Siberia Creek Trail is a 16.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.7 miles Elevation Gain: 5,351 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Siberia Camp is accessed by 2 trails, south of Big Bear or 5 miles east of Running Springs. The latter is better maintained and is a Grand Canyon style descent of 2500 ft over 3 miles. Year- round creeks, amazing views and solitude will greet you. Camp overnight &/or link to the next destination!! The approach near Running Springs is better maintained and easier to get to. Merely exit HWY 18 about 1/3 mile east of Snow Valley Mountain Resort and tend toward the east on a dirt road for about 1/4 mile. If you have a low profile car, you will probably want to walk this portion. The trailhead indicator on this map is accurate, so you can follow your GPS to it. The hike begins under good forest canopy but as you edge out on the south face of the mountain, the vegetation is mostly chaparral. Continue down well-graded switchbacks for approximately 3 miles. Occasionally there are groves of re-growth as the forest recovers from a long ago wildfire. The closer you get to the canyon-bottom, the better the forest canopy becomes. The canyon sides are steep and rugged, and you can gauge your descent on the opposite side of the canyon using geographical features for reference. The last 3/4 of a mile you more or less parallel an unnamed creek from Slide Peak until reaching Bear Creek which drains the Big Bear area watershed including Big Bear Lake. The flows here are usually low enough to cross using rocks or logs, but during some winters or springs, you may need to expect a wet crossing. Soon after crossing the creek follow faint trail and cairns a short distance to the primary camping site which is about 200 yards from the creek crossing, toward the south-east on the benches above the confluence of Bear Creek and Siberia Creek.

2May2020 Trail in rough shape but still trackable. No snow whatsoever. Thorns everywhere @ mile 3. Parking is available outside ski resort. Extremely rural, no other hikers on a Saturday. Incline is strait down to creek from about 7,000. Then down to 4.5 then back to 7. Started at 10:20am turned around at 2:00. The climb back is rough. Views are above average. Rough route to complete as day trip. Should have Got there at first light. Probably won’t be back. Logged 8 hours and about 14 miles. Great workout. Drank filtered water from the creek. Giant rattlesnake. Along with a shoe bite from a smaller snake.

Good bit of snow at the beginning. Bring an Adventure Pass, had to park at a small lot before the ski resort. Walked on the road to get to the trail head. Made it to where we could see down to the creek, but brush was too over grown to get close. Turned back around there. Leg burner coming back up. Signs of bears near creek and may have heard one, so be prepared. There were also ticks in the forested area by the creek.

Great trail made it down the stream, the fun part is the way back, I’m gonna feel it for sure for the next couple of days

We did this hike yesterday as a day hike. From the freeway to Bear Creek and back. We found a couple patches of passable brush blocking the trail. Once down the hill it was really nice at the creek. Had a nap in our hammock we setup by the stream. Wish we had more time. The walk back up was where the difficulty started. It’s a difficult climb. Great workout! Even the dog was sore the next day. Overall, we had a good time and would go back. Maybe to stay the night and explore the creek. I’ll be bring pruning clippers on that trip. If you go make sure you bring protection from mosquitoes (they were hungry), ticks, and know how to spot stinging nettle.

Sun May 19 2019

Ran this yesterday. The way down is amazing. Clear single track trail. You will lose GPS signal about half a mile down the trail and wont get it back for duration. The views are good. Went to creek and turned around. Mile 2 I had ticks dropping out of the trees and bushes on my shirt. Had long sleeve white shirt on. By the big tree at mile 3 by the creek it was tick and bug infested. Dogs will come out covered in them. I sprayed myself down but it can only do so much. If you pass through mile 3 and the creek Id do it quickly. The climb out is tough. If your in good shape it is a slow run out can be done without poles. Hikers itll probably take you 2 hours back from creek if you’re not running it. Good workout.

Sat May 18 2019

Overnight at Siberia Creek group camp— a great site. Agree that the trail is on the challenging side of moderate due to incline and a couple places we lost the trail along the creek. Day 1 is recorded, in which we set up camp then continued along Siberia Creek trail part of the way to enjoy some nice views. Got significant rain overnight (and some snow above us!) in late May, so day 2 we just packed up and hiked back. 1 fire ring on site. Some ticks from hike, but we noticed them on clothes before they got us. Post-camp, along creek, you’re better off sticking to official dotted line than other AllTrails recording paths (red) if using the app. After switchback assent on other side of camp that may not be true as we were on a clear path but not aligned with map’s official dotted line.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Whichever person labeled this trail as “moderate” was either punking us or jogs up Mt Whitney every day before breakfast. This hike is beautiful—but it is hot and hard. After a gentle start (and a grove of young Sequoias!), the trail plunges down 2000 feet into the canyon in almost full exposure to the sun. I was at about the 4-mile mark before I got to the shady paradise at the canyon’s floor. After a little time under the alder trees, I started the “moderate” zigzag back up the way I came.

