Silver Moccasin Trail

Silver Moccasin Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Nice but no view. It was hot yesterday but there was a breeze. Good for an exercise.

Classic legacy singletrack, nice add-on to the usual Chilao ride. Very low traffic above horse flat and below the Chilao campground road. Hefty climb up to Chantry. No water.

I will first say, maybe it was because of the time of year, but we didn't see any waterfall. It was a great hike, I wanted a bit of a challenge. Step up from Moderate hikes to Hard hikes. This definitely was hard. I recommend getting going early in the morning because there isn't that much shade on the trail. And if you have trekking poles they will be a huge plus. Apparently we didn't reach the exact end of the trail, we decided to head over to a picnic table at the top and eat our lunch before the trek back down. Again, I don't know if it was because of the time of year, but this was not heavily trafficked. We came across 2 groups of people. I would say this was a lightly trafficked trail. All in all it was a great hike, and a good jump up from our usual hikes.

Sunday, June 12, 2016