Silver Moccasin Trail

Silver Moccasin Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Very nice incline trail that goes for about 2.5 miles to Charlotte Flats area.

Nice but no view. It was hot yesterday but there was a breeze. Good for an exercise.

Classic legacy singletrack, nice add-on to the usual Chilao ride. Very low traffic above horse flat and below the Chilao campground road. Hefty climb up to Chantry. No water.

I will first say, maybe it was because of the time of year, but we didn't see any waterfall. It was a great hike, I wanted a bit of a challenge. Step up from Moderate hikes to Hard hikes. This definitely was hard. I recommend getting going early in the morning because there isn't that much shade on the trail. And if you have trekking poles they will be a huge plus. Apparently we didn't reach the exact end of the trail, we decided to head over to a picnic table at the top and eat our lunch before the trek back down. Again, I don't know if it was because of the time of year, but this was not heavily trafficked. We came across 2 groups of people. I would say this was a lightly trafficked trail. All in all it was a great hike, and a good jump up from our usual hikes.

Thursday, February 23, 2017