Shipwreck Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palos Verdes Peninsula, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This is a rocky hike along the beach to a shipwreck site. Although the hike is near the road, it has great views. Wear sturdy shoes. Great ocean views, lovely bays, exciting shipwreck to explore, rocky shoreline.

Trail head was difficult to ID at first, but after asking around, we parked at Paseo Del Mar & Avenida Mirola. The view is amazing. Very rocky path.

This is definitely hard but we enjoyed the adventure. Backpacked our little one down the whole way and stayed low. Our 7yr old son was very into it. When it comes to walking on rocks the whole way we didn't really mind it and it was fun working our way to the end.

Didn't really enjoy it. Walking on rocks all the time and the shipwreck is not worth it.

Wear real hiking boots or hard soled shoes. You can actually drive down closer to the start of the real trail. The All Trails App has you starting in the neighborhood and walking half a mile up the trail start. Some parts might be tricky during high tide so be mindful.

It was well worth the millions of rocks we had to walk through. We recorded about 6.5 miles total maybe because we took the long way. I’d recommend coming back up past the shipwreck to just walk a regular path back which was probably around 3.3 miles.

Loved the solitude. Extremely rocky but brautiful. Ruined a boot and was saved by a cole haan shoe that I came across and salvaged the lace. Be wary of the tides

I took the drain pipe down to the shore and veered left heading to the shipwreck. It’s a long haul through often unstable rocks. I would not recommend this part of the hike for small children and dogs, nor would I recommend hiking this section alone unless you are an experienced hiker. It would be very easy to turn an ankle, and I had no phone/internet connection while I was at the shore. Once you reach the shipwreck, you have the option of scaling the cliff wall with hands and feet (dangerous and not recommended) or turning back to go the way you came in. Either option is unsavory if you are injured or exhausted. In the end, I’m glad I went. The wreck had some creepy factor to it which was fun, but I would not do it again by myself!

Had a good time. Started at the parking lot right where Paseo del Mar splits off from Palos Verdes Blvd. There are a couple of ways to go down the bluff but I ended up taking the Drain Pipe way. This trail is hard only in the sense that getting down and back up the bluff is a shuffle and the whole trail is on rocks. Would def recommend taller hiking shoes for ankle support and cushy socks.

Great, beautiful challenging hike. My family are all avid hikers and this one was a bit difficult because of the rocks. I have weak ankles and even with wearing hiking boots with great support, two days after the hike it feels like my ankle has a mild sprain. However, DO NOT let that keep you from going on this hike! I loved it so much! We went down the area with the ropes and followed the shore all the way past the shipwreck and then up the steep hill back to the road. We didn’t stop at all because we were concerned about high tide closing us in, but we were still out there at high tide. The path was pretty narrow in some spots, but didn’t keep us from going through. We loved all the little crabs in between the rocks as we went! The only thing that I wasn’t too fond of was the seaweed. It was very slippery! We took a 8 and 10 year old. The 8 year old had a hard time by the end, but he doesn’t go on as many hikes as my son (the 10 year old). If you just want to see the shipwreck, I recommended going backward on the trail from this map and then going back. It’s much shorter and easier for those who don’t want to deal as much with the rocks. We started about 8 am and finished about 12 pm. We didn’t see any other hikers the whole time, just every once in a while we would see people fishing.

The views were amazing, but I'm not really sure the hike should be rated at "hard". There is minimal ascending or descending. Great for a few hours and head past the shipwreck for more amazing views.

An amazingly beautiful hike!!! Took two groups there and it was really great fun! We used the rope to get down the cliff which was a great call and hiking along the water is fun and challenging at the same time. We actually climbed up the cliff about a half a mile after the shipwreck and then it’s about an 8 minute drive back to the car! I highly recommend this hike!!!

