Sierra Pelona OHV Road [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(41)
Angeles National Forest

Sierra Pelona OHV Road is a 27.7 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Santa Clarita, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 27.7 km Elevation Gain: 1,298 m Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

Arrived today at noon and it was closed.

ohv/off road driving

A little rocky and narrow at bits, but an overall mellow trail. You can go the whole way with a 2wd and if you have diff lock you can make it up almost all the off shoots. Beautiful views, and fun as well. A few spots for dirt bikes and atvs that the trucks can’t get up.

ohv/off road driving

Super views and a lot of smiles driving up up up then along the ridge. Crosses Rowher a few times and you get to see some of the hill climbs on that for when you feel more confident. Easy trail- but beautiful views.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail, it is pretty rocky right off the start but then mellows out. The trail is closed halfway through but if you follow the 6N08 trail to the left where its closed it will take you back to the highway so you dont have to turn around. Definitely recommend.

Gran lugar de mucha diversión tanto para autos 4x4 y motos para montañas y todo tipo de vehículo extremo Muy recomendado

Tue Jun 04 2019

Went in my ‘19 Jetta with 1.5” lift and K0/2’s. No problem at any point. The trail was closed halfway where the 4x4 trail crosses. Came back down the same way once again with no issues.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Nice trail for everyone.

Sat May 11 2019

Super fun trail! If you're a beginner I would recommend this. There are a lot of different off shoots for different levels and activities. Pay attention to the map because there are several trails intersection each other. Accidentally deviated off the trail at the end but over all it was fun and the nature was absolutely gorgeous. We saw a huge snake, thousands of butterflies, and colorful wildflowers. Nice seeing the deferent geology of the area. I also like how close it is to the valley. Very fun!

Sun Apr 28 2019

This trail is great for beginners and avid drivers alike. Good views. High clearance recommended (mainly at the beginning) but not needed. No 4wd needed either. Took up my Xterra, had fun with ease. I saw a Jeep Renegade tearing it up. Overall good trail.

Fri Mar 15 2019

3/15/19 this trail is closed about half way through. still enough to experience some great views.

Sat Feb 09 2019

Great morning didn’t see anyone until the end of the journey on my way out. Dirt bikers real cool peeps got the crosstrek stock wheels and tires handled like a dream and of course got it dirty

Sat Nov 10 2018

Fun drive! Great scenic views, pretty easy driving. Went on a Saturday and didn't see another soul.

Mon Nov 05 2018

Like others mentioned, it's a pretty simple trail that doesn't require 4x4. BUT at the top of the mountain, about 10 miles in, you can drop onto Rowher (Black Diamond rated) trail and get your thrills. If you want to "Faux-overland" on a day trip from LA you can hit Delsur Trail, drive 2 miles South on Bouquet Canyon Rd and then start this trail for a ~45 mile ride which would take 4-6 hours depending.

Sat Oct 06 2018

More easy than moderate, mostly needs high clearance though X4 is useful at the start. It's "OK" but not worth going out of your way for, we turned back after a while as it was a little boring compared to the good off-road viewing options. We didn't see anyone on a weekday.

Wed Mar 28 2018

Really fun but did not go the entire way as it would take a bit of time. A lot of great spots with different challenges and some great views for a picnic. We went during the week and only ran into a few others but otherwise it was very quiet.

Fri Feb 02 2018

Easy fire road traveling to the top of mountain. Lunch at the top enjoying beautiful views.

Sat Nov 25 2017

I️t was my first time off road driving. I was truly impress, the entire trip was amazing the scenic views and most importantly off roading!!

Fri Oct 13 2017

Nice views, fun trail

Sun Sep 10 2017

Mon Aug 28 2017

Stock 2wd suvs and trucks can handle no problem. No obstacles, nice views. Couple of shortcuts here and there that are fun.

Mon Aug 07 2017

Second off-roading trip. The first half mile to a mile is more intense than the rest. We went on a mild day, but I would suggest water and snacks. This took about 3 hours for us, but we're still getting to know our vehicle's abilities. Watch the signs! There are some places where other fire roads cross and we turned onto the wrong one and ended up with a 14 mile trip instead of the 17 miles this says it is. Artesian Springs crosses about 11 miles in and that's around where we took 6N08 (This Sierra Pelona trail is 6N07). We ended up back on Bouquet Canyon Rd, just a lot sooner than we expected.

Sun Mar 05 2017

As a new truck owner, this road is EXACTLY what I had been seeking. Ran from West to East and highly recommend it to other noobs looking for a little bit of everything!

Wed Dec 16 2015

Pretty relaxing trail with beautiful views. I was in a bone stock quad cab Tacoma TRD Off Road and it was a breeze. I was in 2wd for much of the first stretch, but did have the dif locked and a little ground clearance is recommended. The trail ends up intertwining with Rowher, which definitely does get difficult, so be careful to stay on Sierra Pelona unless you're ready for that. I took Rowher in low range down the back end and was fine, but wished I had better clearance and articulation. Rowher gets pretty steep with some difficult bits (technical in stock trucks), so stick to the switch backs on Sierra Pelona unless you're ready for it.

Sun Sep 22 2013

Simple fire road. Takes you on a scenic tour. 4x4 not required.