Sherman Pass Trail to Sherman Peak

easy 12 reviews

Sherman Pass Trail to Sherman Peak is a 7.1 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kernville, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 km Elevation Gain: 252 m Route Type: Out & Back

Sherman Pass trail provides an quick out-and-back hike to Sherman Peak, where you will find a radio transmitter along with some great views.

Great trail, beautiful views as you hike on top of the ridge. Unfortunately, we had to turn back at the base of Sherman Peak due to seeing smoke in the canyon below us. Can’t wait to come back to check out the peak, but well worth the hike.

Hiked this trail last weekend and clocked in at 5.5 miles! I would rate this trail as 4 stars because the trail is not well marked at all. But it was the perfect amount of adventure/trail finding for me. There is a fork in the trail about a mile before the summit and this is where I lost it. Instead of making a very sharp left, I kept going straight. Once I found the trail again, it was very clear and there are nice switchbacks that lead you up to the peak. On my way back I saw where I got confused. There are rockstacks EVERYWHERE to indicate where to go! So on my way back, where you need to make that sharp left turn I put a few more on the rocks. Don’t get discouraged, this trail is the perfect hike and so worth the 360 views at the top. There’s an old medallion on a rock at the rock scramble on top of Sherman Peak.

June 29,2019 What a wonderful trail this was! I recorded 5.3 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 994 feet. The hike was relatively easy with the constant gradual ascent. In the beginning you will walk through a beautiful pine forest. Eventually you will reach some clearings where you will have spectacular views of the surrounding area. Before long, the summit will be in your sights. There are a couple of utility buildings and antenna towers at the top. The summit is a pile of borders which you will have to scramble over in order to find the medallion indicating the summit. There was still snow in large patches when we went despite the warm sunny weather. The views from the top are spectacular. You park at the Sherman Pass Vista across the street from the trailhead, where there are great views to the East. There is also a relatively clean the toilet.

Mon Oct 16 2017

Beautiful hike through pine forest with fantastic views. Trail was easy to follow for about 2 miles then it kind of wasn't. There were some bike tire tracks and some cairns then nothing, our kids had had enough so we climbed up to the ridge, took some pics and turned around, felt slightly cheated as we'd gone nearly the full way but not enough to spoil it. One other thing, it is a long way from anywhere....

Sun Sep 17 2017

The weather up here during the summer is the best. There was snow up here at the beginning of June.

Thu Jun 08 2017

Short, but nice hike. Great views.

Fri Jun 22 2018