Signal Peak OHV Trail

Signal Peak OHV Trail is a 11.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Soda Springs, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and ohv/off road driving.

Distance: 11.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,565 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Short, difficult trip to 7,841-ft. mountain peak. This short trip sees minimal traffic. Great views once you get above the trees. Short walk to abandoned, historic lookout station once used to spot fires along railroad that can be seen below. Difficult. Narrow, steep road with tight brush and a very tippy rock challenge. Subject to washouts. Not for stock SUVs.

My 4th time to hike Signal Peak and 3rd time up the easy “summer trail”. It was the first time to descend via Fordyce Lake Road, a long but easy walk. This was the final day of 2019 high Sierra hiking before the real snow arrived. In fact, we hiked the final couple miles in light flurries and within a couple hours of our return to Sacramento via I-80 the highway was closed by heavy snow and accidents in both directions. This was my 35th 2019 peak climb. Time to break out the snowshoes.

ohv/off road driving

Nice day trip trail I had been wanting to get to for a while. We took the Eagle lake side up which was relatively easy with Rubicon on 35s 4” lift and full skids. The view at the top was awesome. Then the road down to Cisco was basically just a fire road with some loose rocks that could be done by most trucks with some level of clearance.

ohv/off road driving

We went 10 strong on this run. We all made it fine with helping in spotting locations for people not 100% sure of the line they want to take. Overall I would recommend having a lift, big tires and rails if you want protection. Trail is on the more challenging side but I wouldn’t say it’s hard. Definitely some spots to keep an eye on. Make sure to stay left at the first fork. This first fork marks the end of the challenging section.

Just did it in my 5th gen 4Runner and the beginning was a little scary for my novice self. There are several sections where there are pretty large rocks where I’d say a stock vehicle would undergo lots of scraping of the underbody. I have a 2.5” lift, rock sliders, and skid plates and used them all. Only 32” stock sized tires though. Once you get to the top, the second half down is mostly just dirt road. Also, around where the first “note” is, where it said bear right and go up the rocky section, I went up a steep mostly dirt road and then it appeared to be a dead end. I must have gotten turned around. Apparently if you wanted to go up a challenging route, where it is steep and there are small loose rocks, there was a branch in the road around there, but I didn’t take that turn.

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail. Came in from eagle lake rd side. Little over grown. Did it in 2014 Jeep jk on 37s . No problem

nice trail, pretty easy for the vast majority of the time. few spots that need some clearance and undercarriage protection. good for hiking too. went little bit late, so didn't see much of views. I go there earlier some other time.

ohv/off road driving

Went up and down from the Cisco Grove side. Super easy, could be done by any stock 4x4 with low range and decent tires. Incredibly scenic with wildflowers along the way up and 360 views of the Sierras from the peak.

ohv/off road driving

Awesome off road driving trail. Went up via Cisco side to the peak and hiked to the old lookout house at the end of the trail at the top. Traversed down the trail on the other side and it was fantastic. A few tricky spots with lots of rocks and decent drops - needed to move some rocks in some spots to prevent catching underbody. 4” lift with 33” tires on my wrangler and it handled it fine - would definitely been a little trickier going up that way. Definitely recommend it!!

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail for an afternoon Jeep run. Incredible views, lots of history.

recorded Signal Peak OHV Trail

ohv/off road driving

Great views. Went up and down from Cisco side. Would recommend a vehicle with 4x4 capability.

ohv/off road driving

07-13-2019 - went all the up to signal peak on my Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Entered the trail through the Cisco Grove side and cam back the same way. No snow from Cisco Grove side, great views.

ohv/off road driving

7-8-19 Still too much snow to get to the top, had to turn around and go back down I am guessing another month

ohv/off road driving

stock land rover discovery, still got stuck in snow about 2 miles into fordyce rd, an atv tried going around me and broke front diff. probably wont be a navigable trail for most off roading street vehicles until early-mid july

ohv/off road driving

Jeep tj 32“ AT tires, open diff. Still snow on road. Have winch but not confident in making it through. Needs to melt for a few more weeks.

