Sherwin Lakes Trail

Sherwin Lakes Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 898 feet Route Type: Out & Back

11/2/19...Good walk in the forest. Trail views of Crowley Lake, mammoth, and Owens valley. Uphill all the way in but mild ascent w spacious, easy to follow trail. More like a 5 plus mile trail. Pretty, Peaceful lake, w/ rocks for sitting...only one stream at the start of the trail.

Very good place for fishing caught some natural brook trout

Did this trail Oct 22, 2019.. Beautiful trail with plenty of shade. We only had one day so we felt the uphill since didn't have time to acclimatize. We got to the lake in an hour an a half which surprised us. We think we also got to second Sherwin lake. We came the right day, since a girl told us it had been windy previous days. About 68 and sunny.

Just finished this trail at 5:43pm on 10/12/19. Just starting to get dark. Beautiful trail with a variety of manzanita, rocks, pine trees, aspen, cottonwood and willows. etc. Went to see the fall colors. Beautiful golden aspens around the lake. We will do this again. God created another masterpiece here.

This lake is nice but there are way better ones in the area. Nice big views on the switchbacks on the way up/down. Wouldn’t do this one again.

My favorite Mammoth hike. Note: driving there look for the sign on the Sherwin creek road opposite the turn (coming from Mammoth, its on the left side of road, but you turn right), to get to the parking lot for this trail. Nice clear paths, and a gradual climb to a beautiful lake. If you want more challenge, continue the extra 3 miles up to Valentine Lake. Trees were just staring to change in a couple areas by the lake. This is a great hike on a windy Mammoth day...lots of protection...till the top :) On hot days, leave early, somewhat exposed.

Perfect morning walk for the pups to get some energy out. Lots of rocks and not a ton of foot traffic which made the trail perfect!

nice trail, not too busy, no one swimming as its in the 60's today. trail is part dirt track, sand, some root and granite steps but mostly granite step a-rounds. Solo horseback rider whose tracks appeared to carry on to Valentine lake. The lab enjoyed the water, wasnt too cold. We hiked to the back side across the creek, few persons and prettier. Also a few campsites tucked away with easy water access.

recorded Sherwin Lakes Trail

Great hike, lots to see, even a few deer...

Nice trail lots of shade. Starts with a mountain stream and then a 2 mile up with a mild grade. The lake at the top is beautiful.

Nice views on the way up the switchbacks. Mostly shady in the morning when we went. Intermittent shade on the way back down at 11:30ish. Beautiful lake with little islands. Valentine lake can be reached if you continue left on the trail. Good workout for not too many miles. Easy parking and restrooms there.

Great trail with pretty scenery. The back drop of the mountain side against the lake is truly amazing! It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to Sherwin Lake. The switchbacks and ascent can be heart pumping but are manageable. Valentine Lake can also be reached on the same trail but we did not venture that far. Being short on time we decided to just stay and have a picnic lunch. My husband fished for a bit but did not get any bites. There is a small waterfall that feeds from the nearby creek into the lake and also another close by that flows down from the side of the mountain. We were lucky and found some trees to cross over the creek to get to these sites. We also noticed some nice spots where backpackers have set up camp. I would recommend this short but worthy hike!

Fun hike today. Had the lake to ourselves for most of the day. We took our time and enjoyed some fishing and exploring around the lake. Very few mosquitoes.

Great trail. Not difficult. Easy to stay on trail and great for families. We weren’t able to cross the creek at the very end.

Fits into the moderate hike category fairly well. The switchbacks are the hardest part of the hike but it's worth the effort for the views. Conserve your water for the switchbacks and take a filter to refill once you get to the top. There is a small creek that feeds into the lake not to far from the spot when you are finally close to the shoreline. It's only a few minutes further and makes all the difference.

Awesome trail the family and I did. Some amazing fishing at the lake so the boys stayed there to fly fish while my daughter and I hiked back after eating lunch. Be ready for some cardio on the way up tho!

Easy to moderate hike, good if you are looking for quick hike to do. The lake was beautiful.

Easy, lots of switchbacks. The lake is pretty but it’s worth it to continue on to Valentine Lake if you have the time!

Pretty easy hike, three hours with stop for lunch. Dog friendly. Good shade at 9:00am. Lake is very high, limiting water access. Nice viewpoint 1/8 mile past first lake access. Would not attempt stream crossing!

07/05/19. Got a late start (noon) so only went to Sherwin Lake - next time we'll go all the way to Valentine. Took us 3 hours with lots of stops to appreciate the gorgeous vistas and tromp around the lake shore. Very breezy which kept it cool, alternating shade and exposure. Strictly speaking you don't need poles, but I used mine the whole way and was glad I had them. The incline to the lake is steady so you'll get your cardio in a nice fat-burning range but not feel like you're going to die. I think anyone with decent fitness and hiking experience would think of this as a fairly easy hike; it's beautiful and well worth it. Trail very visible and easy to follow, and there's a lot of sand which is kind to the feet.

Did this 7/4/19. No snow to sherwin lake. Did the hike as an ease in for the weekend ahead. Almost 1k very in 2.5 miles. Trail is easily marked. Dog friendly. Pretty exposed but I also got a really late start (1pm) so lots of sun. Good if you’re looking for something not super long and strenuous. Great views. :)

Started late in the day (4PM) and easily hit the lake by ~5:15...I was taking it easy and used this hike to help get used to the elevation. I think the late hour helped because the trail was relatively empty and the lake once I hit it was quiet, serene and stunning. If I had started a little earlier I could have made it to Valentine but I wasn't quite sure whether I could have maintained the first 2.5 mile pace. I will say that I met a few people going down who were under the impression this was a much easier hike than it was, and they were cutting switchbacks because they were in a hurry. Don't do this...please...help keep the trail in great shape for future hikers.

Lovely views and went on the Valentine Lake. A little snow still on the trail right before you get to Valentine Lake .

Beautiful hike. Almost no one on the trail. Going out all uphill but ok with all the switchbacks. No snow on the trail.

Graded moderate because if the 900ft of climb, nevertheless, as 900ft climbs go, this was an easy one. Always good under foot, and never very steep. The final walk up to the lakes is level, more or less, and makes a very nice lunch spot. 100% clear of snow in 4th week of June.

Loved this hike! Perfectly moderate for two intermediate hikers in their late 20s, especially not being used to the altitude! Although according to my Apple Watch, it’s more like 5 miles out and back, especially if you walk a little further than the first small inlet of the lake to get a better view. The trail starts out with gradual incline and becomes steeper with more switchbacks as you get higher up the mountain. A few narrow areas where you’ll have to watch your step. Trail clearly marked throughout, wasn’t too crowded.