Sill Hill Waterfall Trail

Sill Hill Waterfall Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Julian, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

old growth

private property

Omg this hike. I read all the reviews and I’ve done the three sisters hike so I thought I had this in the bag. I thought everyone was exaggerating about losing the trail. EVERYTHING you read here is true. Took us about 3 hours but we traversed our way down to the waterfall. A combination of the map from this app and following the rocks/tags others have left behind. This hike challenged me more mentally than physically but it is intense. Wildlife has a strong showing. We saw deer , turkeys , huge squirrels, and chipmunks. The ants are insane and the brush is prickly to say it nicely long sleeves and long pants are a must! One of my favorite and most challenging hikes to date.

I have hiked this about 5-6 times now. It's definitely one of my all time favorites. It's pretty easy for most of it and the end is always so much fun. Once you head up the hill of milk road ranch trail, you can stop at the top or head down to the waterfall (which I have yet to see). I have done this in the snow, spring, mid-summer and fall and it's amazing to see the trail transform. There's turkey and lots of deer which is fun! I did run into A LOT of snakes in the summer so I would recommend waiting until October to head up there. BEAUTIFUL views. Careful with the private property! It's very close to the trail but they've done a great job remarking it. You used to have to follow random stacks of rocks which was fun and challenging but confusing at times. Bring lots of water you'll need it for the end!

It's a great trail, easy for the majority of the part. The hardest part is leading to the fall i guess. But it is really hard to cross all the woods and jungles, and very easy to get off the trail on that part, we had to return.

The mileage is not hard, but staying on the trail is a little tough. There are good rock piles, yellow, and blue tape to keep you on track. The markers are better than using GPS, but take your time to see the signs. The fence is down in spring of 2017 so don't stray into the private property. Once you see the green fence go right and look for rocks. Once you get close to the waterfall there isn't much of a trail so you will need to push your way through brush. Stay on the left side of the water and don't cross to soon. It is a nice little adventure.

My dad and I tried this today but we were unable to reach the falls. We could only see them from a distance. I ended up with 5 ticks on me and hopefully I don't get poison oak because it is EVERYWHERE. The brush is so overgrown that the trail was often impossible to follow once you turn off from Milk Ranch Road. I wouldn't go back without a machete and long pants and sleeves. This will challenge you.

I went with my buddy and this was literally the toughest trail in San Diego. We also did the hike in 40 degree rainy weather. At a point, there is no trail - you break off the old dirt trail and head down into the forest following small yellow tape on random branches and man made rock formations to guide you through the madness. Bring tons of water and be physically fit. Hell, a machete could go a long way! Good luck

Toughest hike I've been on, especially because it was raining and 40 degrees when my friend and I did it. Not for the weak hearted or anyone that is impatient. Make sure to bring lots of water and get an early start. I recommend following the rock formations otherwise finding the waterfall will be a wild goose chase

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Almost died... but it was worth it!! Good luck and plz know how to read a map

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

amazing hike will do again. I'm definitely what you'd consider a newbie for hiking but this was relatively easy. got my heart pumping but didn't hate my life. there was a little snow so that was nice !

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Watch out for poison oak once you stray from the trail, don't make the same mistake I did.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

I found that stupid waterfall finally. It only took me 3 tries. It really is gorgeous out there in the snow this time of year. This hike is simple until you hit the cutoff for the falls. It is marked by a frosty the rock man cairn. Bring a map and know where you are going as the ribbons and ducks are a bit scattered at times. You're looking for yellow or blue ribbons and rock piles all the way. It is actually pretty well marked once you figure out what you are looking for. Beware the private property. Bring stuff for snow this time of year. It was gorgeous in the snow, but much more difficult than it would be in warmer months. Overall, pretty awesome bushwhacking adventure.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Holy moley. That's what I can say about this trail. It is so incredibly difficult. I tried to follow some of the maps and somehow got turned around. I took the advice of previous hikers and ended up finding the stacked rocks and tape along the trail. We went about 9 miles into the canyon down the rocks and had to turn around. We lost sight of the stacked rocks and I'm not sure we had adequate gear. We never found the waterfall. We did run into one rattlesnake going down the hill. Beware whenever the weather changes from cold to warm there will be a larger chance of getting bit since the snakes will be out and about. We unfortunately wore the completely wrong attire for the hike and went in shorts. I do not recommend that. We had to use a machete on some parts. There are some nasty ants over there that were eating us up. All in all, this trail really challenged me physically and I would like to find the waterfall. If anyone could tell me which path to take at the 3 road fork, that would be great. Also, someone has marked the beginning of the trail with purple markers that you'll continue to see on your way to the fork. The purple markers went down a different path than I did, so maybe the waterfall was that way. Somebody please let me know! I will be attempting it again soon.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

