Shipwreck Trail

Shipwreck Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palos Verdes Peninsula, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This is a rocky hike along the beach to a shipwreck site. Although the hike is near the road, it has great views. Wear sturdy shoes. Great ocean views, lovely bays, exciting shipwreck to explore, rocky shoreline.

I liked it a lot. it was quite challenging walking on individual rocks but it is worth saying you did it in the long run. There are a bunch of little tiny sandbugs that won't harm you. On the way back we cheated and took the pipe way back to the beginning of the trail so we didn't have to walk on all those rocks.

this place was a trek to get to across 6-12 in rocks and the tide , but boy was it cool once we got to the shipwreck . I initially followed a cement drainage area down to the beach and turned left , then just walked shoreline to shipwreck.

love this trail it is difficult because your jumping on rocks the whole time, so you have to have good water grip shoes and do it in the mornings because after 2 or 3 the tide starts going up and the trail get covered

Awesome! Wear appropriate footwear. Beautiful

Beautiful and serene. Definitely worth the hike!

Awesome hike. The 6 mile hike they show on here starts from a parking lot and you walk up a neighborhood street. I wouldn't say this trail is hard but you are walking on rocks 95% of the time.

Had to cut the hike short because the rocks along the shore had so much washed up seaweed and, consequently, flies/ insects! Too many to walk through. Nice while it lasted :( also, the app makes you begin at the Malaga Cove school so you'll walk up a residential area but you'll find the trail entrance soon enough.

Not very much hiking but has great ocean views. I was looking for a bit more of an actual hike and not half of it walking up paved street.

The directions take you to a nearby free parking lot. From here it'll be a 1.5 mile walk on the street to the trailhead. There's plenty of street parking near the trail as well, but I wanted the mileage so I didn't mind the extra legwork.

I've read warnings about how miserable the hike is base on the rocky shoreline, but I didn't think it was too bad. It is worth the view to jumble through all the rocks. Careful footing is needed especially as you draw closer to the wreckage. Algae and beached kelp make the best places to stand close to the ship slippery.

Come earlier to hike, I suspect the heat of mid day amplify the nauseating aroma of rotting seaweed and hobo piss.

Take the time to check out the interesting history of the SS Dominator. It's been there for over 50 years!

Beautiful n helluva hike on the rocks.... gotta get it done before tide comes in.

Pretty

This hike is not very difficult. Most of the way you are just walking on flat ground. The trail is just covered in rocks which makes it harder to walk. Not as fun as a regular hike to me

I love this hike! If you aren't familiar with the area, just know that you have to hike down a drain pipe, I walk on the side of it because in the morning & afternoon it can get slippery. If you aren't at the drain pipe keep looking or it will add about 2 miles to your hike depending on where you park.

The directions to this place is so confusing. We followed a yelp review which stated to park on 600 paseo del mar which left us about 2.5-3 miles from the shipwreck. I wish we would of known that there was a easier way to it. We hiked about 2 mikes on unstable rocks under hot and humid weather. But on our way to the shipwreck we found the "drain pipe" everyone mentions and realized we can go up that instead of going back the way we came. Coming from the drain pipe, it's about 1 mile to the shipwreck and back.
Probably not my most favorite hike because of the rocky road but the views were amazing.

The map shows the start of this "trail" as the public parking right next to school. The trail actually starts about 10 minutes down the road.

This is not a safe hike on an established trail. It is meandering over miles of beach rocks and boulders as well as wading through swarms of bugs and flies.

There are great scenic views throughout, but probably not worth the risk of a sprained ankle or worse that is a constant threat through out this route.

Instead of risking the injury returning back the same way, we decided to go past the shipwreck and followed a trail that led to the road which we took back.

Good scenic route, would not recommend to faint of heart as the loose and slippery rocks pose a moderate threat.

A

Beware: the directions do NOT take you to the trailhead. It's literally 2-ish miles down the road.
That being said it's crazy steep and not for the faint of heart. Make sure the tide is out or you might be in for an unexpected surprise! Gorgeous, sweeping views!

It was a lot harder than I was expecting... rocks everywhere, and the tide coming in quickly makes it kinda terrifying! Dead seal washed ashore, but worth trying

Walking on rocks for hours was miserable. This wasn't a hike so much as an attempt not to sprain my ankle.

The shipwreck is cool, but the route here is totally off and it really isn't a hike at all. It's basically walking flat on rocks for miles. We drove a little further up and went down the real start of trail and rather than trek back along the rocks we took another dirt trail close to the ship back up (which was very sketchy and dry) then we ran the trail that goes along the road and on the road. It was about 7 miles RT. I'd recommend just driving all the way down to that little trail down and it's a short little trek on the rocks