Shell Ridge: Twin Ponds Loop

Shell Ridge: Twin Ponds Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Walnut Creek, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It was beautiful! I went in the morning and loved it. The trail is really muddy, so make sure to bring extra shoes for when you finish.

Shell Ridge is close to home for me, so I've been here a lot, ever since I was a kid with my mom. I usually park at Indian Valley school and go from there. Lots of alternative routes you can take in here from fire trails to single-tracks.

Still very muddy. Some nice views up on the ridge. Most of the trails on this track are single track and mountain bikes are not permitted, so I suggested an edit to remove that activity. The trails are very overgrown after the rainy season. I would wear long pants.

Great hike in the winter - very green. Need long pants, at least on this trail and in the winter - cant believe how high the grass has grown. In the Summer very dry and dusty but in March - green & great. Keeping it from a 5 - on parts of the hike you can hear the highways in the distance - not bad - but noticeable. Also a little crowded for me - not Mission Peak crowded but few more people than I like.

Great place to walk. Watch out for rattlesnakes though! Also be sure to bring lots of water! This is a pretty big loop and lots of hills

Great trail and so green now, trail is even grown over but it makes for reduced impact when running. Don't expect to speed through it because there's a good amount of climbing, it's a good mix of climbing/downhill/flat and running on the top of the ridge was awesome.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Great easy/moderate hike. Went about 45 min in and the same back out. Not very many people. Beautiful rolling hills, oaks, and rocky edges.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Great hike to do with the doggie. Easy to find!

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Evening hike on the peaceful trails of Indian Valley and Shell Ridge, enjoyed the sunset on the way back to the trailhead and saw some deers along the way.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Beautiful nice long trail but not moderate

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Excellent hike - great workout!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Lots of cows so be careful if you have a dog. Very pretty the pond was nice and cool.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Its easy and beautiful!

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Dry

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Beautiful!

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Held my first Meetup here earlier today and had a blast! I mistakenly thought the hike was a 2.5 hour hike instead of an hour, so obviously we got done a lot earlier than planned. Some people did Trail Running while the rest of us talked and caught up. I would definitely reccomend this hike, unless you have a fear of cows. Lots of cows.

Abby