Shortcut Canyon Trail To West Fork Campground

Shortcut Canyon Trail To West Fork Campground is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Singing Springs, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Good moderate hike. The way back up is bit killer. Some good views and not many people. I want to go back and do the hike when there is more water. Seems it would be much more fun and interesting that way.

Found out about this route via ModernHiker and did it as a day hike over the summer. The format of the trail is descent, then a mostly flat creekside hike to the West Fork Campground, then turning around hiking back out. I usually like to get elevation gain over with first, but it was interesting to do the reverse. The West Fork Campground is a really beautiful spot along the river, and I definitely plan to come back and camp there overnight sometime. It also serves as the junction between this trail and Red Box Trail. The trail doesn't seem to get much use, so expect some wildlife encounters (we saw a rattlesnake, I've heard of other hikers who encountered bears). Also note that if the creek is dry, as it was when I hiked it, you may miss the points that would normally be crossings and find yourself hiking down a dry creek bed. This happened to me a couple of times but it was never hard to relocate the actual trail.