We weren't paying attention and missed the trail to the waterfall, that's our fault. The grassy trail between the service roads was great. Very scenic views and the burnt trees are eerie. Reminded me of the elephant graveyard from The Lion King.

But the service roads and service roads as trails in general just don't appeal to me. Plus we passed/had to move off the road for multiple truck reforestation tours. Doesn't feel like a hike on a trafficked road.

I'd rate it as moderately difficult and with any hiking experience less so.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

EASY HIKE as long as you stay on the service road! Beautiful scenery. Based on the reviews, my bf and I prepared ourselves for a strenuous hike but it was the opposite.

We found the trail to the waterfall but unfortunately we had to turn around! We were getting eaten alive by the ants & we had our dog w us which was getting irritated by the amount of brush. There's piles of rocks to the waterfall which makes it impossible to get lost. As I said it's not a strenuous hike but the way to the waterfall is more of a workout that the whole 7.8miles on the service road.

As for mountain lions - we did not encounter any. However, we did see a deer and a few turkeys.

**on the way back to the car we saw a few "no dogs" signs, not sure why but we're SORRY Sill Hills Faculty!!?!?**

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Great hike. Waterfall is off another short path. Get "A Foot & A Field in San Diego" for all the details on this area...

Not very difficult, don't understand the note about experienced hikers only...

Monday, February 15, 2016

Beautiful hike. Couldn't find the waterfall though. I guess we need to look harder next time. Not quite difficult either, more of a moderate hike I would say.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Wow. That's what I've got to say. The initial hike was decent all around. There are plenty of trails to hit up the peak and around the mountain for some gorgeous views, but what really got me was the attempt to get to the waterfall.

In order to get to the trail (it's not really a trail at all!) you have to walk through Milk Ranch Road to the Middle Peak Loop Fire road. You keep going for about a mile and a half and it will be on your left. A large tree trunk blocks the way and there are rock piles left by previous hikers to mark the trail. To be honest, we completely passed it up before I realized we went to far. I was following Alejandro Muela's recorded track (it's the route to the falls) below and we backtracked and found it.

The "trail" is continually marked with rock piles (a total god send) but we only went about a quarter of a mile in until my husband and I looked at each other like "we need to be more prepared." We were running out of water, I tore my pants, and it was getting late... so we dejectedly left our mission to the waterfall unaccomplished.

We will be back, and next time we'll bring jeans, gloves, hiking boots, lots of water, swimwear, and a machete for the dead tree branches littered everywhere and blocking our path for the most part.

If you will attempt what we did and will do, be sure to wear long pants and a jacket... Poison oak is everywhere.

We will be back, and we will be ready.

Thursday, February 04, 2016

Awesome. Long beautiful hike. Don't go if you're not in shape!

Thursday, March 26, 2015

I can't believe it. I was browsing for more hikes to go on in this area and I saw the picture of the shelter I made while hiking this trail, lol. So I actually hiked to the top off the mountain and down the east side rather than turn down this trail. I went in February on a warm day a few days after it snowed. The first hour of the hike was fine till we got to the mud. 2 steps up and 1 slide back lol. Eventually we got to the ice and it was slippery and very steep. Took us almost all day. Beautiful hike though. Try to go about 2 weeks or so after it rains so the ground will harden back up.

P.S. Easy to find Trail Head for this hike BUT almost impossible to find the cutoff to the falls from the trail to the peak.

Monday, June 02, 2014

Attempted it twice. Have yet to reach the falls itself, but was about 100-200 feet above it at its source from La Purta spring. Blazed our own trail due to overgrowth. Great hike with great views. Will reach the falls this weekend for sure!