Signal Peak 4x4 Trail

Signal Peak 4x4 Trail is a 11.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Soda Springs, California that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for off road driving. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

off road driving

Short, difficult trip to 7,841-ft. mountain peak. This short trip sees minimal traffic. Great views once you get above the trees. Short walk to abandoned, historic lookout station once used to spot fires along railroad that can be seen below. Difficult. Narrow, steep road with tight brush and a very tippy rock challenge. Subject to washouts. Not for stock SUVs.

off road driving

Fun trail for a beginner like me. My first off-roading trip. The view from the top is beautiful. Worth the drive up there. Was able to use 4H right before reaching the peak then switched to 4L. Didn't use my lockers at all. As you get closer to the top, it gets steeper. The road is narrow but still wide enough for my jeep. Going down seems more scary than going up. I think just because I cannot see my line on passenger side. But I can gauge how wide my jeep is so it was ok. Set my jeep on 4L 1st gear and took my foot of the brake then headed down the steep downhill. The jeep did its thing.

Great trail! Nice view when you get to the top.

off road driving

Getting out of the Sacramento heat! Trail was great.

off road driving

Fun trail in the summer time once the snow melts, amazing view from the lookout point.

We went in with a group of 7 and everyone made it up, would not recommend a stock 4x4 vehicle but if you've got good ground clearance and know your rig its a fun little run.

Large vehicles definitely not recommended.

off road driving

The first 200 yards of the trail is pretty much wrecked. Fine for crawlers and bigger off road setups. Not accessible any longer by stock 4x4s from this trailhead. Recommend you come from the other side of the peak via Cisco.

off road driving

We took a group of 7 rigs, one of which was a stock 4Runner (I don't recommend it). Two great spotters and good driving and he made it up. There are only a couple of sketchy spots that you might need to get out and walk before trying. We also continued down to Fordyce Lake. Overall a great trip. I wouldn't classify this as hard, I think it's more on the moderate side. Beautiful scenery!

off road driving

Amazing views, gets less 'bumpy' about a mile into the trail but still a tough trail. Moderately technical, bring a spotter and some recovery gear just incase!

Friday, April 08, 2016

fly fishing
Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Hiked this trail over two days during the Fourth of July weekend. I'm pretty sure there was a big 4x4 rally taking place but everyone we ran into while out was very nice. The views could not be better. Fordyce creek and the surrounding area are amazing. The jeep trail is definitely for the advanced, and properly equipped, 4x4 enthusiast. We drive along the road towards Fordyce Lake but stopped and parked the car approx. 1 mile from the lake, the hill right after the small concrete bridge is a no-go for MOST vehicles, as it is clear that some 4x4's have trouble climbing back out. Great overnight hike in/out with some fishing.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

We used to do this trail every year as part of CA4WDC's Sierra Trek event. Tough 4x4 trail and a LOOOOONG day but beautiful. It gets more difficult every year. I've hiked roughly half this trail from Meadow Lake down, tough hike but I love it.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

A short rough trail from the Eagle Lakes exit on highway 80. The first 1.5 mile is rated moderate a stock high clearance vehicle with low range and a good driver will make it. At mile 1.5 there is a very short difficult section. At that point 33" wheels and lockers recommended. The tough section can be trickey and is not for the inexperienced.
The view at the top is worth the effort. The road down is easy.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Great 4X4 run up the Mountain on the Jeep trail seems that 33 inch tires and rear lockers or limited slip are needed. Once on the top it is an assume view. Well worth the time. The road down is ok for a high clearance vehicle

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Friday, July 22, 2011

Very pretty out there and a lot of fun to go rock climbing and hiking.