Shoemaker Canyon Road, East Fork San Gabriel River

Shoemaker Canyon Road, East Fork San Gabriel River is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from September until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Interesting Road to Nowhere, two abandoned tunnels, chaparral, nice canyon views In the early days of the Cold War in the late 1950's, our government decided that L.A. needed an escape route in case of a nuclear attack. Building Shoemaker Canyon Road was the supposed solution. But they soon abandoned this ill-conceived project, leaving a "road to nowhere" and nasty scares in some of the most rugged and beautiful terrain in the San Gabriels. Today, this well-graded dirt road penetrates several miles up the East Fork of the San Gabriel River, on the east-facing slope hundreds of feet above the water. And then it ends. No glamorous destination. The road just stops abruptly in the thick brush on a steep mountainside. The hike begins at the locked gate and proceeds up the road about 2.5 miles, passing through two long road tunnels in route. At the end of the second tunnel is where the maintained road ends. Unless you're wearing long pants and prepared for bushwhacking for another half mile, this is where you'll want to turn around and head home.

Note: The elevation gain listed on this page appears to be way off. I extended this hike by 1.1 miles and only recorded 1,762 feet gain with the AllTrails app.

Despite its uneventful destination, this hike offers great views of Mt. Baldy, Iron Mountain, and other nearby peaks. There's no shade other than the two tunnels, so bring a hat and at least 1 litter of water if you come on a hot day.

Been hiking for years. I always come to this trail whenever I make the trip back home.

This trail got me back on hiking its a good somewhat easy one. I did it in 90 degree weather finished 3 bottles of water by the time I hit tunnel 2.

Beautiful hike the yellow foliage aroma is wonderful added to the beauty of the canyon

Fun trail to go up on with my bike and lots of Beautiful views. found this spot where someone made a heart shaped fire pit to the left of the trail when you go pass first marker. 2 tunnels with no light but you can see out the other side, when you out of 2nd one raid turns to trail on side of mountain over looking bridge to nowhere at the end. it's all up hill so be ready for legs to burn If on a bike lol

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Is a fire road,really nice to get to the tunnels. After the tunnel is a little trail really hard trail. You can this trail for 2 miles until and really enjoy it this day. I need a lot of water it's not shade so bring hat.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

All up hill and very sunny don't forget to take a hat. Also lots of bees.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Overlooking the bridge to no where trail this "road" is pretty basic. Im just not a fan of hiking on dirt roads. However, when we went the road was loaded with yellow desert flowers that smelled amazing.

Monday, March 28, 2016

went there today for a quick hike. it was a nice stroll through the LA forest. lots of mosquitoes towards the end and once the sun goes down. graffiti in the tunnel is always a sad thing to see, but none the less a great hike.. A hiker said they looped around to rattle snake canyon and back through shoemaker trail. I found the trail at the end and followed it for a bit but it was late and had to turn back.. I will return! ps. take lots of water.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Nice little hike. To some pretty cool old nuclear shelter tunnels. Only takes a hour or less to get there have fun be safe

Friday, March 11, 2016

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Easy hike, great views and the tunnels are cool.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Sunday, December 07, 2014

Monday, April 15, 2013

Two of my girlfriends cancelled going to the East Fork Trail (Bridge to Nowhere) and my girlfriend needed me to watch her daughter so I changed my plans. Me and Marlene (6 years old) hiked the six (6) miles up to Shoemaker Trail. It was an easy walk and a great way to get your exercise. All together, we had a very nice day.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Was a hot hike. I took it to the very end. It was sorta spooky because its not a very high traffic area. The high walls really make you feel isolated. There are no huge water sources on this trail. Bring lots of water. The end was neat. I found it interesting the history behind the tunnels and how the last tunnel goes to nowhere. The tunnel is long and dark. But the words "LOVE" are found in mosaic tile along the wall. Which was nice to see. It was an interesting hike but not one that I would do over and over.