Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Silver Peak Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(17)
Mojave National Preserve

Silver Peak Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Amboy, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,188 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

Go RIGHT at the wooden structure a 3rd of a mile in. I was off trail the entire valley, following a wash and then dodging cacti. For whatever reason I just assumed that was the trail and kept going, even though I was to the left of the trail on my phone. I was wearing shorts and my legs are all cut up. I'd advise wearing long pants or high socks. There are these little cactus balls that'll hook onto your legs even if you avoid touching the actual cacti. Always follow the AllTrails line on your phone. It is accurate. Once you get out of the valley, the hike to the peak is really nice. Good views. Very windy. The trailhead is accessible in a sedan with average clearance. The dirt road is narrow though, so if you're worried about your paint park at the first small pullout you see, like 2 miles from the trailhead. It gets tighter after that. Many thanks to the property owner for allowing people to hike here!

Trail was fairly easy to follow for most of the time. I restored one part that was difficult to follow. Overall a very beautiful,rewarding hike that is very underrated! One of my favorites!

Sat Apr 27 2019

This is an excellent trail and rewarding experience. Trail is pretty easy to follow most of the way. There are some tricky spots as you approach the true ascent up the mountain, but follow your gut and keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

Sat Apr 13 2019

You probably need an SUV to get here. It's a dirt road that is kinda wonky, with two spots that I would've been nervous if I didn't have the clearance of an SUV. We only had time to do the first ~2.5 miles. It was all hiking through a wash in the valley, which made it easy to follow the trail. Even though we didn't get up into the mountains, it was beautiful. So green and all the plants were flowering! There was no one else on the trail on a Sunday. It's not on any other maps that I could find, so that probably explains the lack of people compared to other nearby trails. Thank you for letting us hike here!

private property
Sun Apr 07 2019

Sat Mar 02 2019

Gorgeous views at the top, well worth the effort it takes to get there. This is a warm hike, even on nice days, so be smart if you want to hike it during hotter months. The trail is steep and overgrown in some areas, but easy to follow if you're alert. As of 01 March, there was still some snow on the back, ankle-deep in some areas. It's only a pain when you leave the road to climb up the last bit to the summit block, as the snow is icy and the soil is loose and wet; just adds a bit of fun. Many thanks to the generosity of the UC system and the owner for keeping this great trail accessible!

Wed Dec 26 2018

Amazing trail! Loved it. Go right when the trails forks (see photo), you should be on the rights side of the wooden structures/tanker that you pass at the beginning. Dogs will get some burs in their feet but it's the desert, so that's expected. Thank you for letting us hike this beautiful land!

Sat Apr 07 2018

Beautiful peak with great views of the Kelso dunes and surrounding desert environment from the summit. There is a registry to sign at the peak just below the rock cairn (there are two summits within about 75' of each other, the registry is on the more western peak. Thanks for Gerald Sauer for allowing public access to this beautiful place!

Sun Mar 12 2017

The forty acres on top of Silver Peak are private property. I'm the owner. You’re welcome to visit at your own risk so long as you respect the remote wilderness setting and "leave no trace." That includes no camping, fires, or firearms. The steep hike to Silver Peak is quite strenuous and potentially dangerous in hot or cold weather. The property is shown on the National Geographic map of the Mojave Preserve.

Tue Apr 11 2017