Shepherd Canyon

Shepherd Canyon is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If you hit directions it will not take you to the trail head. This hike crosses Santo Blvd. Park at amaro and Antigua for a good start to the west side. Go down the hill to start the hike. You can emerge at Santo and cross the large street to begin the east side of the trail.

Great little hike for something close by!

Easy for the kids and shaded in some areas. We saw lots of wildflowers, some wild chamomile and flowering cactus.

Nice walk if you have small children.

It was lovely. Easy trail and very woodsy. Ran it for more of a challenge but definitely a place I'll come back to!

Great hidden gem. Lots of trees and shade and an easy hike.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

A couple different ways to use the trail. I used the west entrance and didn't realize how short it was, about .5 miles. Will try the east entrance next time.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

This without a doubt my favorite place to run. I start here at the little parking spot off of Antigua and run into the mission trails off of the Claremont entrance. Also there is a neat little pond (Dishwater Pond) that I take my kids to, to feed the ducks and fish. Haven't caught a thing but they love getting out there and seeing all the critters.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

We rate this trail higher because it's a suburban gem and can reward birders. Besides the usual suspects, we've seen Red-shouldered Hawk, Curve-billed Thrasher, Canyon Towhee, Common Yellowthroat, Cedar Waxwing, and others we don't regularly see around the county. The loop that Gwen Shi put together and shared with us here definitely looks worth a try.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

This trail has a little of everything. I have done it at least 10 times. In the middle of the trail you'll come across a little lake with fish, it's called Dishwasher Lake. This area was a military base and has signs posted warning about bombs and shells. I have look around a lot in this trail and found nothing. It has woods at the beginning and during the rain season you may have to cross a small creek. You'll go about 1/4 mile into the open area near the lake and after passing you'll go back into the woods. This trail ends at the street and don't go across it's waste of time, it has no enter point. I have seen one snake during the summer, the kids like to fish at the pond or skate board. The trail has a few side trails which lead you into woods or side streets.