Learn more

Silver Moccasin Trail: Shortcut Saddle to Charlton Flats

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(43)
San Gabriel Mountains National Monument

Silver Moccasin Trail: Shortcut Saddle to Charlton Flats is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,751 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Did this one today. Took me 3 hours to get to the top starting from shortcut saddle I believe, right off the 2 (the one listed on this site). The length of this trail is actually 50 ish miles, listed on this app is only a section of the larger trail. Looking at Wikipedia page makes it sound like it's be a great little backpacking trip, or something to do in sections. This section is botanically interesting with a good number of perennial evergreen and deciduous shrubs. If you want to nerd out on some flora this is a great place. There was a lot of bugs in the beginning and through. if bugs overwhelm you and the feeling of plants rubbing up on you make you paranoid then reconsider this one or come prepared. It was hot and exposed a large amount of the time time. Today the high was 72, and I wouldn't suggest it any higher. This temperature was barely not brutal, in my opinion. It's overgrown and maintained in a way right now that I like - it feels adventurous. It is a good workout. This section of the trail is not for the views or meditative-solitude some look for. I enjoyed getting to Charleton flats and resting in the shade of the flat picnic area. Usually I don't enjoy trails that just lead to other trails or roads, but the rest area was welcoming. Wish I would've brought a sweet and salty snack, electrolytes, 2 liters of water, and a book to read as I rest at the top. Also Wikipedia said this is a 7 mile section, but I feel 5.7 or whatever alltrails says feels right. I didn't see a waterfall and there was barely a creek. you could tell where one is supposed to be.

A beautiful trail amongst pine tree groves with a little creek that cuts through. Very peaceful and not very trafficked.

I went on the same hike as the previous poster and had an entirely different experience. I thought it was such a cool hike, it was very unique. The start of the trail there are probably 5 trees down, it seems pretty fresh though and they just haven’t been able to clear it out yet. There are several areas throughout the hike where you are walking through a bush tunnel which I found really fun. The trail is very diverse in landscape, going from a wooded forest to a sandy desert. We enjoyed it and only saw about 4 people on the trail today. A nice workout for sure.

One of the worst hikes that I can remember. And I hike ALOT. Where shall I begin.. The hike is in the middle of the Angeles National forest, yet big pines are a scarcity. Next, I have to say that the noise pollution alone would make me never come back as you can hear every douche bag with a crotch rocket or a Miata ta omg down the Angles highway for 5 miles. Ok moving on, there are downed trees along the path it seems every 5 minutes...And I don’t mind a rugged hike but the trees here make it just in-enjoyable. And speaking of not enjoying things, I’ll finish off with my personal favorite, the overgrown thorn bushes that line either side and even above the trail the entire way. Terrible. This hike is literally a sharp stick in the eye.

First of all this hike took me 2.5 hours, and I stopped several times to rest. 2nd, there is NO waterfall along this specific rout. 3rd. There is not much scenery. 4th. Its next to and surrounded by the roads so all you hear is annoying stupid loud ass motorcycles ripping up and down the mountain roads the entire time. 5th. It ends at a road. the hike is from road to road. the trail continues across the road, but I only did what the map shows on this page.... which again said there was a waterfall and there was not. Overall hike was lame. the only reason i gave it 2 stars is because the foliage changes quite a bit from one side of the trail to the other, so I thought that was cool. That's it though.

Mon May 27 2019

I did it on a cool and cloudy day and loved it. The water in the creek was flowing but the crossings were easy. I only saw one group of hikers, but there were a lot of mountain bikers. Watch out for them. I would not do this hike on a hot and sunny day as there's not much shade.

Fri Feb 08 2019

Quick look at rincon shortcut ohv trail across the street Have to make a plan to come back with Savi to do both.

Sun Nov 04 2018

This trail descends into a valley then ascends on the other side to Charlton Flats picnic area, so the elevation gain is split up which was nice. The landscape and views are pleasant, but nothing spectacular (even for Angeles Forest), we enjoyed looking at the plants more than anything. I just wanted to get some steps and climbs in, so this trail did the trick. The trail was pretty much empty except for a caravan of mountain bikers. The beginning portion of this was shaded, which was a nice way to start and end the hike in the afternoon of a 70 something degree day. I would avoid hiking this on a sunny day in heat hotter than 80.

Sun Aug 12 2018

Just took this trail down to West Fork Campground. The way back up is pretty difficult even for a couple of experienced hikers. If you’re looking to take this to West Fork as a shortcut instead of the trail from Red Box, consider the fact that there are more places to rest on the red box trail. The way back up this way was extremely rocky, full of obstructions and annoyingly steep. Not to mention, there’s very little shade to protect you from the summer sun. If you happen to go all the way to West Fork, the water’s clean enough, but of course, use your own judgment.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Beware- not a lot of shade. Some nice views and some shady parts. Wear lots of sunscreen and bring lots of water. Did not see a waterfall and the creek bed was dry. Very peaceful hike though.

Tue Jun 19 2018

This trail is NOT 5.1 miles. It's more than 50 miles long and extends through most of the San Gabriel mountains. (Closely follows the PCT at some points) The section from the trailhead pick-up located on Angeles Crest Highway to Charlton Flats is probably what the 5.1 miles is meaning.

Sun Jul 23 2017

Nice but no view. It was hot yesterday but there was a breeze. Good for an exercise.

Wed Jul 19 2017

Classic legacy singletrack, nice add-on to the usual Chilao ride. Very low traffic above horse flat and below the Chilao campground road. Hefty climb up to Chantry. No water.

Fri Jun 23 2017

Sun Apr 23 2017

I will first say, maybe it was because of the time of year, but we didn't see any waterfall. It was a great hike, I wanted a bit of a challenge. Step up from Moderate hikes to Hard hikes. This definitely was hard. I recommend getting going early in the morning because there isn't that much shade on the trail. And if you have trekking poles they will be a huge plus. Apparently we didn't reach the exact end of the trail, we decided to head over to a picnic table at the top and eat our lunch before the trek back down. Again, I don't know if it was because of the time of year, but this was not heavily trafficked. We came across 2 groups of people. I would say this was a lightly trafficked trail. All in all it was a great hike, and a good jump up from our usual hikes.

Sun May 19 2019