Shelf, Gridley, Fuel Break, and Pratt Trails Loop

Shelf, Gridley, Fuel Break, and Pratt Trails Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,295 feet Route Type: Loop

Good vertical hike with nice views and a relaxing downhill finish.

Decided to hike backwards and add a loop around Magic Mountain. The trail on 3/4 of that loop is severely overgrown, with a few places where the walked on grass is not solid and you can easily fall off the mountain if not careful. This wore us out and we cut our loop short.

Started in “June Gloom” and ended with lovely sun and breeze. Some good climbs. Lots of ground bee colonies along the top, though. They were not aggressive but certainly intimidating. We just walked around their nests and moved quickly. A satisfying loop.

Good intermediate hike. I cut in a little at the end to save some time. Very hot in June, make sure to bring at least 1.5L water! Pretty good views of Ojai.

My fiancé and I did this trail this morning. Started just before 8am. It was drizzling but still a beautiful hike. We started at the gridley rd. trail head then took the fuel road to shell rd. The views were amazing but a very rocky trail. No snakes or mountain lions but a lot of birds and butterflies. The trail does differ from the app as you will find trail maps along the hike. It took us about 3 hours for a 6 mile hike. A lot of fun

We came expecting to do the gridley trail out and back but decided to make a loop. Really glad we did it was an amazing hike

We did this hike last week. It has amazing views of Ojai. I think it’s longer than 7 miles. There is not much tree coverage so be prepared for full sun and bring lots of water.

Did this loop yesterday. The trail is in full bloom with a variety of flowers (pictures loaded). Very beautiful views. I am surprised this loop is less than 7 miles! Took 2.5hrs to finish.

This is a nice trail with great views over Ojai. Like some of the other comments I would suggest taking it counterclockwise as the climb is more gradual. The Pratt Trail section on the west is steeper and rockier. At the Eastern end you should amend the trail by continuing up firebreak road to join the hiking trail rather than cutting through private property on the road as shown on the trail map.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Bear tracks found on fire break today!

Friday, November 03, 2017

Beautiful great hike highly recommended...

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Thanks for the detailed notes. My experience was similar to Caffeinated Hiker, but my total was 7.63 miles! Min 938', max 1842', total gain 1293'. I'll add photos.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Did this loop Clockwise, starting at N. Signal Road. My trip was a little different. Northeast corner of original map shown goes through private land, which had gates and No Trespassing signs. We stayed on a fire road/trail (Gridley Canyon, according to bing maps/Hecontage according to google maps) and continued North a bit before turning south toward an overlook over an orange grove. Trail continued along side the groves through some woods and brought us down to Gridley Road.. Turned right on Gridley and walked on the road, facing traffic, for about a third of a mile before getting back on the trail (Shelf Rd/Valley View Rd) just beyond a gate. Total trip, just over 6.8 miles. Enjoyed the varied terrain: hiking past a new vineyard, shaded portions on Pratt Trail & down to Gridley Rd, full sun and rolling hills on Fuel Break Trail, but nice view of Lake Casitas to the west. Good view of some of the rock formations to the east that are north of Fillmore by the Sespe Condor Preserve, too. Fragrant orange blossoms along Gridley Road and Valley View! Elevation ranged from 922' where we parked to 1796' along the Fuel Break Trail, total elevation gain of 1408' over the entire hike.

recorded Recording - Jun 16, 11:27 AM