Sill Hill Waterfall Trail

Sill Hill Waterfall Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Julian, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

old growth

private property

The mileage is not hard, but staying on the trail is a little tough. There are good rock piles, yellow, and blue tape to keep you on track. The markers are better than using GPS, but take your time to see the signs. The fence is down in spring of 2017 so don't stray into the private property. Once you see the green fence go right and look for rocks. Once you get close to the waterfall there isn't much of a trail so you will need to push your way through brush. Stay on the left side of the water and don't cross to soon. It is a nice little adventure.

My dad and I tried this today but we were unable to reach the falls. We could only see them from a distance. I ended up with 5 ticks on me and hopefully I don't get poison oak because it is EVERYWHERE. The brush is so overgrown that the trail was often impossible to follow once you turn off from Milk Ranch Road. I wouldn't go back without a machete and long pants and sleeves. This will challenge you.

I went with my buddy and this was literally the toughest trail in San Diego. We also did the hike in 40 degree rainy weather. At a point, there is no trail - you break off the old dirt trail and head down into the forest following small yellow tape on random branches and man made rock formations to guide you through the madness. Bring tons of water and be physically fit. Hell, a machete could go a long way! Good luck

Toughest hike I've been on, especially because it was raining and 40 degrees when my friend and I did it. Not for the weak hearted or anyone that is impatient. Make sure to bring lots of water and get an early start. I recommend following the rock formations otherwise finding the waterfall will be a wild goose chase

Almost died... but it was worth it!! Good luck and plz know how to read a map

amazing hike will do again. I'm definitely what you'd consider a newbie for hiking but this was relatively easy. got my heart pumping but didn't hate my life. there was a little snow so that was nice !

Watch out for poison oak once you stray from the trail, don't make the same mistake I did.

I found that stupid waterfall finally. It only took me 3 tries. It really is gorgeous out there in the snow this time of year. This hike is simple until you hit the cutoff for the falls. It is marked by a frosty the rock man cairn. Bring a map and know where you are going as the ribbons and ducks are a bit scattered at times. You're looking for yellow or blue ribbons and rock piles all the way. It is actually pretty well marked once you figure out what you are looking for. Beware the private property. Bring stuff for snow this time of year. It was gorgeous in the snow, but much more difficult than it would be in warmer months. Overall, pretty awesome bushwhacking adventure.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Friday, June 17, 2016

Holy moley. That's what I can say about this trail. It is so incredibly difficult. I tried to follow some of the maps and somehow got turned around. I took the advice of previous hikers and ended up finding the stacked rocks and tape along the trail. We went about 9 miles into the canyon down the rocks and had to turn around. We lost sight of the stacked rocks and I'm not sure we had adequate gear. We never found the waterfall. We did run into one rattlesnake going down the hill. Beware whenever the weather changes from cold to warm there will be a larger chance of getting bit since the snakes will be out and about. We unfortunately wore the completely wrong attire for the hike and went in shorts. I do not recommend that. We had to use a machete on some parts. There are some nasty ants over there that were eating us up. All in all, this trail really challenged me physically and I would like to find the waterfall. If anyone could tell me which path to take at the 3 road fork, that would be great. Also, someone has marked the beginning of the trail with purple markers that you'll continue to see on your way to the fork. The purple markers went down a different path than I did, so maybe the waterfall was that way. Somebody please let me know! I will be attempting it again soon.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

We weren't paying attention and missed the trail to the waterfall, that's our fault. The grassy trail between the service roads was great. Very scenic views and the burnt trees are eerie. Reminded me of the elephant graveyard from The Lion King.

But the service roads and service roads as trails in general just don't appeal to me. Plus we passed/had to move off the road for multiple truck reforestation tours. Doesn't feel like a hike on a trafficked road.

I'd rate it as moderately difficult and with any hiking experience less so.

Sunday, April 24, 2016