Sheep Canyon Trail

Sheep Canyon Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ranchita, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until October.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 915 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This was an absolutely gorgeous area of the park and we were fortunate to see it for the superbloom, but it is NOT ideal as a backpacking trail. The trail is actually a single-lane dirt road accessible to vehicles all the way to Sheep Canyon, very popular. It was a particularly busy weekend anyway, so this "hike" was really spent dodging Jeeps every few minutes. It's easy walking, though.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Fantastic camping once you're away from vehicle access points - plan for as much sand as rock if you take the trail rather than the roads. A great walk in from the Coyote Creek crossing. I've found plenty of water every time I've made it into the canyon. While I haven't seen a cougar there, I've had the hair-raising scream come from what seemed like just beyond the light of the fire (winter), sending everyone scurrying to their tents for a 'good' night's sleep...

Friday, June 26, 2015

Hiked up to the "eye" last year, beautiful Oasis at the top, I would classify the canyon hike as difficult, there's no well marked trail once you start up the canyon, you have to find the easiest path, we used webbing to help each other scramble over/up rocks. Water is super cold up there.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Hiked the Sheep Canyon Trail (Anza-Borrego) last March with my son's Boy Scout Troop. It was his first hike after joining the troop and he was looking forward to it. It took 4-wheel drive vehicles to get to the trailhead. Once there we loaded up and headed up the initial, rocky hillside trail. I was told it was to be about 4+ miles to our destination. It was a fun day of hiking on the very open, sandy trails with our fully loaded packs. A few stops along the way to rest and take care of blisters (glad I brought some moleskin) before getting to where we would setup camp. A shorter hike from there led us to a creek where we were able to filter water to refill our packs before settling in for dinner and a night out under the stars. Fun time had by all. It was an OK trail, but not high on my list to get back to.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Most amazing Oasis at the end of this hike. Backpacked in and camped at Sheep Canyon. Day hiked both Canyons then hiked back out. Amazing! Can't believe you're in the desert once you get there!

Monday, January 30, 2006

GREAT MID LEVEL 4x4 ADVENTURE TRAIL!! I have been coming out here for years. A great place for a beginning / intermediate 4x4 adventure. If you have a stock 4x4, pull your stock rocker panel steps or expect them to get a few dings. Other than this, most 4x4's can make the climb with a little driving skill. Noah

off road driving