This map leads you to a trailhead that is about 3+ miles from the shipwreck. I may have missed the actual trailhead because I just went straight down to the beach and started scrambling over rocks. It was a tough walk doing the full 3 miles. Definitely wear good hiking boots with ankle support and check for low tide. I wouldn't bring a dog. All the rocks would have to be rough on their paws. When leaving I doubled-back for about a mile and took a trail up to the main road.You could start nearer these entrance trails to reduce your rock hiking. There are a few off of Palos Verdes Drive.

Not worth it

Very cool. Needs sturdy shoes with good wet-grip. Check the high-tide time or you will be soaked up to your waist when passing some locations.

Here’s the low down....yes, the trail is all rocks, but check when low tide is and go then. The rocks aren’t tough to get through at all and the hike is AWESOME! You can bring your dog and he doesn’t have to be on a leash. Put “Shipwreck Trail” in Apple Maps and it takes you to the entrance where you can walk down the pipeline (it’s a barely visible entrance to the right of a house). Once you pass the shipwreck, keep walking and exploring until you find the exit trail and walk back to your car via the road.

I explored a little further down the beach past the exit and found some really cool spots to hang and watch the ocean. Check it out....you won’t regret it at all!

This was a fun quick hike. great for dogs and young kids.

I accidentally went off down a different path but eventually got to the shipwreck area. When the paved road starts to curve left at the top of the hill there’s a path I followed that had a rope to help you get down to the beach. This was an added bonus of adventure and had great views! At the beach there is only one way to follow. It takes you left and you get to do some climbing if you want. The views are amazing and yes there are rocks to walk on, but it’s not that bad. I almost didn’t do this hike because of all the reviews about the rocks being terrible but there’s enough of a path where everyone has walked that it’s just fine. I actually ran most of the way back from the shipwreck just for a bonus workout and navigating the rocks was completely manageable. Definitely worth the view!!!

love this hike, lots of rock jumping, wear good grip water shoes, and pay attention to the tide if you go too late the tide will creep up and you'll be swimming instead of hiking

Monday, January 08, 2018

I liked it a lot. it was quite challenging walking on individual rocks but it is worth saying you did it in the long run. There are a bunch of little tiny sandbugs that won't harm you. On the way back we cheated and took the pipe way back to the beginning of the trail so we didn't have to walk on all those rocks.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

this place was a trek to get to across 6-12 in rocks and the tide , but boy was it cool once we got to the shipwreck . I initially followed a cement drainage area down to the beach and turned left , then just walked shoreline to shipwreck.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

love this trail it is difficult because your jumping on rocks the whole time, so you have to have good water grip shoes and do it in the mornings because after 2 or 3 the tide starts going up and the trail get covered

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Awesome! Wear appropriate footwear. Beautiful

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Beautiful and serene. Definitely worth the hike!

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Awesome hike. The 6 mile hike they show on here starts from a parking lot and you walk up a neighborhood street. I wouldn't say this trail is hard but you are walking on rocks 95% of the time.

Friday, October 20, 2017

Had to cut the hike short because the rocks along the shore had so much washed up seaweed and, consequently, flies/ insects! Too many to walk through. Nice while it lasted :( also, the app makes you begin at the Malaga Cove school so you'll walk up a residential area but you'll find the trail entrance soon enough.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Not very much hiking but has great ocean views. I was looking for a bit more of an actual hike and not half of it walking up paved street.

Monday, October 02, 2017

The directions take you to a nearby free parking lot. From here it'll be a 1.5 mile walk on the street to the trailhead. There's plenty of street parking near the trail as well, but I wanted the mileage so I didn't mind the extra legwork.

I've read warnings about how miserable the hike is base on the rocky shoreline, but I didn't think it was too bad. It is worth the view to jumble through all the rocks. Careful footing is needed especially as you draw closer to the wreckage. Algae and beached kelp make the best places to stand close to the ship slippery.

Come earlier to hike, I suspect the heat of mid day amplify the nauseating aroma of rotting seaweed and hobo piss.

Take the time to check out the interesting history of the SS Dominator. It's been there for over 50 years!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Beautiful n helluva hike on the rocks.... gotta get it done before tide comes in.

Saturday, July 29, 2017