Tue Jan 15 2019

Did it in a stock 2018 raptor. Would recommend getting some Fautz skid plates just in case. Some of the adjacent trails, including crossing parts of the river, can be sketch if you don't know the area. I'd recommend bringing a chain saw in case of fallen debris or overgrowth.

Thu Nov 22 2018

Been out here several times, going up from Eagle Lakes is a little more difficult than starting from Cisco, but have made it up both sides in a stock 97 Grand Cherokee and a Stock 91 Cherokee. The view at the top is great, planning on going out again this weekend.

Wed Oct 24 2018

This is an awesome trail with some beautiful scenery. The old rail fire lookout building at the top is a cool historic building to see and the view is fantastic. There are two options to get up to the top. You can take the hard way or the easy way (Through Cisco Grove). We went up the hard way and came down the Cisco way. From the trailhead to the top it was 4.8 miles with an elevation gain of almost 3K feet and took us about 3 hours with a stock Rubicon on 33s. Lots of rocks and small boulders but only two kind of challenging spots where we had to get out and spot a line. The hard way requires a 4x4 and the easy way would be fine to 2WD.

Tue Sep 18 2018

Nice trail, came up the hard side (eagle lake). Would rate the trail a moderate. No problems for our Wranglers with 35's. It is a quite lose rocky climb up with a handful of small obstacles. Good warm up for a lifted rig and probably pretty challenging for stock vehicles.

Sat Sep 15 2018

This was a fun, family friendly experience.

Sun Aug 26 2018

This is a great trail! We camped by Fordyce lake and did the trail in reverse. The lake side of the trail is super easy, once we got to the top the views are top notch. I reccomend going out to the end and check out the old signal building. going down has some challenges but nothing major. I have a 2.5 lift and rock sliders and made it through just fine.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Did this trail yesterday in my 2018 stock Tacoma with running boards. My friends had lifted rigs and 35s and it was a breeze. This was a sweet trail, it is doable in a stock truck with a spotter but you will scrape a little bit and I would suggest some sort of side protection. All around a technical trail for a stock truck but a lot of fun and worth the view.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Did the trail today except we did it in reverse. I think this was better as the tough parts were more on the downhill. Really cool views at the top and easily done in 2-3 hours. We had 2 mod’d rubicon’s and had no difficulty at all. Would be tough for a stock Rubicon if you don’t want any scraping on the bottom but we each had about 4-5” lifts and 35s. Great trail

Sun May 27 2018

I did this trail as a group event with 6 other Jeeps. Some were fairly stock, as in no lift, others with up to 4 inches of lift. Driver skill ranged for this being their first time to several years of wheeling. We went up the trail on the Eagle Lake side. There were a few areas where spotters were needed, but all in all this wasn't a difficult trail. I would honestly say that it is a moderate trail. The first time drivers made it though with no problems.

Mon Oct 30 2017

This trail should be split into 2 sections. The eagles lakes side, and the Cisco side. The Cisco side is a breeze. Not difficult at all and very scenic. Stock 4x4 no problems. The eagle lakes side on the other hand. Trail is very narrow, expect scratching your rig up. Have big wheels and armor underneath or you’ll regret it. The trail is steep and jagged. Managed to do it in a 4x4 Tacoma with 3inch lift, stock tires, but wouldn’t do it again until I was sitting on at least 35s and some better armor underneath.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Fun trail for a beginner like me. My first off-roading trip. The view from the top is beautiful. Worth the drive up there. Was able to use 4H right before reaching the peak then switched to 4L. Didn't use my lockers at all. As you get closer to the top, it gets steeper. The road is narrow but still wide enough for my jeep. Going down seems more scary than going up. I think just because I cannot see my line on passenger side. But I can gauge how wide my jeep is so it was ok. Set my jeep on 4L 1st gear and took my foot of the brake then headed down the steep downhill. The jeep did its thing.

Wed Sep 06 2017

Great trail! Nice view when you get to the top.