Shields Peak Trail

Shields Peak Trail is a 13.8 mile out and back trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that features a river. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.8 miles Elevation Gain: 4,242 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Really loved this hike. We decided to bad Anderson peak after and would have done east San Bernardino trail but my new boots making blisters. There were more people on the forsee creek train than I expected but the trail, mostly backpackers and a group of trail runners. Went with my girlfriend and we each drank around 2.5 liters of water. The trail was very easy to follow and pretty well maintained, a coup of think areas where I was glad to be wearing pants. only a few pieces of trash which I took back with me so I hope there won’t be any on your hike. Also I made an elevation sign for shields peak and placed it up there so I’m excited to see the future pictures. And we had a snowball fight at the top in July.

Having hiked this trail on an annual basis for over 20 years today was the first time since the Lake fire in 2015 that I have hiked it. Started out from the trailhead at 6:15 and reached the talus rock summit of Shields Pk. about 3 hours later. I was happy to see that the fire had only touched the Eastern most portions of the trail leaving most of this beautiful forest untouched. The views eastward from the peak include Charelton, Jepson, Gorgonio, and San Jacinto as well as many other of the lesser peaks near 10K. After a short break on Shields I headed over to Anderson Pk. the 3rd tallest peak in the range of individual prominence for another short break. The views from Anderson are a bit more obscured as there are more trees on this summit, but with a bit of moving around all high summits can be viewed from this peak. A very nice day with less than a dozen people encountered during the day, all of which were on the decent.

Friday, February 19, 2016

Took the Forcee creek trail to Anderson flats then on to Shields and Anderson peaks (the trail was closed when I hiked it). Snow the entire way and the trail is impossible to follow and completely ends at the junction to the flats. Had to use GPS and forge thigh high snow to ridgeline. I think I bagged both peaks but did not see signs on either so who knows. I would highly recommend flagging trees along the way so you don't get lost and would wear micro spikes at the least. If you are new to hiking this is not the trail for you.