Silver Moccasin Trail: Shortcut Saddle to Charlton Flats

Silver Moccasin Trail: Shortcut Saddle to Charlton Flats is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,751 feet Route Type: Out & Back

First of all this hike took me 2.5 hours, and I stopped several times to rest. 2nd, there is NO waterfall along this specific rout. 3rd. There is not much scenery. 4th. Its next to and surrounded by the roads so all you hear is annoying stupid loud ass motorcycles ripping up and down the mountain roads the entire time. 5th. It ends at a road. the hike is from road to road. the trail continues across the road, but I only did what the map shows on this page.... which again said there was a waterfall and there was not. Overall hike was lame. the only reason i gave it 2 stars is because the foliage changes quite a bit from one side of the trail to the other, so I thought that was cool. That's it though.

I did it on a cool and cloudy day and loved it. The water in the creek was flowing but the crossings were easy. I only saw one group of hikers, but there were a lot of mountain bikers. Watch out for them. I would not do this hike on a hot and sunny day as there's not much shade.

Quick look at rincon shortcut ohv trail across the street Have to make a plan to come back with Savi to do both.

Sun Nov 04 2018

This trail descends into a valley then ascends on the other side to Charlton Flats picnic area, so the elevation gain is split up which was nice. The landscape and views are pleasant, but nothing spectacular (even for Angeles Forest), we enjoyed looking at the plants more than anything. I just wanted to get some steps and climbs in, so this trail did the trick. The trail was pretty much empty except for a caravan of mountain bikers. The beginning portion of this was shaded, which was a nice way to start and end the hike in the afternoon of a 70 something degree day. I would avoid hiking this on a sunny day in heat hotter than 80.

Sun Aug 12 2018

Just took this trail down to West Fork Campground. The way back up is pretty difficult even for a couple of experienced hikers. If you’re looking to take this to West Fork as a shortcut instead of the trail from Red Box, consider the fact that there are more places to rest on the red box trail. The way back up this way was extremely rocky, full of obstructions and annoyingly steep. Not to mention, there’s very little shade to protect you from the summer sun. If you happen to go all the way to West Fork, the water’s clean enough, but of course, use your own judgment.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Beware- not a lot of shade. Some nice views and some shady parts. Wear lots of sunscreen and bring lots of water. Did not see a waterfall and the creek bed was dry. Very peaceful hike though.

Tue Jun 19 2018

This trail is NOT 5.1 miles. It's more than 50 miles long and extends through most of the San Gabriel mountains. (Closely follows the PCT at some points) The section from the trailhead pick-up located on Angeles Crest Highway to Charlton Flats is probably what the 5.1 miles is meaning.

Sun Jul 23 2017

Nice but no view. It was hot yesterday but there was a breeze. Good for an exercise.

Wed Jul 19 2017

Classic legacy singletrack, nice add-on to the usual Chilao ride. Very low traffic above horse flat and below the Chilao campground road. Hefty climb up to Chantry. No water.

Fri Jun 23 2017

Sun Apr 23 2017

I will first say, maybe it was because of the time of year, but we didn't see any waterfall. It was a great hike, I wanted a bit of a challenge. Step up from Moderate hikes to Hard hikes. This definitely was hard. I recommend getting going early in the morning because there isn't that much shade on the trail. And if you have trekking poles they will be a huge plus. Apparently we didn't reach the exact end of the trail, we decided to head over to a picnic table at the top and eat our lunch before the trek back down. Again, I don't know if it was because of the time of year, but this was not heavily trafficked. We came across 2 groups of people. I would say this was a lightly trafficked trail. All in all it was a great hike, and a good jump up from our usual hikes.

Wed Nov 07 2018