Shortcut Canyon Trail To West Fork Campground is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Singing Springs, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Went in August so there wasn't many people out there. (Saw 2 breaking camp as I arrived). Trail maintenance has been out there recently, only two downed trees that need to be climbed over. Looks like the trail has been used by animals mostly. (lots of prints and scat). Overall it was a good hike, some nice views (A lot of burnt trees still from the Station fire). Don't know how this trail is rated moderate, the climb out is difficult. Dreaded hill loop in Whiting Ranch gets a hard rating and has 500ft less in elevation gain and is a shorter trail.

FYI. The signs say the trail is 3.8 each way so that’s a bit different than lists here.

***BEWARE OF TICKS***
We took our Weimaraner and ended up with a min. of 8 ticks embedded in her and probably another 8+ that I managed to flick off before attachment! Make sure you’ve got what you need to dealing with ticks and to have your puppy treated w proper medications.

The camping spots at west fork are decent. Fire rings are provided. A outhouse style toilet which I never used so I’m not sure what to say there.

Lots of trees and a decent stream of water running here in Jan despite the limited ran we’ve had.

We had an okay time and it probably deserves and probably deserves an extra star, but there wasn’t anything particularly extraordinary about it and I would not feel the need to do this trail again. The hike back to the car is a good reminder if you’re in shape or not ;)

Also worth noting - there is a large section of poison oak/ivy between Devore and West Fork ratting the trail. Use caution.

Good moderate hike. The way back up is bit killer. Some good views and not many people. I want to go back and do the hike when there is more water. Seems it would be much more fun and interesting that way.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Found out about this route via ModernHiker and did it as a day hike over the summer. The format of the trail is descent, then a mostly flat creekside hike to the West Fork Campground, then turning around hiking back out. I usually like to get elevation gain over with first, but it was interesting to do the reverse. The West Fork Campground is a really beautiful spot along the river, and I definitely plan to come back and camp there overnight sometime. It also serves as the junction between this trail and Red Box Trail. The trail doesn't seem to get much use, so expect some wildlife encounters (we saw a rattlesnake, I've heard of other hikers who encountered bears). Also note that if the creek is dry, as it was when I hiked it, you may miss the points that would normally be crossings and find yourself hiking down a dry creek bed. This happened to me a couple of times but it was never hard to relocate the actual trail.

Saturday, November 11, 2017