Shelf, Gridley, Fuel Break, and Pratt Trails Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(67)
Los Padres National Forest

Shelf, Gridley, Fuel Break, and Pratt Trails Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,295 feet Route Type: Loop

Good vertical hike with nice views and a relaxing downhill finish.

private property

Beautiful views of the Ojai Valley.

This is a beautiful loop—you do spend a little time on a road but very briefly. Went about 4 days ago and there were MANY bees. We had to walk through about 3 massive swarms of them (I believe they are known as ground nesting bees and the nests were all over the trail). There was no way to avoid them. We did not get stung but it was a pretty terrifying experience.

Interesting trail, beautiful views. Very sun exposed!

This loop is beautiful that is for sure! However it combines about 3 trails so you do have some time on the road which was a bit confusing, and although I only saw one car I would not suggest bringing children on this loop. The trail is gorgeous with lots of ups and downs and I would for sure do it again!

There’s a few parking spots off the side of the road where the directions lead you. You could also park at the Pratt trailhead parking lot and just start there. Follow the map because all the different trail changes and crossings can get confusing. I went counterclockwise and i passed a good amount of people and they were all going the opposite direction

Started in “June Gloom” and ended with lovely sun and breeze. Some good climbs. Lots of ground bee colonies along the top, though. They were not aggressive but certainly intimidating. We just walked around their nests and moved quickly. A satisfying loop.

Good intermediate hike. I cut in a little at the end to save some time. Very hot in June, make sure to bring at least 1.5L water! Pretty good views of Ojai.

Tue May 07 2019

My fiancé and I did this trail this morning. Started just before 8am. It was drizzling but still a beautiful hike. We started at the gridley rd. trail head then took the fuel road to shell rd. The views were amazing but a very rocky trail. No snakes or mountain lions but a lot of birds and butterflies. The trail does differ from the app as you will find trail maps along the hike. It took us about 3 hours for a 6 mile hike. A lot of fun

We came expecting to do the gridley trail out and back but decided to make a loop. Really glad we did it was an amazing hike

Sun Apr 28 2019

We did this hike last week. It has amazing views of Ojai. I think it’s longer than 7 miles. There is not much tree coverage so be prepared for full sun and bring lots of water.

Tue Apr 02 2019

Did this loop yesterday. The trail is in full bloom with a variety of flowers (pictures loaded). Very beautiful views. I am surprised this loop is less than 7 miles! Took 2.5hrs to finish.

Sun Jan 27 2019

This is a nice trail with great views over Ojai. Like some of the other comments I would suggest taking it counterclockwise as the climb is more gradual. The Pratt Trail section on the west is steeper and rockier. At the Eastern end you should amend the trail by continuing up firebreak road to join the hiking trail rather than cutting through private property on the road as shown on the trail map.

Sun Jan 21 2018

Bear tracks found on fire break today!

Fri Nov 03 2017

Beautiful great hike highly recommended...

Tue Aug 04 2015

Thanks for the detailed notes. My experience was similar to Caffeinated Hiker, but my total was 7.63 miles! Min 938', max 1842', total gain 1293'. I'll add photos.

Sat Apr 06 2013

Did this loop Clockwise, starting at N. Signal Road. My trip was a little different. Northeast corner of original map shown goes through private land, which had gates and No Trespassing signs. We stayed on a fire road/trail (Gridley Canyon, according to bing maps/Hecontage according to google maps) and continued North a bit before turning south toward an overlook over an orange grove. Trail continued along side the groves through some woods and brought us down to Gridley Road.. Turned right on Gridley and walked on the road, facing traffic, for about a third of a mile before getting back on the trail (Shelf Rd/Valley View Rd) just beyond a gate. Total trip, just over 6.8 miles. Enjoyed the varied terrain: hiking past a new vineyard, shaded portions on Pratt Trail & down to Gridley Rd, full sun and rolling hills on Fuel Break Trail, but nice view of Lake Casitas to the west. Good view of some of the rock formations to the east that are north of Fillmore by the Sespe Condor Preserve, too. Fragrant orange blossoms along Gridley Road and Valley View! Elevation ranged from 922' where we parked to 1796' along the Fuel Break Trail, total elevation gain of 1408' over the entire hike.

recorded Recording - Apr 27, 10:48 AM