Tue Oct 16 2018

Hiked in mid October. It was raining and cold but overall hike was great. We only made it to the creek before heading back up about 7 miles there and back. It's all uphill with no breaks on the way back. Saw lots of evidence of bears but didn't encounter any thank goodness. So be prepared for that. It's a beautiful hike over all.

Thu Jul 05 2018

Completed today, 4th July! Repeat to all reviews. Hot. Drank 3 Liters out. Wore good Light weight pants an sun shirt. Really help with all the thorns snags and biting things. One 4’ king snake. Great training hike. Hike out no joke.

Thu May 10 2018

very hard trail over grown shrubs and trees on trail .. you better be in good shape if you do this its a true but kicker .. last thought watch out for ticks i got one

Thu Jan 04 2018

Hiked in from TH parking on Forest Road 1N64. Trail is overgrown, but still recognizable.Just watch out for the Yuccas. Five or six spots are slide areas that require attention to get across the 20 to 40 foot ravines. Some down trees on trail as well. Pants, sturdy shoes and long sleeves recommended. At mile 3 it ties in with the Siberia Creek trail for a 200 foot decent to the Group camp. Several nice spots here to camp. Siberia Creek and Bear Creeks join here and there is plenty of water. Also bugs. Ammo can with trail log at one site with stories of good fishing here. Maybe if more people travel this, the trail will get some maintenance. Nice views looking down the Bear Creek drainage on most of the trail. Also, an old mine shaft opening at around mile two.

Thu Aug 11 2016

It's been awhile since I hiked into this area. I have done it from the top twice and several times from Seven Oaks just to the meeting of Bear Creek and Siberia Creek. The latter trail had some slide areas and was a bit dangerous. The former from Snow Valley area is steep, exposed and brushy. My friend and I were deterred for some time climbing out, trying to figure out how to get past a rattlesnake hidden under a bush that sat right above the trail at head height. Be careful. I have also camped at the nicely improved site where Siberia Creek and Bear Creek meet. We did have a bear encounter there. Take lots of water, especially during the summer, 3-4 liters at least. The individual who posted about fishing was right about the size of fish, but this is strictly single barbless hook catch and release. He was fishing illegally. It's a sport, not a carnival.

Tue Jul 19 2016

Trail is pretty overgrown at times, I definitely recommend pants. My hike was SO BUGGY, gnats and biting flies almost the whole 6.5 miles. Those are the only downfalls. Trail was empty, saw a lone hiker on their way down while we headed up but otherwise not a soul. Creek was pretty and flowing nice enough, but the bugs were worst at the bottom. Hike back up is no joke. Recommend avoiding it at high sun. I drank 3 liters of water on this hike and wished I had more.

Fri Jul 15 2016

I'm currently on the trail making my way up. This IS ROUGH. Bring a lot of water, brings snacks, bug repellant, and bring pants. there is no clean water. Again, ROUGH.

Tue May 17 2016

this hike had absolutely gorgeous views Vistas and valleys along the way and there were tons of wildflowers on the trail which made it smell wonderful. this Trail is rated as hard and definitely was but we were able to make it all the way down the mountain and backup with a four and six year old. so don't complain too much if you decide to take this hike and get tired :-). reaching the creek at the bottom and jumping in the nice cold water with my six year old daughter made the rough Journey worth it. the only negative we took back with us was a nasty little tick that was trying to eat my four year old. I'm not the only one who has picked up ticks along this Trail. another hiker left the review about coming home with ticks on her dog. would definitely recommend this hike although would recommend checking yourself for ticks periodically throughout the day. also be prepared to walk through some really thick brush and unmaintained parts of the trail

Thu Dec 11 2014

Did this hike 4 days ago and it really is a beautiful trail but I brought my two dogs along and found several ticks on them today. They are huskies so it was hard to find all the ticks, but there were several on each dog and unfortunately both dogs had to be put on antibiotics because there was are red ring around the bite marks which indicate infection. The trail was overgrown with bushes so there must have been lots of ticks when we went. This is the first time I've ever even seen a tick on either of my dogs and I have done a lot of hiking in the area so just be extra careful on this trail if you have pets. My vet up in big bear had not seen an infectious reaction from a tick bite and has never had to prescribe antibiotics for tick bites in the big bear area so it's rare but maybe because the trail is overgrown there is a very high risk for infectious tick bites. Other than that disaster, the trail was a good challenge, especially going back up, and the creeks were flowing great! there were many beautiful views and we didn't see a single person going up or down. I wouldn't camp here now that I know there are ticks everywhere lol

Fri Aug 01 2014

Started at 1:00 p.m., hiked down to the creek and back up. Took about 3 hours total for 6 miles. Trail was in good shape. Gnats and flies were annoying; would recommend wearing repellant. The views were great but I kept my eyes on the trail as it is quite narrow in places. Hiking poles were helpful. Note-the trailhead sign confused me a bit, as it said "Camp Creek Trail IW09." The dirt road to the parking area is quite uneven and unsuitable for low clearance vehicles.