Sitton Peak Truck Trail

Sitton Peak Truck Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Parking is located directly across the Ortega Oaks Candy Store in the San Juan Loop parking lot. You will need an Adventure Pass ($35 for an annual pass, $5 for a daily pass per vehicle) in order to park in the lot. The Bear Canyon Loop trailhead begins a few yards west of the candy store.

Love this trail. Seems more on the moderate side. The only challenge is the last .7 of the trail, but it is fun. Also, there is a lot of uphill on the way back...way more than you realize. Good idea to take pics of the trail crossings...could get lost w/o them.

this was awesome ! went on Wed afternoon. I ran pretty much the whole way. real trail to run on. highly recommend it.

The entrance to the trail is located on the same side as the candy store just a few yards west of the candy store. Although this trail is not technically difficult it is a long trail that steadily climbs which is more difficult in the heat. Beautiful views Some shade in the first half the hike. Found very few places to sit and take a break along the way. Personally I would recommend this hike in cooler weather 90 degrees was a little to hot for me.

Would rate this more as moderate- there's nothing that is technically challenging if you're in decent shape. Not heavily trafficked. Pretty steady climb, the only "steep" part would be at the very end to get to the peak. Lots of places to stop and enjoy the view along the way. Some shaded areas in the middle of the trail, but mostly exposed. The view is stunning!

A large part is rocky and slippery

Beautiful hike with great views as a reward at the peak. Bring lots of water on hot days.

This trail took us just under 2 hours to get to the top (taking the longer route at the 2nd junction) The first 4.5 miles are pretty easy- it’s the last half mile that’s a scramble through the bush. View was beautiful and definitely worth spending some time.

Awesome place especially at the top. Great view, I’ll definitely come back. I’m surprised it wasn’t crowded at all. Sandwiches at the candy store were quite delicious. The owner was really nice too.

Great hike - my Boy Scout Troop and I hiked it last Sunday. Beautiful sunny weather with cool breezes. Nice scenery and great views. Tough 1/2 mile steep ascent to the peak (but not dangerous). You do need good hiking shoes with grip-page. Boy was I glad it was uphill almost all the way and downhill back. I’d do it again - just make sure people are in shape for 2,100 feet of elevation gain and 10 miles. You can shorten hike - up and back - but you’d miss out on the peak. parking lot had plenty of room.

If you hike on a regular basis this is moderate, not hard. Incredible views from the top

great hike, very secluded.

Great hike. Beautiful views.

Good hike. It’s close to home so I do it often. Park at the Ortego Oaks Candy Store but make sure you have a Day Pass or America the Beautiful annual pass. And stop in the candy store. Homemade candy and treats after your hike.

Beautiful views.Decently challenging uphill and downhill slope at the end.

I love sitton peak it’s one of my favorite peaks I’ve done it 5 times the last times I did it I hiked it at night to watch the sunrise wow started at 3am peaked at 5.15

Definitely a fun hike. Not a hard hike until you get to the final part of the hike and it's a pretty decent up hill challenge. I loved the container at the peak that has a notebook inside it that you can sign leaving what ever message you desire.

Very challenging trail because of the length and lack of water. BRING EXTRA WATER. It gets very hot here because of the nonstop exposure to the sun.

Cool hike. Easier going up than down. Overall easy to medium difficulty. My fiancé took us the wrong way when we got to the top. We read to go back down on bear ridge we thought it was immediately after you get to the top but it’s not. You go back down the same way then after 2 miles you see 3 options and one of them is bear ridge. He took us a different way after we got to the peak and after our legs got scratched for .5 miles I told him we’re probably going the wrong way. He’s stubborn so he kept going and I just waited for him to realize he’s wrong. So he came back telling me it’s definitely not a Trail (surprise) lol. Anyway I complained for a few minutes that my legs are scratched but we got on the original trail and we made up ;) then we made it to the bottom safely. It was fun and not that difficult unless your fiancé decides to make their own trail. Then your relationship might get tested a bit. It was great though will do it again someday. Oh and we ran into a tarantula spider it was super huge and hairy. Adorable fella. My fiancé wanted to touch it... he’s a trouble maker :I
Anyway pretty exciting hike it gets cold at night in the fall. The parking permit can be bought across the street

Last part is a dooooosey!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

great hike. not really difficult but has a steep climb for maybe half mile before getting to the peak. the views are great.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Great hike. Good work out. Cloudy this morning but still a pretty hike. No real big uphills until the last .4 miles. Views up to are surprisingly nice. Don't forget to sign the summit log showing you made it.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Hands down awesome hike. Basically trail is hard but, anyone can do it I saw a family with there 2 little kids and they made it to the top. Great time to go is any season.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Fairly easy hike, until the last 1/2 mile or so, which goes up to the peak.
The last 1/2 mile is steep and has loose rocks.
The view from the top is great!

Monday, March 13, 2017

Awesome view from the top, easy hike till the last mile to the very top.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

I'd say it's fairly easy hike until you reach the end last 0.8 miles trekking poles will be needed. Beautiful 360 View once you arrive on top.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Good hike, not too challenging, the last mile to the peak is a bit steep, the view is worth it.

Monday, January 02, 2017

1/1/17
Great trail for running/training. Went up today with friends and two dogs. We left with numerous tics and fleas. Weather was chilly. Been here in the summer and don't recommend it. I never go anywhere in Cleveland national forest in the summer because everything seems hot and dry.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

12/10/16: Adventure pass needed. No permit needed for the hike; however, if you're backpacking then you'll need a permit. A few steps in and you'll see a box requiring you to fill out your info for visitor tracking purposes. The parking lot is on your right hand side and across the street from a candy store. The parking lot is a good size so don't need to worry about getting a spot. Behind the store to the right is the head of the trail. The trail is partially maintained and still visible; although it can be easy to lose your way. Wear pants and long sleeves because there are a lot of brush. At each split in the trail there are signs guiding you to the peak. Trekking poles are helpful especially the last mile before the peak which is where the scrambling comes starts. If you collapse your trekking poles it's helpful for scrambling or use your hands. White ribbons are tied to the bushes to help guide your way. The sitton peak sign is missing. Views are amazing and rewarding.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

I would say this trail is a good solid hike. First 4 miles are not too strenuous with moderate altitude gain. The last remainder about .8 of a mile is where things get tougher. The angle of accent going up will wear you down a bit but it pays off when you reach the top. The last portion of the hike is marked by white ribbons to help guide you and keep you on course. Gorgeous 360 degree views with breathtaking sights.