inside it that you can sign leaving what ever message you desire.

Very challenging trail because of the length and lack of water. BRING EXTRA WATER. It gets very hot here because of the nonstop exposure to the sun.

Cool hike. Easier going up than down. Overall easy to medium difficulty. My fiancé took us the wrong way when we got to the top. We read to go back down on bear ridge we thought it was immediately after you get to the top but it’s not. You go back down the same way then after 2 miles you see 3 options and one of them is bear ridge. He took us a different way after we got to the peak and after our legs got scratched for .5 miles I told him we’re probably going the wrong way. He’s stubborn so he kept going and I just waited for him to realize he’s wrong. So he came back telling me it’s definitely not a Trail (surprise) lol. Anyway I complained for a few minutes that my legs are scratched but we got on the original trail and we made up ;) then we made it to the bottom safely. It was fun and not that difficult unless your fiancé decides to make their own trail. Then your relationship might get tested a bit. It was great though will do it again someday. Oh and we ran into a tarantula spider it was super huge and hairy. Adorable fella. My fiancé wanted to touch it... he’s a trouble maker :I
Anyway pretty exciting hike it gets cold at night in the fall. The parking permit can be bought across the street

Last part is a dooooosey!

great hike. not really difficult but has a steep climb for maybe half mile before getting to the peak. the views are great.

Great hike. Good work out. Cloudy this morning but still a pretty hike. No real big uphills until the last .4 miles. Views up to are surprisingly nice. Don't forget to sign the summit log showing you made it.

Hands down awesome hike. Basically trail is hard but, anyone can do it I saw a family with there 2 little kids and they made it to the top. Great time to go is any season.

Fairly easy hike, until the last 1/2 mile or so, which goes up to the peak.
The last 1/2 mile is steep and has loose rocks.
The view from the top is great!

Awesome view from the top, easy hike till the last mile to the very top.

I'd say it's fairly easy hike until you reach the end last 0.8 miles trekking poles will be needed. Beautiful 360 View once you arrive on top.

Good hike, not too challenging, the last mile to the peak is a bit steep, the view is worth it.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

I would say this trail is a good solid hike. First 4 miles are not too strenuous with moderate altitude gain. The last remainder about .8 of a mile is where things get tougher. The angle of accent going up will wear you down a bit but it pays off when you reach the top. The last portion of the hike is marked by white ribbons to help guide you and keep you on course. Gorgeous 360 degree views with breathtaking sights.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

I would definitely recommend this trail for a solid but not too strenuous day hike! The last 1/3 - 1/2 mile heading to the peak was the most strenuous with some VERY steep grades!

The terrain is scenic with lots of different wild flowers and native shrubs. We did this hike in late May and ran into a lot of flies. Forces you to keep moving. :)

Not too many hikers and the peak was very quiet and peaceful.

Note, I think the track associated with this hike on AllTrails is incorrect - it's too long. However, the tracks recorded by other hikers seem to look more accurate. We didn't record our hike.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sitton Peak offers amazing views! The last stretch to the peak is a little rough. Slippery sand and rocky, had to use my hands and feet a few times. Hiking poles came in handy. The Sitton Peak sign was missing. There was a broken glass and trash at peak from previous group. Definitely disappointing others don't pack it in pack it out. Going back down was really slippery but the rough part is very short even though it seems long. Take your time going up & down on the finally leg of the peak and you'll be fine!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

It was awesome. Not too crowded compared to other routes I've been on. Would come back again.