Learn more

Shepherd Saddle Road is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Length 13.3 mi Elevation gain 2,647 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)

Some users have reported a closed gate 2 miles into this trail. The dirt road starts about 10 miles up the North Fork Road in Three Rivers. It's a bit hard to see on the sharp left curve. Rutted for 1/2 mile then smooth dirt. At 2 miles you'll pass a gate to enter Sequoia National Park. At 4 miles you'll pass another gate and the road becomes Sycamore down to The General's Hwy / Hwy 198 and the park employee housing.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (19)
Photos (3)
Recordings (9)
Completed (23)
M M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 17 2020
Washed out

this intro states a locked gate 2 miles in . this access is BLM property at the locked gate it becomes National park service. after that point, there is NO offroad vehicle access, no dogs on trail. There is too much shooting, empty casings and trash . Pack it out !! This road is heavily rutted from ORV and erosion. It is a fire control road, unmaintained.

Cristian Sotelo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 22 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingWashed out

I would not recommend this trail for beginners. I am a beginner at off-roading and I was inches away from flipping my truck in multiple occasions. I think this trail is meant for smaller off-roading vehicles with big tires. I had two spotters helping me one the tuff spots and it was still extremely difficult. I drove my 02 Silverado 1500 z71. It has 32’s on it with a 5 inch lift. The tree branches were scraping the sides and the top of my truck the whole way up and down. The reason I don’t recommend this trail for beginners is because you are so high up next to a huge cliff most of the trail, and huge 3ft-5ft drops, one false move you could flip your vehicle or worse. But it’s a pretty beautiful scenic view. I also have tow mirrors and I had to fold them in or else I wouldn’t fit in some tight spots. There is one spot in the trial where I had to fit in an extremely narrow spot and one side of my truck there was a 4ft drop and on the other side it was the cliff. I was less than 3 inches away from both. I honestly don’t know how I made it back out. I went far enough to see the gate closed and turned back around. It was good learning experience though.

zach boris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Feb 24 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingWashed out

First part of the trail was good. About a mile in the road is washed out to about four feet deep. If you have a small vehicle ( Jeep or Toyota) you can make it on the tight side of the trail

John Gomez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jan 25 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingWashed out

I made it about .7 miles and came across a big washed out area. I have a stock TJ. Wouldn’t even think about crossing in it.

View John's Recording
Rachel Perrie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 24 2019
Hiking

Hiked along the road in rain and low cloud and it was still beautiful. Turned round at 5 miles, after descending a little way down to the next valley, for a total hike of 10 miles. Saw no other hikers, so it was very peaceful. The road looked very washed out before the gate, possibly more so than the last review as recent rains have been heavy. I have uploaded a picture so you can be aware if you attempt to drive it.

Benjamin Caryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 08 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

Trail was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be based on some of these reviews. There was one area with a deep washout that was a bit technical but if you have a buddy who can spot you, none of the obstacles are particularly hard. I completed the trail all the way to the gate (which is still locked) in a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a 2 inch spacer lift and 33 inch tires. Nothing crazy. I did use 4Low on a couple obstacles but did not need lockers. If you have a sway bar disconnect it will come in handy but isn't absolutely necessary. Going and coming back took about 2 hours from the trailhead. Overall, it was a lot of fun. There were quite a few cows that looked like they have escaped from a ranch and are just grazing in the wilderness now, based on some scars and cuts on their backs and how dirty they looked. The trees around the trail have grown into the trail so be prepared to walk away with quite a few pinstripes and scratches. If you want to keep your vehicle pristine, pass on this trail.

Casey Parker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Mar 12 2019
HikingWashed out

Made a few YouTube videos of Shepard https://www.youtube.com/user/MrKcz1

Eric Negrete
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Feb 18 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

This trail is good for beginners I went up in the rain if it were dry could have done it all in 2wd deep washouts and mud made it challenging without a 2nd vehicle

Bradles Finklestien
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jan 26 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingBlowdownWashed out

Overall it was a fun day. Definitely a technical trail. As a beginner it pushed me to the limits of my knowledge and experience. Large washed out trenches throughout the trail and eventually impassable. We met hikers that told us it wouldn’t have mattered anyways since the trail leads into the park and the park gate is always locked. Allowed me to experience getting stuck and I stuck for myself without being in too much peril. Super scenic with a couple pull off-ish areas.

View Bradles's Recording
Christie Marie
Hiking

From reading the reviews, we knew this would be tough, but the route was still more technical than expected. We actually turned around prior to the park gate so did not even go 2 miles. Now, we are new to off roading so this trail might not be that hard for people with more experience. The views are great and this would be an easy hike.

View Christie's Recording
Jay R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 07 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

first time up here, we took our quads. it's pretty good hidden place. first few miles are technical, you really need to pick your path. over all good place for a quick trip

Brook Olson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 25 2018

This should not be rated EASY!!! The ruts are insane. I wouldn’t even consider taking a long wheel base my lifted Rubicon with 35’s were perfect for this trail not sure how smaller tires kept up. Super fun but def a clincher

Amanda D.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Apr 13 2018
OHV/Off Road Driving

Pretty difficult for even a 4x4 w/ 3" lift. Really glad we aired down before starting, parts of the trail are washed out and had alot of rocks some really deep (and scary) ruts. After 2 miles, came across a closed gate and had to turn around. We went into the sequoia foothills visitor center to ask about it, and was told it is a park ranger only trail. If this is really the case I wish there was sign at the start of the road.

Amy Goss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Dec 26 2017
OHV/Off Road Driving

Fun trail but should be rated more difficult for off roading. We had to stop and reverse about a mile in because of a deep 4 foot rut on one side and a drop off on the other. Will attempt again when we have someone else with us in case things go bad

RichaRd Rmuch
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Dec 16 2017

how do I get gate access? or is it open during the seasons?

Derrick Holt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 04 2017

fun

Paul Deming
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 07 2017

nice trail with great view's

kenny .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 06 2018
View kenny's Recording
Mike East
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Feb 02 2017
View Mike's Recording