Sierra Buttes Lookout Trail

Sierra Buttes Lookout Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Views of three lakes to fire lookout where you can see the Sacramento Valley. Trailhead is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile after the end of paved road. Beyond trailhead is OHV-only. Trail is mostly uphill but not too steep with plenty of flat ground. As you approach the first ridge, you'll see wildflowers & butterflies galore. Around the bend are the Tamarack Lakes, reflecting the sky, clouds, & trees. A little ways farther is Young America lake, which is just as reflective. Finally, you'll meet up with the 4WD trail that has 4 or 5 switchbacks, and finally reach the bottom of the lookout tower. If you're afraid of heights, you might not want to climb, but if not, be prepared for the views! Approximately 200 steps later, you'll be atop the lookout tower, with 360-degree views of the entire Sacramento Valley. On clear days you can see as far as Lassen! You also have a wonderful view of Upper & Lower Sardine Lake.

One of my favorite trails. Love it ❤️

I love this area. The sierra buttes lookout is absolutely breathtaking.

was awesome in June . fairly easy to follow even with snow. anyone know about snowshoeing this trail or parts of it in winter months?

off road driving

The lookout is absolutely amazing. I have not hiked this portion of the Sierra Buttes simply because driving straight up the southwestern side is irresistible (if you have a good 4x4, that is)!!
My wife and one of our boys has hiked up to the lookout and they reported the trek to be quite steep. This is a popular and very worthy hike/4x4. It's all about the view.

beautiful views, be sure to have jacket!!

great hike. ond of a kind. cool stair case up to the fire look out. from Sacramento it felt like a long drive to get to trail head which is up high. the trail is groomed and good condition. moderate challenge and can be enjoyed in half a day. the view is great. i would do it again.

Great views, not sure how rates moderate,

Really Amazing view. All over. Every time on the way to look about house. Even dow it's very stiff up. Lots of shades.

This was one of the most scenic hikes my wife and I have taken. Well worth it.

I fell in love ! Great place .. I started my hiking way down not from the Sierra Trail ..

Wonderful hike with stunning views all around!

This hike was so much fun! The views are absolutely beautiful! Many places to go off trail to take photos. We took both our dogs, and they both made it. Tied off at the base of the tower, I don't recommend taking your dog up the stairs. Take plenty of water, we did it in about 50 minutes.

Great! We took our dog and two 5 year olds. Pack water for your dog as there is none along the way. This hike is all up then all down but the trail is great and not very technical. The views are amazing

I love this trail. The panoramic view of the mountains and lakes from the lookout at the top is amazing, and completely worth the steep climb. The trail is part of the PCT, so if hiking part of the trail is on your to-do list, this is a great section to mark off!